Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python for web...

Python for web...

thushianthan15@gmail.com

Hi everyone,

I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
[mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
single book All the python books are covering only CGI part)

Any suggestions? Any recommended book?

Execuse my English.

Thushanthan.

gordyt

Howdy Thushanthan,

Here is one that is hot off the press:

The Definitive Guide to Django: Web Development Done Right
http://www.apress.com/book/view/1590597257

--gordon

Matt Nordhoff

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
> project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
> Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
> tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
> [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
> single book All the python books are covering only CGI part)
>
> Any suggestions? Any recommended book?
>
> Execuse my English.
>
> Thushanthan.

Well, there are multiple different Python web frameworks, including
Django, Pylons, TurboGears and Zope (also the barebones CherryPy).
They're all much more high-level than PHP, including things like
database APIs and templating languages. Most/all of them have books or
at least good documentation and guides.

If you're doing something really simple (one web page, minimal DB usage,
whatever), you can use bare WSGI, perhaps like libraries like Beaker for
sessions.

Google all of the terms I used. There should be information available.

Bruno Desthuilliers

(E-Mail Removed) a Úcrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to develop a web based enterprise application

"enterprise" ???

> for my final year
> project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
> Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ?

Well, I don't know if *you* can, but as far as I'm concerned, that what
I do whenever possible !-)

> tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
> [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
> single book All the python books are covering only CGI part)

Knowing CGI is certainly not the worst starting point wrt/ web
development - I whish more PHP 'programmers' had the minimal
understanding of the HTTP protocol required to write a CGI script (and
any serious web app FWIW).

> Any suggestions?

Django or Pylons are probably what you're looking for. The first one is
the more mature, stable, and well documented, and the second one the
most promising IMHO. If you're new to both web development and Python,
I'd actually recommand Django.

> Any recommended book?

The HTTP 1.1 RFC !-)

> Execuse my English.

Seems fine to me - at least understandable, and that's the important
point, isn't it ?-)

Steve Lianoglou

It's also worthwhile to note that the apress django book listed is
also accessible free online here:

http://www.djangobook.com/en/1.0/

-steve

David Van Mosselbeen

on Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:42:03 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
> project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
> Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
> tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
> [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
> single book All the python books are covering only CGI part)
>
> Any suggestions? Any recommended book?
>
> Execuse my English.
>
> Thushanthan.

You can also take a look to `webpy` and `cherrypy`. These where not yet
mentioned.

--
David Van Mosselbeen
http://dvm.zapto.org:8080/

Tamer Higazi

http://www.djangobook.com/

if you love to read that book online. Otherwise, if you don't have DSL,
just mirror the site for offline usage with "wget"

Tamer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
> project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
> Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
> tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
> [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
> single book All the python books are covering only CGI part)
>
> Any suggestions? Any recommended book?
>
> Execuse my English.
>
> Thushanthan.

Ivan Van Laningham

Hi All--
Django is slick. I just yesterday picked up the book and started
poking away. Downloaded, Installed and running in about ten minutes
(I have several servers I can play with). Today I have several
working pages.

Use mod_python if you can.

<Django-mind-Beginner's-mind>-ly y'rs,
Ivan

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Tamer Higazi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.djangobook.com/
>
> if you love to read that book online. Otherwise, if you don't have DSL,
> just mirror the site for offline usage with "wget"
>
> Tamer
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
> > project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
> > Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
> > tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
> > [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
> > single book All the python books are covering only CGI part)
> >
> > Any suggestions? Any recommended book?
> >
> > Execuse my English.
> >
> > Thushanthan.

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998...laningham.html
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

Berco Beute

> Use mod_python if you can.

Although mod_python is fine, I had more success using fastcgi with
Django (you can run Django as a fastcgi process). It was less
troublesome to set up and the chances your hosting provider supports
it are bigger.

2B

Ivan Van Laningham

Hi All--
I didn't have any trouble setting up mod_python & Django. However, I
am my own hosting provider. That may make a difference.

I can install fastcgi if it's a big win.

Metta,
Ivan

Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours