Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Best Parental Control ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Best Parental Control ?

 
 
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-25-2007
Is there any good parental controls that do not require a yearly due or are
downloadable that do a good job ?
Thanks,
Raz


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
olfart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-25-2007

"The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fkqs06$mr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any good parental controls that do not require a yearly due or
> are downloadable that do a good job ?
> Thanks,
> Raz
>
>

a good slap on the ass is free and usually does the job. But if you are too
lazy to teach your kids right from wrong then you are screwed. There is no
software made that a kid can't learn to get around if he wants to.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Strickland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-25-2007
The best parent control is early training. Well, the best parent control is
to turn the damn thing off, the second best is early training.

Good luck ...




 
Reply With Quote
 
sandy58
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2007
On Dec 25, 12:10 pm, "The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there any good parental controls that do not require a yearly due or are
> downloadable that do a good job ?
> Thanks,
> Raz


Password, timer, key logger (Now you are a SPY if you resort to a key
logger!) Net Nanny.
Perfect Keylogger 1.68.2
http://www.4filehosting.com/file/758...-68-2-rar.html
Punch in the anti-leech code & d'load full version after 30/60 second
wait.
Good luck, Parental Spy
Happy Hogmany from Scotland.
 
Reply With Quote
 
olfart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2007

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 25, 12:10 pm, "The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there any good parental controls that do not require a yearly due or
>> are
>> downloadable that do a good job ?
>> Thanks,
>> Raz

>
> Password, timer, key logger (Now you are a SPY if you resort to a key
> logger!) Net Nanny.
> Perfect Keylogger 1.68.2
> http://www.4filehosting.com/file/758...-68-2-rar.html
> Punch in the anti-leech code & d'load full version after 30/60 second
> wait.
> Good luck, Parental Spy
> Happy Hogmany from Scotland.


Problem is...a keylogger only tells you what the kid has done "after" he has
already done it. Might be too late if he has already given his contact info
to a predetor.
Don't try to use computer software to raise your kid. Get off your butt and
take some parental responsibility


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2007
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> Is there any good parental controls that do not require a yearly due or are
> downloadable that do a good job ?
> Thanks,
> Raz


Looking at some of the freeware out there, a subscription service
by comparison, takes care of all the details. You don't want to
become an amateur IT admin, because your kids will beat you at
computer skills every time. For example, if the product installs
in Windows, on the one PC you own, all the kids have to do,
is plug in a bootable Linux CD, to defeat your best efforts.
Some Linux distros don't even need to install on the hard
drive to work, so they leave no fingerprints when used.
Then the kids can surf without supervision. All that is
needed, is a bootable CD drive.

It is possible to build more secure systems (i.e. almost kid-proof),
but the resulting box might end up being relatively useless. We
used to have things like diskless workstations, and X-terminals,
where the terminal was a basic viewing device. It is pretty hard
to hack something, with no hardware interfaces on it, except an
Ethernet connection that goes to a network filtering device. But
if your kid won't use it, and visits any public library to use
the computers there instead, then anything is possible.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Baron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2007
olfart wrote:

> Don't try to use computer software to raise your kid. Get off your
> butt and take some parental responsibility


As a parent I must agree with "olfart" Teach your kids respect from the
word go !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
 
Reply With Quote
 
sandy58
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2007
On Dec 26, 8:36 pm, Baron <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> olfart wrote:
> > Don't try to use computer software to raise your kid. Get off your
> > butt and take some parental responsibility

>
> As a parent I must agree with "olfart" Teach your kids respect from the
> word go !
>
> --
> Best Regards:
> Baron.


The guy (Raz) asked for software advice. Not some homespun child-
rearing philosophy. He needs that, he goes to a trick-cyclist. Right?
The name of the NG is alt.computer....NOT alt.child.control.
 
Reply With Quote
 
olfart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2007

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 26, 8:36 pm, Baron <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> olfart wrote:
>> > Don't try to use computer software to raise your kid. Get off your
>> > butt and take some parental responsibility

>>
>> As a parent I must agree with "olfart" Teach your kids respect from the
>> word go !
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.

>
> The guy (Raz) asked for software advice. Not some homespun child-
> rearing philosophy. He needs that, he goes to a trick-cyclist. Right?
> The name of the NG is alt.computer....NOT alt.child.control.


Excuuuussse Me.
Read the title of the thread.
"Do you know where your kids are tonite"??


 
Reply With Quote
 
naza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2007
You might want to try openDNS, no need to install any software,(unless
you have a dynamic IP), Just keep One pc on with the IP address
updater so that you IP is always upto date with the service. Basically
it is a DNS server, you can set it up to block adult sites and somehow
blocks all proxies and the ones it does not block, it does somethink
which makes it not work. So that would keep control over the internet
in terms of Adult sites like gambling & porn. You also get the option
of adding an extra 50 blocked sites. It also resolves IP's quicker,
some makes you internet quicker. I have been using it for a while and
it been fine. One issue is that It does not filter out google
searches, but will block the results of them. Its a free service.
Check it out, http://www.opendns.co.uk.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parental Control of Sites Visited Michael Bugala Computer Support 1 07-05-2003 08:49 PM
Re: Parental Control zarathustra Computer Support 12 07-02-2003 12:38 AM
Re: Parental Control zarathustra Computer Support 3 07-01-2003 12:01 PM
Re: Parental Control zarathustra Computer Support 3 07-01-2003 11:59 AM
Re: Parental Control zarathustra Computer Support 1 06-22-2003 11:13 AM



Advertisments