Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > XO laptops

XO laptops

Nomen Nescio

USA Today http://301url.com/XOlaptops

The XO laptop is supposed to be a low-cost computer targeted at
children in the developing world. It is low on computing power by
modern standards, low on memory, has no hard drive and runs on Linux,
the open-source operating system. Its nickname is "The $100 laptop,"
although it's never been priced quite that low.

So why did people pay as much as $600 for them on eBay, when that kind
of money is enough to buy a much more powerful machine?

"That's not a lot of money to have something that's interesting and
different," Rob Enderle, a technology analyst with the Enderle Group in
San Jose, Calif., told the San Jose Mercury News.

But Americans can buy the machines directly from One Laptop Per Child,
an organization dedicated to providing computers to the developing
world, for $399 -- and half of that money goes to send another XO
laptop to a child in the developing world.

An eBay search this morning http://301url.com/XOeBay listed [over 30]
XO laptops for sale, with most bids hovering around $200 -- so perhaps
the XO boomlet was a Christmas phenomenon.

Rex Ballard

On Dec 26, 1:10 pm, Nomen Nescio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> USA Todayhttp://301url.com/XOlaptops
>
> The XO laptop is supposed to be a low-cost computer targeted at
> children in the developing world. It is low on computing power by
> modern standards, low on memory, has no hard drive and runs on Linux,
> the open-source operating system. Its nickname is "The $100 laptop,"
> although it's never been priced quite that low.

They have been offering them on the "Get one Give one" plan for
months.

> So why did people pay as much as $600 for them on eBay, when that kind
> of money is enough to buy a much more powerful machine?

I bought one of these for my nephew. I wanted to support the OLPC
movement, give a PC to charity, and also get a chance to actually look
at the machine. I got it this morning, and I must say I'm quite
impressed.

It has enough memory to do the job, it also has some built-in flash
memory, and has a slot for SD-RAM, which it uses as a form of
storage. It also has 3 USB ports, which can be used to connect
storage, keyboard, or mice. I haven't tried it with a hub.

The nice thing is that you can use it with thumb drives to get more
storage, as well as using it to share pictures stored on SD-RAM with
my camera.

I had no trouble finding and connecting to public WiFi, and even
connected to my WEP encrypted hub. No trouble browsing, chatting, and
I didn't have trouble viewing RSS feeds. There are also some great
introductory programs that are perfect for 10-16 year old kids who
want to learn a bit more about how to make the computer do things.
There is a program to teach computer programming, and another one that
lets you do music composition, including orchestration. I was
originally planning on giving it to my 8 year old nephew, but now I'm
thinking about giving it to my 17 year old nephew.

The only thing I found a bit awkward was the keyboard. It was a bit
small, but I haven't tried plugging in a larger keyboard yet.

> "That's not a lot of money to have something that's interesting and
> different," Rob Enderle, a technology analyst with the Enderle Group in
> San Jose, Calif., told the San Jose Mercury News.

I think most people understand that they are doing the "Get one Give
one" but they also want the consoles in time for Christmas. I got
mine the day after Christmas. Fortunately, the family won't be
celebrating together until this week-end.

> But Americans can buy the machines directly from One Laptop Per Child,
> an organization dedicated to providing computers to the developing
> world, for $399 -- and half of that money goes to send another XO
> laptop to a child in the developing world.

That's what I did, and I can certainly see where it will help a great
deal. This isn't really a "Toy computer" at all. It has real
computer capabilities, but it's small enough to be carried easily,
light enough to be carried like a book, and it uses a small power
supply to charge a battery pack that will power it for a few hours.

> An eBay search this morninghttp://301url.com/XOeBaylisted [over 30]
> XO laptops for sale, with most bids hovering around $200 -- so perhaps
> the XO boomlet was a Christmas phenomenon.

The other "Hot Item" was the ASUS Eee 4G. It was very similar, a
small screen, simple Linux system, and full capabilities, but more
like a cross between a PDA and a Laptop, for about $400.

Rex

Joel Koltner

"Rex Ballard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The other "Hot Item" was the ASUS Eee 4G. It was very similar, a
> small screen, simple Linux system, and full capabilities, but more
> like a cross between a PDA and a Laptop, for about $400.

I'd say it's just as much a "real" PC as the OLPC machine is. It's certainly
as powerful as most laptops were, say, 3-5 years ago.

I think the real competition to the Eee PC is something like Nokia's internet
tablet, the N800.

Phoon Hencman

On 2007-12-26 18:22:39 -0500, "Joel Koltner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> "Rex Ballard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The other "Hot Item" was the ASUS Eee 4G. It was very similar, a
>> small screen, simple Linux system, and full capabilities, but more
>> like a cross between a PDA and a Laptop, for about $400.

> I'd say it's just as much a "real" PC as the OLPC machine is. It's certainly
> as powerful as most laptops were, say, 3-5 years ago.
>
> I think the real competition to the Eee PC is something like Nokia's internet
> tablet, the N800.

I just got an eee pc, awesome little machine!

alt

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:50:47 -0500, Phoon Hencman wrote:

> On 2007-12-26 18:22:39 -0500, "Joel Koltner"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Rex Ballard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> The other "Hot Item" was the ASUS Eee 4G. It was very similar, a
>>> small screen, simple Linux system, and full capabilities, but more
>>> like a cross between a PDA and a Laptop, for about $400.

>> I'd say it's just as much a "real" PC as the OLPC machine is. It's
>> certainly as powerful as most laptops were, say, 3-5 years ago.
>>
>> I think the real competition to the Eee PC is something like Nokia's
>> internet tablet, the N800.

> I just got an eee pc, awesome little machine!

I've had mine for a few months now. I still love it!

Me

"Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> USA Today http://301url.com/XOlaptops
>
> The XO laptop is supposed to be a low-cost computer targeted at
> children in the developing world. It is low on computing power by
> modern standards, low on memory, has no hard drive and runs on Linux,
> the open-source operating system. Its nickname is "The $100 laptop,"
> although it's never been priced quite that low.
>
> So why did people pay as much as $600 for them on eBay, when that kind
> of money is enough to buy a much more powerful machine?
>
> "That's not a lot of money to have something that's interesting and
> different," Rob Enderle, a technology analyst with the Enderle Group in
> San Jose, Calif., told the San Jose Mercury News.
>
> But Americans can buy the machines directly from One Laptop Per Child,
> an organization dedicated to providing computers to the developing
> world, for $399 -- and half of that money goes to send another XO
> laptop to a child in the developing world.
>
> An eBay search this morning http://301url.com/XOeBay listed [over 30]
> XO laptops for sale, with most bids hovering around $200 -- so perhaps
> the XO boomlet was a Christmas phenomenon.

its not as if they are going to play games or do high volume number
crunching.

I understood they were just to allow the users to surf the internet to see
what the world is doing..............or not doing as the case may be.

Thufir

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:22:39 -0800, Joel Koltner wrote:

> I think the real competition to the Eee PC is something like Nokia's
> internet tablet, the N800.

Ahh, the symmetry of that competition -- either one is a win for the
Linux platform

-Thufir

BillW50

In news:hBIcj.20054$DP1.7006@pd7urf2no,
Thufir typed on Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:35:41 GMT:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:22:39 -0800, Joel Koltner wrote:
>

>> I think the real competition to the Eee PC is something like Nokia's
>> internet tablet, the N800.

> Ahh, the symmetry of that competition -- either one is a win for the
> Linux platform

Linux will never win until devices comes with Linux drivers. And I have
been waiting 16 years for that to happen. I don't see that happening
until Linux goes commercial like Windows. And even Linus Tovalds claims
in his book, he even uses Windows. I myself would run Linux here on my
laptops, except I don't want to turn my laptops into glorified PDAs.

--
Bill

Bigguy

Phoon Hencman wrote:
> On 2007-12-26 18:22:39 -0500, "Joel Koltner"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Rex Ballard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The other "Hot Item" was the ASUS Eee 4G. It was very similar, a
>>> small screen, simple Linux system, and full capabilities, but more
>>> like a cross between a PDA and a Laptop, for about $400.

>> I'd say it's just as much a "real" PC as the OLPC machine is. It's
>> certainly
>> as powerful as most laptops were, say, 3-5 years ago.
>>
>> I think the real competition to the Eee PC is something like Nokia's
>> internet
>> tablet, the N800.

> I just got an eee pc, awesome little machine!

EeePc is great - the more I use it the more I like it. Highly
customisable, lots of apps available, solid build, truly portable, and
has a restore partition.

GB£220 delivered is a bit more than '$100' but worth it for true
portability.

There is surely a (large?) market out there for truly portable laptops
for small bucks...

I think PCs have taken a wrong turn somewhere - ever more powerful
hardware running ever slower, bloatware. Apart from gaming do you really
need 4-5GHz of processor(s) + 2GB RAM... for internet and Office?

OK you need it to run Vista but no-one 'wants' to run Vista, they want
internet access, email, Office etc.

My old 900MHz 768MB Thinkpad is really zippy running Linux - imagine
what a modern laptop would run like with a 'slimmer' version of XP...

Ahh, I must be getting old...

Guy

Linonut

* Bigguy fired off this tart reply:

> I think PCs have taken a wrong turn somewhere - ever more powerful
> hardware running ever slower, bloatware. Apart from gaming do you really
> need 4-5GHz of processor(s) + 2GB RAM... for internet and Office?

Bigger hardware means bigger revenues.

Ever-bloating Microsoft software means bigger revenues.

> OK you need it to run Vista but no-one 'wants' to run Vista, they want
> internet access, email, Office etc.
>
> My old 900MHz 768MB Thinkpad is really zippy running Linux - imagine
> what a modern laptop would run like with a 'slimmer' version of XP...
>
> Ahh, I must be getting old...

And wise!

I used to use a Sun workstation that ran on 32 Mb of RAM.

--
Tux rox!

Group Policy on Wireless laptops Matt Wireless Networking 5 11-24-2004 07:57 PM
Many dropouts when connecting two laptops Someone Beneath the Blue Sky Wireless Networking 1 11-17-2004 11:30 PM
Two laptops, no luck! =?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?= Wireless Networking 4 11-16-2004 01:16 AM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
3 laptops at home wireless help !! Walid Wireless Networking 6 06-25-2004 03:07 PM

Advertisments