Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Spoof URL before Bookmark save?

Spoof URL before Bookmark save?

JohnW-Mpls

I'm lookin iofr the code or sme way to force my URL to be saved as a
bookmark rather than the URL for the current site.

I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess. However, the new sit eis not
yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site

Michael Fesser

..oO(JohnW-Mpls)

>I'm lookin iofr the code or sme way to force my URL to be saved as a
>bookmark rather than the URL for the current site.

Impossible. Would be quite rude, wouldn't it?

>I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
>bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess. However, the new sit eis not
>yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site

You want people to bookmark a site that doesn't exist yet?

The correct way: Let the users bookmark whatever they want. If the old
site goes down, keep the old URLs working and redirect them to the new
site with an appropriate HTTP header and status code (301).

Micha

Harlan Messinger

JohnW-Mpls wrote:
> I'm lookin iofr the code or sme way to force my URL to be saved as a
> bookmark rather than the URL for the current site.

You can't.

> I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
> bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess.

Assuming what you're asking was possible, what then would you expect the
users' reaction to be if they were to use this bookmark, say, five
minutes later instead of waiting until the new site is ready?

> However, the new sit eis not
> yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site

What you'll need to do when the time comes is to have the old site send
a *permanent redirection* response, identifying the new location, when
it receives requests for the old pages.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:10:06 GMT
JohnW-Mpls scribed:

> I'm lookin iofr the code or sme way to force my URL to be saved as a
> bookmark rather than the URL for the current site.
>
> I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
> bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess. However, the new sit eis not
> yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site

Put a text message at the top of the old site explaining the situation, the
new url, and it's predicted activation date.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

I want the # pound in the URL QueryString, not a bookmark =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnk=?= ASP .Net 2 01-02-2006 12:36 PM
Pound (bookmark) in URL =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnk=?= ASP .Net 0 12-30-2005 09:40 PM
URL/Bookmark Checker? Sens Fan Happy In Ohio Computer Support 7 08-23-2004 01:55 AM
Bookmark URL Parsing Timothy Wu Python 0 02-25-2004 04:48 PM
Re: How to Spoof Referer URL dave wanta ASP .Net 1 07-07-2003 07:46 AM

Advertisments