Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet connection problems-modem or cable company?

Internet connection problems-modem or cable company?

Mike Easter

Scott wrote:
> For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights
> on the Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when
> this happens. It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times
> in a day. I have a service visit set up but wanted to know if it is
> my modem or THEIR lines so I will know what to expect/do.

Fortunately in my experiences with Motorola cable modems over the years
the modem has always been owned by the cableco. During those years I've
had about 3 or 4 different modems, losing a modem every year or three in
the early years. Presently my current modem has been working without
fail for a number of years.

You didn't name your modem. My SB4200 has logs so that you can look at
'conditions' of the signal. My cable TV also has a service mode which
allows me to troubleshoot the conditions of the signal for that cablebox
as well.

If you shutdown your modem and then power it up, the diagnostic lights
on the front should go thru' a normal procedure from power to receive to
send to online to activity described in the modem's manual. If you look
at your modem's condition with your browser which on my modem is
http://192.168.100.1 the default page is startup info and additional
modem html displays are for signal which shows signal to noise and power
level for both upstream and downstream signals. In addition there is a
log page which shows what kinds of glitches have been going on recently
and a help page to help you interpret some of that.

The advantage of the cableco owning the modem is that when a modem dies
the cableco just replaces the modem with a newer and better one and you
just keep on truckin'. My cableco has never offered a lower priced
monthly rate based on the customer owning hir own modem as some cablecos
do.

--
Mike Easter

Scott

For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights on the
Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when this happens.
It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times in a day. I have a
service visit set up but wanted to know if it is my modem or THEIR lines so
I will know what to expect/do.

THANKS!

Kim

Mr. Arnold

"Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights on the
> Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when this
> happens.
> It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times in a day. I have
> service visit set up but wanted to know if it is my modem or THEIR lines
> so
> I will know what to expect/do.

If the lights are flashing on the modem, it's on it's way out.

Modems don't last forever. You should get a new one, whether you go buy one
or get one from the cable company/ISP.

Brett Kline

Scott wrote:
> For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights on the
> Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when this happens.
> It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times in a day. I have a
> service visit set up but wanted to know if it is my modem or THEIR lines so
> I will know what to expect/do.
>
> THANKS!

During normal operation a Motorola has four solid LEDs: power, receive,
send, and online. The PC activity light may flicker or appear solid.

Follow the coax cable backward. If you find a splitter, unplug the modem
from power, bypass the splitter, then apply power to the cable modem.

If you now have four solid LEDs, great. If you have a standby light only
press the standby button on the top of the modem. Any other combinations
of LEDs indicates the cable modem is not fully communicating with your ISP.

Jerry McBride

Scott wrote:

> For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights on the
> Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when this
> happens.
> It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times in a day. I have
> a service visit set up but wanted to know if it is my modem or THEIR lines
> so I will know what to expect/do.
>
> THANKS!
>
> Kim

Hook a tv to the cable. You see a picture? If so, the cable is good... now
to call internet support and start dianoseing if it's a dead modem or their
hardware...

--

Jerry McBride ((E-Mail Removed))

Aardvark

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:15:45 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

> dianoseing

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-12-23, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Aardvark waxed eloquently:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:15:45 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
>
>> dianoseing

Sniffing something out?

--
The Old Sourdough
Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead