Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Where is the software support for 64 bit Windows?

Where is the software support for 64 bit Windows?

Joe Pasternak

It's been a little over one year that I've been using XP64.

It is apparent to me by now that hardware drivers are hard to find for
this 64bit OS furthermore, I have NOT seen any software boxes in the
retail stores that claim to support Windows XP 64 bit. After Windows
2000, XP, comes Vista (the 32 bit version) so there is no mention
whatsoever about XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit.

Photoshop CS runs on XP but WILL NOT run on XP 64

It seems that Photoshop CS2 will run on XP 64 but the retail box doesn't
say so. Some people do have luck running these types of high-priced
software on xp64 bit and Vista ultimate but why won't the manufacturers
admit one way or the other?

Personally, I like the 64 bit version of Windows XP64 - even though it
seems to me that even Microsoft doesn't fully support it (no 64 bit
flash, and no 64bit IE software update, it reverts to the 32 bit version
for that to which I say horse manure).

My question is: what the hell is going on with this 64bit nonsense? By
the time everyone wakes up and supports this 64 bit hot air, we'll be
ready for 128 and maybe 256 bit.

Microsoft, whasssup??

Gary Mount

Applications written for 32 bit are compatible with 64 bit. That is, a 32
bit application will run on the 64 bit O/S. As long as the application
doesn't require 32 bit drivers. Usually an application doesn't require
drivers, only hardware does.

"Joe Pasternak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:477019fd$0$11059$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's been a little over one year that I've been using XP64.
>
> It is apparent to me by now that hardware drivers are hard to find for
> this 64bit OS furthermore, I have NOT seen any software boxes in the
> retail stores that claim to support Windows XP 64 bit. After Windows 2000,
> XP, comes Vista (the 32 bit version) so there is no mention whatsoever
> about XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit.
>
> Photoshop CS runs on XP but WILL NOT run on XP 64
>
> It seems that Photoshop CS2 will run on XP 64 but the retail box doesn't
> say so. Some people do have luck running these types of high-priced
> software on xp64 bit and Vista ultimate but why won't the manufacturers
> admit one way or the other?
>
> Personally, I like the 64 bit version of Windows XP64 - even though it
> seems to me that even Microsoft doesn't fully support it (no 64 bit flash,
> and no 64bit IE software update, it reverts to the 32 bit version for that
> to which I say horse manure).
>
> My question is: what the hell is going on with this 64bit nonsense? By the
> time everyone wakes up and supports this 64 bit hot air, we'll be ready
> for 128 and maybe 256 bit.
>
> Microsoft, whasssup??

Tony Sperling

You are essentially correct, but you are not being entirely fair - Flash and
Java isn't developed by MS and MS have no way of dictating who should
develop what. Were these items supplied by their manufaturers, the OS would
support them. It is true, and equally sad that the outside world to a large
extent have bypassed XP x64 and concentrated on Vista (although a fair bit
of the Vista x64 software that has been released, is said to be working).

Tony. . .

"Joe Pasternak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:477019fd$0$11059$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's been a little over one year that I've been using XP64.
>
> It is apparent to me by now that hardware drivers are hard to find for
> this 64bit OS furthermore, I have NOT seen any software boxes in the
> retail stores that claim to support Windows XP 64 bit. After Windows 2000,
> XP, comes Vista (the 32 bit version) so there is no mention whatsoever
> about XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit.
>
> Photoshop CS runs on XP but WILL NOT run on XP 64
>
> It seems that Photoshop CS2 will run on XP 64 but the retail box doesn't
> say so. Some people do have luck running these types of high-priced
> software on xp64 bit and Vista ultimate but why won't the manufacturers
> admit one way or the other?
>
> Personally, I like the 64 bit version of Windows XP64 - even though it
> seems to me that even Microsoft doesn't fully support it (no 64 bit flash,
> and no 64bit IE software update, it reverts to the 32 bit version for that
> to which I say horse manure).
>
> My question is: what the hell is going on with this 64bit nonsense? By the
> time everyone wakes up and supports this 64 bit hot air, we'll be ready
> for 128 and maybe 256 bit.
>
> Microsoft, whasssup??

S.SubZero

On Dec 24, 12:43 pm, Joe Pasternak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Personally, I like the 64 bit version of Windows XP64 - even though it
> seems to me that even Microsoft doesn't fully support it (no 64 bit
> flash, and no 64bit IE software update, it reverts to the 32 bit version
> for that to which I say horse manure).

As said, Flash was not invented, nor is it developed, by Microsoft.
It is an Adobe product, acquired when they bought Macromedia last
year. You should not feel that Windows 64-bit users are somehow
alone, Adobe currently does not have Flash for *any* 64-bit platform.
Adobe's support for 64-bit in general has been pretty lethargic.
XP64's been around for three years or so (part of that in beta), and
Vista X64 has been out about a year. The fact that there isn't even a
BETA of Flash for 64-bit is pretty depressing, especially since it's
just Flash.. Unless Flash is some super-duper complicated thing that
is harder to port to 64-bit than an entire operating system.

> My question is: what the hell is going on with this 64bit nonsense? By
> the time everyone wakes up and supports this 64 bit hot air, we'll be
> ready for 128 and maybe 256 bit.
>
> Microsoft, whasssup??

Microsoft's 64-bit support has actually been pretty strong. They have
64-bit versions of several of their mainstream products. A few holes
here and there, but they are at least trying. There was a 64-bit
Office being talked about a while back but nothing ever came of it.
That would definitely be the killer desktop app.

I run XP64 on my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. I have drivers for every
device in it. I have a 64-bit version of Firefox, 64-bit newsreader,
64-bit IRC client (why?!), and 64-bit bittorrent client, along with
other apps here and there. There's no real purpose to a 64-bit IRC
client but it's cute nonetheless.

Gary Mount

I have been developing software for about a decade now. Only last month did
I acquire my first 64 bit computer.
I have had a 32 bit computer ever since I bought a 30 MHz 80386 two decades
ago.
I don't know why the big shops are taking so long to come out with 64 bit
versions.

"Joe Pasternak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:477019fd$0$11059$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's been a little over one year that I've been using XP64.
>
> It is apparent to me by now that hardware drivers are hard to find for
> this 64bit OS furthermore, I have NOT seen any software boxes in the
> retail stores that claim to support Windows XP 64 bit. After Windows 2000,
> XP, comes Vista (the 32 bit version) so there is no mention whatsoever
> about XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit.
>
> Photoshop CS runs on XP but WILL NOT run on XP 64
>
> It seems that Photoshop CS2 will run on XP 64 but the retail box doesn't
> say so. Some people do have luck running these types of high-priced
> software on xp64 bit and Vista ultimate but why won't the manufacturers
> admit one way or the other?
>
> Personally, I like the 64 bit version of Windows XP64 - even though it
> seems to me that even Microsoft doesn't fully support it (no 64 bit flash,
> and no 64bit IE software update, it reverts to the 32 bit version for that
> to which I say horse manure).
>
> My question is: what the hell is going on with this 64bit nonsense? By the
> time everyone wakes up and supports this 64 bit hot air, we'll be ready
> for 128 and maybe 256 bit.
>
> Microsoft, whasssup??

XS11E

"Gary Mount" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I don't know why the big shops are taking so long to come out with
> 64 bit versions.

Most software shops have, with others it's a matter of insufficient
demand and with hardware it's mostly greed, by not supplying 64 bit
drivers for existing devices they can get you to buy a new one with the
64 bit drivers.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Joe Pasternak

Gary Mount wrote:
> Applications written for 32 bit are compatible with 64 bit. That is, a
> 32 bit application will run on the 64 bit O/S. As long as the
> application doesn't require 32 bit drivers. Usually an application
> doesn't require drivers, only hardware does.

I know what applications require but I am not sure what your logic
requires though... If your logic is true then Photoshop CS (software, to
name a few), which DOES NOT REQUIRE 32 BIT DRIVERS, would be very much
compaatible and, according to you, should run under 64 bit WIndows XP
but it DOES NOT. So now what?

Joe Pasternak

Tony Sperling wrote:
> You are essentially correct, but you are not being entirely fair - Flash and
> Java isn't developed by MS and MS have no way of dictating who should
> develop what. Were these items supplied by their manufaturers, the OS would
> support them. It is true, and equally sad that the outside world to a large
> extent have bypassed XP x64 and concentrated on Vista (although a fair bit
> of the Vista x64 software that has been released, is said to be working).

.... Well, as a customer on a budget, should I spend hundreds of dollars
on software because hearsay indicates that it "is said to be working"
with Windows XP 64? No. No. No.

When I browse with the 64bit version of IE because I like its speed, and
suddenly I have to close it and open the 32bit version of IE because
Flash is not supported in 64, you know what comes to my mind right away?
WHAT THE ****!?

What we need to do here is convince Microsoft that their marketing
skills begin to suck so Ballmer needs to get off his rich ass and do a
better job convincing developers that the 64bit Windows is really a good
and fast product. Are you listening, Ballmer?

S.SubZero

On Dec 24, 5:09 pm, Joe Pasternak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What we need to do here is convince Microsoft that their marketing
> skills begin to suck so Ballmer needs to get off his rich ass and do a
> better job convincing developers that the 64bit Windows is really a good
> and fast product. Are you listening, Ballmer?

Did you even read my post? Flash does not exist for 64-bit *nix
browsers either. It's not about marketing. Adobe simply has no Flash
for 64-bit browsers and that's it.

A big reason for this I'm sure is that 32-bit browsers work just fine
under Windows and *nix. In fact on Windows 64-bit, the 32-bit IE is
the default browser, and there isn't even a facility for changing it.
(32-bit media player 11 is the default player in Vista x64 as well,
and MS didn't bother making a 64-bit MP11 for XP64)

Right now it's the best of both worlds; 32-bit apps work for the tasks
they need to work for. Any apps that are pushing the edge with 32-bit
are either already ported to 64-bit or are on their way. Did you know
in XP64 and Vista64 that *notepad.exe* is a 64-bit app? For all the
times you need to open 2GB+ text files.

David Manvell

If you are running the 64 bit browser and go to a site that requires Flash,
there is often a link that takes you to their website. There is a note on
there that 64 bit version (For which OSs?) of Flash is now in the works. No
date yet of course.

David Manvell