Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 1751 T1 question

Cisco 1751 T1 question

shinjagunjin@gmail.com

We have multiple sites in our WAN. We recently installed a new T1 line
at a new site. I am new to Cisco and the company won't fork over the
money to send me to school, so I have read and learned quite a bit, but
I'm having a problem. At the main site (A) with have a Cisco 2600 that
has a T1 card and works fine. At the new site (B) we installed a Cisco
1751-V (left over router we had from an old location) I installed a
WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 in it. I believe the config is fine. I have sent it to
a couple of guys from the phone company and they say it seems ok. The
problem is on site A it says the link and protocol are down. On site B
it says the line is up and the protocol is down. The question I have
is about the cable coming from the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 to the demarc. I had
a RJ45 Cat 5 cable, but somebody told me that I need a RJ48 cable. I
looked it up and there are different kinds of RJ48 cables. Can anyone
give me any information to help me.

Thanks in advance,
Klaki

shinjagunjin@gmail.com

Just to give some more information. All the other sites connected to
site A are up and running. We are using 256k of the T1 for our new
site.

Merv

RJ-48 (Registered Jack-4 A telephone connector that holds up to eight
wires.

It uses the same plug and socket as RJ-45 but has different pinouts.

An RJ48 cable uses shilded twisted pair (STP).

RJ-48C is commonly used for T1 lines and uses pins 1, 2, 4 and 5.

Pin Pair Signal
1 R RX Ring
2 T RX Tip
3 reserved
4 R1 TX Ring
5 T1 TX Tip
6 reserved
7 shield
8 shield

shinjagunjin@gmail.com

So is this the type of cable I should be using?

Merv

What are you using on the working T1 circuits - HQ or remote ?

shinjagunjin@gmail.com

Not exactly sure. Sorry, like I said I don't hae much training. I'm
hoping through this experience it will give them enough reason to send
me off to school. Is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks again Merv

Merv

Looks on the outside of the cable cladding to see if there are any
designation of calbe type. If it is CAT 5 it will usally be stamped on
the cladding

shinjagunjin@gmail.com

I looked at cables coming from an T1 DSU/CSU card on one of our routers
that runs to a demarc for the internet and the cable was a Cat 5.

Merv

So you now know that you can get away witha CAT5 cable.

The RJ48 cable being a shield cable would be the "right" cable to use
but you know the CAT 5 will work.

I would check the router interface for the working T1 that has a CAT 5
cable to make sure that T1 is not having any errors. The command to use
is "show interface < interface> "; if it has been some time since the
interface was cleared or if the errors counters are high then clear the
counters using the "clear counters <interface>".

Make sure you test the CAT5 cable that is being used on the troubled
circuit to make sure that calbe is not faulty.

shinjagunjin@gmail.com

The line seems to be fine. When I do a show interfaces on the Serial I
do get a DTE LMI down. I thought this meant that there was something
wrong on the FR switch, but the phone people assure me that the circuit
and everything is fine.

Basic ISDN BRI card question for Cisco 1751 gautamzone@gmail.com Cisco 1 02-25-2006 05:32 PM
Bridging Cisco 1751 Routers Tom Cisco 4 05-13-2004 04:05 AM
Bridging Cisco 1751 routers Tom Cisco 1 05-11-2004 10:53 PM
Cisco 2600XM and 1751-V memory Rob Cisco 3 05-11-2004 09:38 AM
voip/sip at cisco 7960 and 1751 Andre Gronwald Cisco 0 11-28-2003 05:20 PM

Advertisments