Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't find (Outlook) address book file

Can't find (Outlook) address book file

Cloud Burst

Hi. On xp Pro I copied up my personal Documents and Folders directories
from my work PC to a memory stick but I can't find where my (Outlook)
address book is on this backup.

I don't have access to the original computer anymore, just the memory
stick. My computer at home is running Outlook Express and I'd like to
import all the addresses there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

CB

Mike Easter

Cloud Burst wrote:
> Hi. On xp Pro I copied up my personal Documents and Folders
> directories from my work PC to a memory stick but I can't find

where
> my (Outlook) address book is on this backup.
>
> I don't have access to the original computer anymore, just the

memory
> stick. My computer at home is running Outlook Express and I'd

like to
> import all the addresses there.

Your OL (personal) addressbook is named outlook.pab and/or mailbox
..pab and is located in the application data folder for MS OL.

If you were using contacts and didn't export that, I don't know if
you have a remedy.

--
Mike Easter

Gordon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cloud Burst wrote:
>> Hi. On xp Pro I copied up my personal Documents and Folders
>> directories from my work PC to a memory stick but I can't find

> where
>> my (Outlook) address book is on this backup.
>>
>> I don't have access to the original computer anymore, just the

> memory
>> stick. My computer at home is running Outlook Express and I'd

> like to
>> import all the addresses there.

> Your OL (personal) addressbook is named outlook.pab

Outlook hasn't used a pab since outlook 2000........

Gordon

"Cloud Burst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. On xp Pro I copied up my personal Documents and Folders directories
> from my work PC to a memory stick but I can't find where my (Outlook)
> address book is on this backup.
>
> I don't have access to the original computer anymore, just the memory
> stick. My computer at home is running Outlook Express and I'd like to
> import all the addresses there.

What version of outlook?

Cloud Burst

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:47:25 -0000, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Cloud Burst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi. On xp Pro I copied up my personal Documents and Folders directories
>> from my work PC to a memory stick but I can't find where my (Outlook)
>> address book is on this backup.
>>
>> I don't have access to the original computer anymore, just the memory
>> stick. My computer at home is running Outlook Express and I'd like to
>> import all the addresses there.
>>

>What version of outlook?

Great question. Maybe 2003.

VanguardLH

"Gordon" wrote in message news:fkp9cg$fvb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike Easter" wrote ...
>>
>> Cloud Burst wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi. On xp Pro I copied up my personal Documents and Folders
>>> directories from my work PC to a memory stick but I can't find
>>> where my (Outlook) address book is on this backup.
>>>
>>> I don't have access to the original computer anymore, just the
>>> memory >>> stick. My computer at home is running Outlook Express
>>> and I'd like to import all the addresses there.

>> Your OL (personal) addressbook is named outlook.pab

> Outlook hasn't used a pab since outlook 2000........

Not according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829919/en-us. You
can add an PAB but it is an external file. This is NOT the
contact-type folders defined in your local message store (i.e., .pst
file) and where you enable the property in the contact-type folder to
include it under the "Outlook Address Book". The "Outlook Address
Book" is not an address book but rather a compendium of all
contact-type folders (that have the option enabled to include them)
along with any PABs.

Personal Address Books are still an option under Outlook 2002 which is
what I use. I've never bothered adding one since all my contacts are
records in contact-type folders within my local message store (.pst
file). Whether each contact-type folder appears under the "Outlook
Address Book" catch-all class depends on whether I enabled their
property option to include them. It is likely that the OP never added
an external .pab to Outlook, so his contact-type folders would be in
pseudo "address book" within the .pst file that he saved.

The OP will need to reinstall Outlook or use a host where it is
installed to open the saved .pst file and then export the records from
his contact-type folders to a comma-delimited text file. Then he can
open the WAB (Windows Address Book) used by OE to import the records
from that file.

bbosh@msuspartan.net

On Dec 24 2007, 12:36 pm, Cloud Burst <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi. On xp Pro I copied up my personal Documents and Folders directories
> from my work PC to a memory stick but I can't find where my (Outlook)
> address book is on this backup.
>
> I don't have access to the original computer anymore, just the memory
> stick. My computer at home is running Outlook Express and I'd like to
> import all the addresses there.
>
> Any ideas?

Default copy settings will only carry non-hidden and non-system
files. As the Outlook address book file is stored in a hidden
directory, I'm guessing it didn't get copied.

Looks like you're out of luck if you can't get to the computer any
more. Sorry.