Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HDMI Cable Question, etc.

HDMI Cable Question, etc.

Robert11

Hello,

a. Regarding these relatively new interconnections called " HDMI ":

Do they also carry the audio signal between, e.g., a DVD and a digital TV,
or only the digital TV signal ?

b. Might as well also ask this, as I'm really curious.

My son just got a new Westinghouse high def set.
He uses Comcast for his TV service.

The manual says:

"The Electronic Program GuideYour Westinghouse High Definition LCD TV
has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to help you navigate through all the
possible viewing options. The EPG supplies information, such as program
lists, the start and end times of all available channels, and a detailed
description of the program. The availability and the amount of program
details will varydepending on the broadcaster. You can use the 'Guide'
button on the remote control or select EPG from the TV OSD menu to display
the Electronic Program Guide. The EPG begins its list with the channel that
is currently active."

So, where does the TV get this schedule information from; presumably updated
daily or at least frequently ?

Is it encoded in the actual program signals that it receives ?

From Comcast ? Or,...?

There is no phone hookup, like a TiVo uses to get it's schedule information.

Thanks,
Bob

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-12-20, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Robert11 waxed eloquently:
> Hello,
>
> a. Regarding these relatively new interconnections called " HDMI ":
>
> Do they also carry the audio signal between, e.g., a DVD and a digital TV,
> or only the digital TV signal ?
>
> b. Might as well also ask this, as I'm really curious.
>
> My son just got a new Westinghouse high def set.
> He uses Comcast for his TV service.
>
> The manual says:
>
> "The Electronic Program GuideYour Westinghouse High Definition LCD TV
> has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to help you navigate through all the
> possible viewing options. The EPG supplies information, such as program
> lists, the start and end times of all available channels, and a detailed
> description of the program. The availability and the amount of program
> details will varydepending on the broadcaster. You can use the 'Guide'
> button on the remote control or select EPG from the TV OSD menu to display
> the Electronic Program Guide. The EPG begins its list with the channel that
> is currently active."
>
> So, where does the TV get this schedule information from; presumably updated
> daily or at least frequently ?
>
> Is it encoded in the actual program signals that it receives ?
>
> From Comcast ? Or,...?
>
> There is no phone hookup, like a TiVo uses to get it's schedule information.

Take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_program_guide

--
The Old Sourdough
Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead

Jerry McBride

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> a. Regarding these relatively new interconnections called " HDMI ":
>
> Do they also carry the audio signal between, e.g., a DVD and a digital TV,
> or only the digital TV signal ?
>
> b. Might as well also ask this, as I'm really curious.
>
> My son just got a new Westinghouse high def set.
> He uses Comcast for his TV service.
>
> The manual says:
>
> "The Electronic Program GuideYour Westinghouse High Definition LCD TV
> has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to help you navigate through all the
> possible viewing options. The EPG supplies information, such as program
> lists, the start and end times of all available channels, and a detailed
> description of the program. The availability and the amount of program
> details will varydepending on the broadcaster. You can use the 'Guide'
> button on the remote control or select EPG from the TV OSD menu to display
> the Electronic Program Guide. The EPG begins its list with the channel
> that is currently active."
>
> So, where does the TV get this schedule information from; presumably
> updated daily or at least frequently ?
>
> Is it encoded in the actual program signals that it receives ?
>
> From Comcast ? Or,...?
>
> There is no phone hookup, like a TiVo uses to get it's schedule
> information.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

HDMI can send video as well as audio. See:

http://www.audioholics.com/education...eginners-guide

As for the schedule information, it all depends on Comcast...

--

Jerry McBride ((E-Mail Removed))

doS

take the tv back you are too stoopid to use it

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

USB to HDMI cable/converter carlo90@shaw.ca Computer Information 5 04-02-2010 12:58 AM
HDMI cable jtrip9ball Computer Support 4 04-09-2009 11:34 AM
VGA to HDMI cable? carlo90@shaw.ca Computer Information 4 07-07-2008 09:23 AM
HDMI Cable PWB Computer Support 0 05-12-2008 08:13 PM

Advertisments