Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony DSC-P92 shutter failure.

Sony DSC-P92 shutter failure.

Ian Smith

Hello there. This might be silly question time, so apologies in advance.

I have a Sony DSC-P92 5 megapixel compact. It has done c.7600 photos in
4 years, so has "high mileage" and collected a few nicks/bumps along the
way. Now the mechanical shutter doesn't appear to open. The lens
extends and opens its protective front cover ok. The LCD screen lights
up with graphics and an autofocus rectangle appears searching for
something to lock on to when the shutter button is pressed halfway. But
the screen shows no live picture from the sensor. And looking in
through the front lens reveals what looks like a closed shutter, where
previously I could see right in to the inner optics.

My guess is that the mechanical shutter has failed/jammed closed. Given
that I've no intention of having the camera repaired professionally, as
it doesn't seem worth it, and given that I don't mind dismantling the
thing to try and fix (nothing to lose scenario); would it be sensible
to remove the shutter or jam it open, if it has indeed failed? Would
the camera still be able to take pictures using electronic shuttering
only; albeit with reduced performance implications?

Perhaps I should just buy a new camera. But thank you for taking
the time to read this.

John Turco

Ian Smith wrote:

> Hello there. This might be silly question time, so apologies in advance.
>
> I have a Sony DSC-P92 5 megapixel compact. It has done c.7600 photos in
> 4 years, so has "high mileage" and collected a few nicks/bumps along the
> way. Now the mechanical shutter doesn't appear to open. The lens
> extends and opens its protective front cover ok. The LCD screen lights
> up with graphics and an autofocus rectangle appears searching for
> something to lock on to when the shutter button is pressed halfway. But
> the screen shows no live picture from the sensor. And looking in
> through the front lens reveals what looks like a closed shutter, where
> previously I could see right in to the inner optics.
>
> My guess is that the mechanical shutter has failed/jammed closed. Given
> that I've no intention of having the camera repaired professionally, as
> it doesn't seem worth it, and given that I don't mind dismantling the
> thing to try and fix (nothing to lose scenario); would it be sensible
> to remove the shutter or jam it open, if it has indeed failed? Would
> the camera still be able to take pictures using electronic shuttering
> only; albeit with reduced performance implications?

Hello, Ian:

Coincidentally, just a week or so ago, I, myself, obtained a Sony
Cyber-shot DSC-P92. It was a display model (in near-mint condition),
at a local retail store, bearing a very tempting clearance price tag
of $29.99 USD.

I've since tested the item and it passed with flying colors, no pun
intended. However, my online research has revealed that the DSC-P92 is
among a significant number of older Sony digicams and camcorders, which
suffer from defective CCD image sensors.

As a result, a 2005 class action lawsuit was filed against Sony, in the
USA, and settled the following year. The company agreed to repair any
affected devices, free of charge, until October 2, 2007.

Of course, being a British subject, none of these particular legal
issues apply to you, anyway. Still, if you'd care to learn further
details on this subject, please go here:

<http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?cmsId=legal_notice_full&hideHea derFooter=false>

> Perhaps I should just buy a new camera.

That's always an option, of course. You could also trying selling
your DSC-P92, on eBay <http://www.ebay.com>, where there's a thriving
market for broken digicams. People are often seeking spare parts,
necessary in repairing their own devices.

> But thank you for taking the time to read this.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>