Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewing LCD in bright light

Viewing LCD in bright light

David J Taylor

Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <aH3ej.70530$(E-Mail Removed) >, David J
> Taylor says...
>
>> Perhaps you would like to say a little more about the circumstannces
>> where this has been useful, and just how "precisely" you can choose
>> the blur. Perhaps you have an example online, perhaps which would
>> have been impossible to take without this feature?

> You could be taking photos of a bicycle race. Athletes passing by you
> all the time, you would like to have some motion blur in the image, to
> reproduce speed in the image.
>
> With the camera in time priority mode, while the bicyclers pass by
> you, you choose the exposure time which gives you the desired amount
> of motion blur.

OK, Alfred, thanks, but I was looking for real example of how it had
actually helped you, not "could be" theoretical ones.

I still think that in those circumstances I would first take a few shots
to establish what shutter speed I wanted, and then want the best possible
view through the finder to take the photos which mattered.

Cheers,
David

measekite

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Alfred Molon wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ron
>> Hunter says...
>>
>>> While I freely admit that there are advantages to an EVF, such as
>>> being able to view a lot of status information, and a histogram, on
>>> the viewfinder, I still would prefer an optical viewfinder.

>> The problem is that a viewfinder on a compact credit-card sized
>> camera will be a tiny hole.
>>
>>> Unfortunately, the vast number of P&S camera buyers seem to consider
>>> this an undesirable feature,

>> For the above mentioned reason - not enough space in a compact for a
>> decent optical viewfinder.
>>
>>> and to put in larger LCDs, the manufacturers have eliminated the
>>> optical viewfinder on the more compact cameras.

>> That was a good decision.

That was a poor decision. Two reasons:

1. Sometimes you cannot properly see the LCD due to bright sun

2. Even with image stabilization you cannot hold a camera using
outstretched arms and attain a sharp photo when using a lower ISO (less
noise) and a slower shutter speed; especially if you want more depth of
field.