Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > I have to install Win XP on SATA HD. PROBLEM, help! URGENT!

I have to install Win XP on SATA HD. PROBLEM, help! URGENT!

Adriano

Hi,
I have to format my HD and instal the new Win XP Prp.
I have P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and in my PC I have some HDs in
RAID0.
I don't succeed to install the OS because a blue screening tells me
there no HDs. During the blu screening I have clicked on F6 and when I
put the floppy I get the same problem.
I see 6 writing (I think, I don't remeber fine) and when I click on
the first writing I get the same problem (I hope the first writing is
correct). I am not an expert at all.
I'd like to download a new driver from Asus web site but I don't know
what I have to download precisely. Can you help me please?
What precise file have I to download?
What are the corret steps please? I am afraid I am making some errors.
Thanks thanks thanks

- Bobb -

1. Did this system EVER boot ( or new setup) ?
1a. If it used to work, disconnect the new drive - does system boot as it
used to ?
1b. What does it boot from ( RAID or a separate drive)? If XP STARTED to
boot AND you had RAID installed, XP WILL prompt you at start for the RAID
driver.< press key now> at beginning of boot. THAT driver comes from the
controller company ( Promise, Adaptec etc - whoever provided the RAID gave
you a CD). If you do not need the RAID, for now leave off the RAID drives.

2. If new setup, is the SATA drive plugged into motherboard or controller
card ?
2b. If new setup, disconnect the RAID drives for now ( External box or
internal disks ? )
2c. If new setup, with JUST the SATA drive installed:
GO into BIOS and view disks .
Do you see the SATA drive ?
What is the BOOT order ? Make it CD, SATA.
Then boot CD - does install start OK ?

( I have a 5 year old ASUS board ( 8NE) and works fine with SATA, so I do
not think a software / BIOS issue for you. SATA have been around for a
while .

Check your manual for BIOS boot settings or download manual at asus
website )

Bobb

"Adriano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have to format my HD and instal the new Win XP Prp.
> I have P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and in my PC I have some HDs in
> RAID0.
> I don't succeed to install the OS because a blue screening tells me
> there no HDs. During the blu screening I have clicked on F6 and when I
> put the floppy I get the same problem.
> I see 6 writing (I think, I don't remeber fine) and when I click on
> the first writing I get the same problem (I hope the first writing is
> correct). I am not an expert at all.
> I'd like to download a new driver from Asus web site but I don't know
> what I have to download precisely. Can you help me please?
> What precise file have I to download?
> What are the corret steps please? I am afraid I am making some errors.
> Thanks thanks thanks

Adriano

You are very kind but you have just forgotten ... I am no expert. I am
not undestood fine. I'm sorry!
My easier way .. I think is to download a new driver ffrom Asus web
site and put it in the floppy. Pehaps the old floppy is bad.
My PC is 4 mounths old and now I have format and installa the new Win
XP Pro. I will format my single HD "C" (it is not RAID0).
In my PC I have different HDs in RAID0.
In your opinon what is the easier way?
thanks

>1. Did this system EVER boot ( or new setup) ?
>1a. If it used to work, disconnect the new drive - does system boot as it
>used to ?
>1b. What does it boot from ( RAID or a separate drive)? If XP STARTED to
>boot AND you had RAID installed, XP WILL prompt you at start for the RAID
>driver.< press key now> at beginning of boot. THAT driver comes from the
>controller company ( Promise, Adaptec etc - whoever provided the RAID gave
>you a CD). If you do not need the RAID, for now leave off the RAID drives.
>
>2. If new setup, is the SATA drive plugged into motherboard or controller
>card ?
>2b. If new setup, disconnect the RAID drives for now ( External box or
>internal disks ? )
>2c. If new setup, with JUST the SATA drive installed:
>GO into BIOS and view disks .
>Do you see the SATA drive ?
>What is the BOOT order ? Make it CD, SATA.
>Then boot CD - does install start OK ?
>
>( I have a 5 year old ASUS board ( 8NE) and works fine with SATA, so I do
>not think a software / BIOS issue for you. SATA have been around for a
>while .
>
>Check your manual for BIOS boot settings or download manual at asus
>website )
>
>Bobb
>

>"Adriano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi,
>> I have to format my HD and instal the new Win XP Prp.
>> I have P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and in my PC I have some HDs in
>> RAID0.
>> I don't succeed to install the OS because a blue screening tells me
>> there no HDs. During the blu screening I have clicked on F6 and when I
>> put the floppy I get the same problem.
>> I see 6 writing (I think, I don't remeber fine) and when I click on
>> the first writing I get the same problem (I hope the first writing is
>> correct). I am not an expert at all.
>> I'd like to download a new driver from Asus web site but I don't know
>> what I have to download precisely. Can you help me please?
>> What precise file have I to download?
>> What are the corret steps please? I am afraid I am making some errors.
>> Thanks thanks thanks

Paul

Adriano wrote:
> Hi,
> I have to format my HD and instal the new Win XP Prp.
> I have P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and in my PC I have some HDs in
> RAID0.
> I don't succeed to install the OS because a blue screening tells me
> there no HDs. During the blu screening I have clicked on F6 and when I
> put the floppy I get the same problem.
> I see 6 writing (I think, I don't remeber fine) and when I click on
> the first writing I get the same problem (I hope the first writing is
> correct). I am not an expert at all.
> I'd like to download a new driver from Asus web site but I don't know
> what I have to download precisely. Can you help me please?
> What precise file have I to download?
> What are the corret steps please? I am afraid I am making some errors.
> Thanks thanks thanks

The P5W DH Deluxe is a complicated motherboard. The user
must use great precision in posing questions, to get a
good answer.

This is what all the storage options look like on that motherboard.

PCI-E x1 Hub_bus
| |
| |
JMB363 Southbridge ------ PRI_IDE
| | \ | | | \
SATA Ext Pri Sata Sata Sata \
RAID Sata EIDE 1 3 4 \
1 Silicon (Hardware
Image RAID
4723 Chip)
| |
(EZ_RAID1) Sata Sata (EZ_RAID2)

* FAST/RAID 0
* SAFE/RAID 1
* BIG/Spanning
* JBOD/Port Multiplier

The best place to connect the RAID0 pair of disks, would be
SATA 1, SATA 3, and SATA 4 possible ports. The SIL4723 ports are
less preferred for performance reasons (SIL4723 limits
the transfer rate to 110MB/sec or so). The JMB363 is not
convenient, because one connector is on the rear panel
of the computer.

With two SATA drives in RAID 0, connected to the ports
such as SATA 1, SATA 3, or SATA 4, enter the BIOS.

"Configure SATA as" [RAID]

That setting puts the SATA 1, 3, and 4 ports in RAID mode.

OK, if the "Configure SATA as" setting is correct, when you enter
the BIOS on the next time, and press <control-I>, you should
see the Intel RAID BIOS screen. Verify, in the RAID BIOS screen,
that your two RAID 0 disks are present and are in RAID 0 mode.
(My guess is that the RAID 0 array was already configured
previously, for whatever other OS you were using.)

The next thing you need is a driver floppy. The motherboard CD
that came with the motherboard, has a "Makedisk" option to make
a RAID driver for Windows installation. If you don't want to use
the one on the motherboard CD, this is the alternative to be
downloaded from the Asus web site.

Version V5.0.0.1032 2005/08/12 update
OS Win2K / WinXP / Win2003
Description Intel RAID F6 Floppy Utility for Windows 2000/XP/2003.
File Size 532.4 (KBytes)

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...elF6_32bit.zip

This is what you should see after the floppy is prepared:

Directory of A:\

10/17/2007 09:32p 11,988 iaahci.cat
09/29/2007 09:38p 8,581 iaahci.inf
10/17/2007 09:32p 11,694 iastor.cat
09/29/2007 09:38p 7,676 iastor.inf
09/29/2007 11:03p 308,248 iastor.sys
09/29/2007 09:38p 4,299 txtsetup.oem
10/18/2007 03:28p 11,321 license.txt
09/29/2007 10:06p 45,465 readme.txt
9 File(s) 409,272 bytes

Now, install Windows, press F6, and the RAID driver for
ICH7 should be found on the floppy.

If your setup or details differ from the above, please
explain where the hard drives are connected (what
connector is being used).

Is all of your data backed up ? We do not enjoy stories
of horrors, where the user data is lost. Before making
major changes to any computer, ensure the important data
is stored in a safe place.

Hope that helps,
Paul

- Bobb -

"Adriano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are very kind but you have just forgotten ... I am no expert. I am
> not undestood fine. I'm sorry!
> My easier way .. I think is to download a new driver ffrom Asus web
> site and put it in the floppy. Pehaps the old floppy is bad.
> My PC is 4 months old and now I have format and installa the new Win
> XP Pro. I will format my single HD "C" (it is not RAID0).
> In my PC I have different HDs in RAID0.
> In your opinon what is the easier way?
> thanks

My point was: I would disconnect RAID during install - to prevent any
harm to it. To do the install on C - no need for RAID. Only needed at
first boot IF you are INSTALLING on RAID.

Install XP on C. IF THEN you need a driver, you can download/install it
using XP.
When all done, power off /connect RAID, then boot XP.
AND no chance of harm to RAID set.