Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mysterious reappearing bbc.co.uk cookie (Firefox 1.5.0.1, WindowsXP Pro)

Mysterious reappearing bbc.co.uk cookie (Firefox 1.5.0.1, WindowsXP Pro)

Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?

I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
when closing Firefox.

I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):

Name: BBC-UID
Content: <deleted for this post>
Domain: .bbc.co.uk
Send For: Any type of connection
Expires: <in exactly one year>

I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.

(The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)

Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

Nho Whei

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 20:01:38 -0800, Z <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
>

>I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
>Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
>when closing Firefox.
>
>I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
>and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
>
> Name: BBC-UID
> Content: <deleted for this post>
> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
>Send For: Any type of connection
> Expires: <in exactly one year>
>
>I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
>in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
>

>(The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
>

>Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

Is your home page set to a BBC page?

Nho Whei wrote:
>> Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
>>
>> I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
>> Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
>> when closing Firefox.
>>
>> I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
>> and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
>>
>> Name: BBC-UID
>> Content: <deleted for this post>
>> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
>> Send For: Any type of connection
>> Expires: <in exactly one year>
>>
>> I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
>> in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
>>
>> (The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
>>
>> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

> Is your home page set to a BBC page?

No, it's about:blank.

Charani

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:09:32 -0800, Z wrote:

> Nho Whei wrote:
>>> Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
>>>
>>> I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
>>> Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
>>> when closing Firefox.
>>>
>>> I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
>>> and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
>>>
>>> Name: BBC-UID
>>> Content: <deleted for this post>
>>> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
>>> Send For: Any type of connection
>>> Expires: <in exactly one year>
>>>
>>> I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
>>> in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
>>>
>>> (The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
>>>
>>> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

>> Is your home page set to a BBC page?

> No, it's about:blank.

Do you click on any links that are posted up to BBC news pages or to
their sports or weather pages?

I go to the BBC news pages several times a day and don't have any
cookies from them reappearing unbidden. I use Mozilla 1.7.12 and have
it set for session cookies only. My firewall (ZA Pro) is set not to
allow persistent cookies.

Have you tried blocking the cookie from being allowed? Have you
emptied the temp and temp internet files on XP?

Jedi Fans

On 05/03/06 04:01, Z scribbled:
> Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
>

> I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
> Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
> when closing Firefox.
>
> I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
> and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
>
> Name: BBC-UID
> Content: <deleted for this post>
> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
> Send For: Any type of connection
> Expires: <in exactly one year>
>
> I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
> in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
>

> (The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
>

> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other
> problem?

If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

--
Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,

Jedi Fans

On 05/03/06 04:01, Z scribbled:

Charani wrote:
>>> Is your home page set to a BBC page?

>> No, it's about:blank.

> Do you click on any links that are posted up to BBC news pages or to
> their sports or weather pages?

No, of course not! I do *nothing* but start Firefox (even in Safe
Mode!), and, voila, the cookie is there again.

> Have you tried blocking the cookie from being allowed?

No.

> Have you emptied the temp and temp internet files on XP?

Yes, many times, manually, but the problem persists.

Jedi Fans wrote:
>> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other
>> problem?

> If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

Please explain what the "live bookmark" is.

Jedi Fans

On 06/03/06 17:10, Z scribbled:
> Jedi Fans wrote:
>>> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other
>>> problem?

>> If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

> Please explain what the "live bookmark" is.

I dont actually have time, please google it [sorry], goto
"bookmarks>manage bookmarks>Bookmarks Toolbar" and right
click on BBC News and select delete.

--
Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5,
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 and Revenge Of The Sith!

Jedi Fans wrote:
>>> If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

>> Please explain what the "live bookmark" is.

> I dont actually have time, please google it [sorry], goto
> "bookmarks>manage bookmarks>Bookmarks Toolbar" and right
> click on BBC News and select delete.

Ha! That did it. (I had to right click on the icon in the toolbar to
delete it).

Thanks.