Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Userdate folder

Userdate folder

George

I had a problem with my Compaq (Win XP system) and had to perform a non
destructive restore. When I finished I lost all of my documents and email. I
have been having problems with free space on my hard drive since then. When
I ran defrag today it showed I have a second .pst file in the userdata
folder. I can't open the userdata folder in my computer to see it's
contents. I am wondering if it is my lost data from before the restore and
how I can access it. It won't open, transfer, rename, or delete.
George in LAs Vegas

wisdomkiller & pain

George wrote:

> I had a problem with my Compaq (Win XP system) and had to perform a non
> destructive restore. When I finished I lost all of my documents and email.
> I have been having problems with free space on my hard drive since then.
> When I ran defrag today it showed I have a second .pst file in the
> userdata folder. I can't open the userdata folder in my computer to see
> it's contents. I am wondering if it is my lost data from before the
> restore and how I can access it. It won't open, transfer, rename, or
> delete. George in LAs Vegas

Google for "Take Ownership XP" instructions. The repair install has created
a new computer SID and therefore your previous "private" folders becam
inaccessible.
You may need to boot in safe mode to view the permissions and "advanced"
tabs that let you change file and folder ownership, depending upon your XP
version.

George

It looks like that fixed everything; I greatly appreciate the help!
Merry Chrsitmas,
George in Las Vegas