Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Security

Wireless Security

Emyeu

Are there anyways or tools to test whether the wireless lan is secured?

Malke

Emyeu wrote:

> Are there anyways or tools to test whether the wireless lan is
> secured?

Take a laptop outside your house and use Net Stumbler (Windows) or
Kismet (*nixes) and see if you can get into your network.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Emyeu

May i know what are "Net Stumbler" and "Kismet (*nixes)"???

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Emyeu wrote:
>
> > Are there anyways or tools to test whether the wireless lan is
> > secured?

> Take a laptop outside your house and use Net Stumbler (Windows) or
> Kismet (*nixes) and see if you can get into your network.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

S. Pidgorny

NetStumbler is a Windows utility that allows you to detect wireless access
points and clients, and then more:

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Kismet is a wireless network detector and sniffer. It also has some NIDS
capability and plugs into Snort NIDS. Kismet runs on Linux:

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

I'm also using Wellenreiter on a PDA, very good for wireless auditing but a
bit dated:

http://www.wellenreiter.net/

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE