Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > I think if I see another three column web page I am going to puke

I think if I see another three column web page I am going to puke

Gerald Newton

Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

Nik Coughlin

"Gerald Newton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

Do you feel the same way about 2 columns? 4? Is it laying sites out in
columns that you're protesting or specifically in 3 columns?

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
>,

Gerald Newton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

This appears to me to be an extremely superficial criticism. I
cannot and will not accept it. Take it back.

The sonnet is a not altogether complicated form but there are the
most beautiful examples of it and people can still do nice things
with it. Same goes for any form at all in just about anything. It
is not the form but the substance that matters. It is plain silly
to think that 3 cols means that everyone who makes 3 cols does
the same boring thing. There is nothing inherently boring about
any columned format. No, not even for n=1.

In fact, all of the highest art, as distinguished from the silly
and superficial business of mere novelty, is heavily constrained
by form. I go as far as to say that it depends on the
constraints. Have you seen what bloody well happens to artists of
all kinds, musicians and film directors and others when they are
not constrained. When they think they can do whatever they bloody
well like? When they become rich and can command whatever
resources they want. When they can do whatever they like. Their
art often goes to pieces. There is nothing to hold it up, no
scaffold to play against. Their music gets slicker bands and not
that raw early powerful energy of a simple guitar twanging away,
their finer expensive paints...

--
dorayme

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:31:33 GMT
Gerald Newton scribed:

> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

Boring, isn't it? I kinda agree with you except there is one thing...
Most of the layouts are screwed up so originality may be detected and
appreciated in their creative screwed-upness.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

DocuMaker

On Dec 19, 7:31 pm, Gerald Newton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

It's the Nation of Sheep syndrome.

---
http://www.outsource2documaker.com
Managing outsourced projects ranging from fine artwork and business
graphics to website design and maintenance.

asdf

"DocuMaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 19, 7:31 pm, Gerald Newton <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

> It's the Nation of Sheep syndrome.

[snip]

....or perhaps it's providing users with an interface with which they are
familiar and comfortable.

Horses for courses again, methinks.

Travis Newbury

On Dec 19, 10:31 pm, Gerald Newton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
standards...

LONG LIVE THE FREE MARKET!!!!

Chaddy2222

On Dec 20, 11:26 pm, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 10:31 pm, Gerald Newton <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

> This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
> standards...
>
> LONG LIVE THE FREE MARKET!!!!

On that subject did you see the VTR Australia site, before the current
one that had a 3D game type set-up. It really was not a good thing.
Although I always thaught it would have been good for a games type
site.

Harlan Messinger

Gerald Newton wrote:
> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

There aren't a whole lot of choices, are there? One, two, three, or
*possibly* four. Five certainly isn't practical.

asdf

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 19, 10:31 pm, Gerald Newton <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

> This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
> standards...
>
> LONG LIVE THE FREE MARKET!!!!

Dumbing *down*?

LMGDAO