Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > SDRAM PC3200 upgrade

SDRAM PC3200 upgrade

fl

Hi,
I want to upgrade the ram (512M, PC3200) of my old HP Pavilion a820n.
Its specification is as follows.

----
HP website:
Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)
Maximum allowed 4.0 GB* (4 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the
installed 256 MB DIMMs

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two
--------

From ebay, I find a seller who's description is:

IBM 1GB 400MHZ PC3200 CL3 ECC DDR SDRAM RDIMM GENUINE IBM MEMORY FOR
BLADECENTER LS20 (39M584

The price is CAN $ 35.00. I think it is a bargain, is it?
---------

A website introduces IBM BladeCenter LS20* as:

IBM BladeCenter LS20*
Processor AMD Opteron Model 246, 250, 252, 254, 270, 275 and 280
Number of processors (std/max) 1/2
Cache 1MB L2 per processor core
Memory1 Up to 16GB DDR VLP memory
----

If you are an expert on PC, could you tell me that the seller's SDRAM
can upgrade my HP, technically? Thanks in advance.

Paul

fl wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to upgrade the ram (512M, PC3200) of my old HP Pavilion a820n.
> Its specification is as follows.
>

> ----
> HP website:
> Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)
> Maximum allowed 4.0 GB* (4 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the
> installed 256 MB DIMMs
>
> *Actual available memory may be less
> Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
> Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
> DIMM slots Four
> Open DIMM slots Two
> --------
>

> From ebay, I find a seller who's description is:
>

> IBM 1GB 400MHZ PC3200 CL3 ECC DDR SDRAM RDIMM GENUINE IBM MEMORY FOR
> BLADECENTER LS20 (39M584
>

> The price is CAN $ 35.00. I think it is a bargain, is it?
> ---------
>
> A website introduces IBM BladeCenter LS20* as:
>
> IBM BladeCenter LS20*
> Processor AMD Opteron Model 246, 250, 252, 254, 270, 275 and 280
> Number of processors (std/max) 1/2
> Cache 1MB L2 per processor core
> Memory1 Up to 16GB DDR VLP memory
> ----
>
> If you are an expert on PC, could you tell me that the seller's SDRAM
> can upgrade my HP, technically? Thanks in advance.

RDIMM stands for Registered DIMM. They are used on servers.

UDIMM stands for unbuffered DIMM. They are used on desktops.

The above memory is the wrong kind, as it is registered.

You can get a matched pair like this 2x1GB kit for $104.

Paul

fl

On Dec 19, 11:05 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> fl wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to upgrade the ram (512M, PC3200) of my old HP Pavilion a820n.
> > Its specification is as follows.

> > ----
> > HP website:
> > Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)
> > Maximum allowed 4.0 GB* (4 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the
> > installed 256 MB DIMMs

> > *Actual available memory may be less
> > Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
> > Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
> > DIMM slots Four
> > Open DIMM slots Two
> > --------

> > From ebay, I find a seller who's description is:

> > IBM 1GB 400MHZ PC3200 CL3 ECC DDR SDRAM RDIMM GENUINE IBM MEMORY FOR
> > BLADECENTER LS20 (39M584

> > The price is CAN $ 35.00. I think it is a bargain, is it?
> > ---------

> > A website introduces IBM BladeCenter LS20* as:

> > IBM BladeCenter LS20*
> > Processor AMD Opteron Model 246, 250, 252, 254, 270, 275 and 280
> > Number of processors (std/max) 1/2
> > Cache 1MB L2 per processor core
> > Memory1 Up to 16GB DDR VLP memory
> > ----

> > If you are an expert on PC, could you tell me that the seller's SDRAM
> > can upgrade my HP, technically? Thanks in advance.

> RDIMM stands for Registered DIMM. They are used on servers.
>
> UDIMM stands for unbuffered DIMM. They are used on desktops.
>
> The above memory is the wrong kind, as it is registered.
>
> You can get a matched pair like this 2x1GB kit for $104.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231047
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Hi,
Thank you very much. I find the following two choices. Buffalo is
$50.00, while Kingston is $69.00. There is no CL parameter for
Buffalow. And I know Kingston, but I do not know Buffalo. Both can
upgrade my PC? Thanks again.

--------
Buffalo Select 1GB DDR SDRAM Computer System Memory, DDR400 (PC 3200),
184-Pin, Non-ECC, Unbuffered,

Model: DD4003-1G/BR
Manufactured with reliable components and built to meet Buffalo's high
manufacturing standards, Buffalo

Select Memory Modules give customers unrivaled quality and value. Each
module is 100% tested with major

motherboards for optimal compatibility and is very cost-effective.

Features & Specifications: Model: DD4003-1G/BR. Series: Select. Type:
184-Pin DDR SDRAM. Capacity: 1 GB.

Speed: DDR 400 (PC 3200). Cas Latency: 3. Voltage: 2.6V + 0.2V. ECC:
No. Buffered/Registered:

Unbuffered. Heat Spreader: No.

-----------
KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 1024MB C3A

General
Storage Capacity 1 GB
Upgrade Type Generic
Memory
Type DRAM
Technology DDR SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
Module Height (inch) 1.25
Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
Latency Timings CL3
Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
RAM Features Unbuffered
Module Configuration 128 x 64
Supply Voltage 2.6 V
Lead Plating Gold
Expansion / Connectivity
Compatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM 184-pin

Paul

fl wrote:
> [...]

> Speed: DDR 400 (PC 3200). Cas Latency: 3. Voltage: 2.6V + 0.2V. ECC:
> No. Buffered/Registered:
>
> Unbuffered. Heat Spreader: No.
>
> -----------
> KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 1024MB C3A
>
> General
> Storage Capacity 1 GB
> Upgrade Type Generic
> Memory
> Type DRAM
> Technology DDR SDRAM
> Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
> Module Height (inch) 1.25
> Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
> Latency Timings CL3
> Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
> RAM Features Unbuffered
> Module Configuration 128 x 64
> Supply Voltage 2.6 V
> Lead Plating Gold
> Expansion / Connectivity
> Compatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM 184-pin

There is only one Buffalo DDR product on Newegg,
and it looks OK. But it is a 512MB capacity, so
doesn't represent what their 1GB DIMMs would be like.

Personally, I'd rather find products, where I have
reviews I can read. If I see reports of DOA, then the
product isn't really $50, it is $50 plus the postage to
return the defective product. Or a restocking fee, if
I choose to return it. Which is why the reports of
DOA count a little bit in your choice.

I've bought several batches of RAM from Crucial, and
all of that stuff is still running 100%. So I can
recommend them, but the price is not nearly as good
as some of the others.

Paul

fl

On Dec 20, 12:43 am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> fl wrote:
> >> RDIMM stands for Registered DIMM. They are used on servers.

> >> UDIMM stands for unbuffered DIMM. They are used on desktops.

> >> The above memory is the wrong kind, as it is registered.

> >> You can get a matched pair like this 2x1GB kit for $104.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231047

> >> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi,
> > Thank you very much. I find the following two choices. Buffalo is
> > $50.00, while Kingston is $69.00. There is no CL parameter for
> > Buffalow. And I know Kingston, but I do not know Buffalo. Both can
> > upgrade my PC? Thanks again.

> > --------
> > Buffalo Select 1GB DDR SDRAM Computer System Memory, DDR400 (PC 3200),
> > 184-Pin, Non-ECC, Unbuffered,

> > Model: DD4003-1G/BR
> > Manufactured with reliable components and built to meet Buffalo's high
> > manufacturing standards, Buffalo

> > Select Memory Modules give customers unrivaled quality and value. Each
> > module is 100% tested with major

> > motherboards for optimal compatibility and is very cost-effective.

> > Features & Specifications: Model: DD4003-1G/BR. Series: Select. Type:
> > 184-Pin DDR SDRAM. Capacity: 1 GB.

> > Speed: DDR 400 (PC 3200). Cas Latency: 3. Voltage: 2.6V + 0.2V. ECC:
> > No. Buffered/Registered:

> > Unbuffered. Heat Spreader: No.

> > -----------
> > KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 1024MB C3A

> > General
> > Storage Capacity 1 GB
> > Upgrade Type Generic
> > Memory
> > Type DRAM
> > Technology DDR SDRAM
> > Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
> > Module Height (inch) 1.25
> > Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
> > Latency Timings CL3
> > Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
> > RAM Features Unbuffered
> > Module Configuration 128 x 64
> > Supply Voltage 2.6 V
> > Lead Plating Gold
> > Expansion / Connectivity
> > Compatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM 184-pin

> There is only one Buffalo DDR product on Newegg,
> and it looks OK. But it is a 512MB capacity, so
> doesn't represent what their 1GB DIMMs would be like.
>
> Personally, I'd rather find products, where I have
> reviews I can read. If I see reports of DOA, then the
> product isn't really $50, it is $50 plus the postage to
> return the defective product. Or a restocking fee, if
> I choose to return it. Which is why the reports of
> DOA count a little bit in your choice.
>
> I've bought several batches of RAM from Crucial, and
> all of that stuff is still running 100%. So I can
> recommend them, but the price is not nearly as good
> as some of the others.
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your opinion. The link you provide, they are out of stock.
I have to find another source. The CL of 1GB is 3, while the CL of
512MB is 2.5. What does that mean? Which one is right and better?
Thank you very much.

data from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231047
Model
Brand BUFFALO
Series Select
Model DD4002-KS1G/BR
Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 2.5
Heat Spreader No
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime limited
Labor Lifetime limited

Paul

fl wrote:
> [...]

>> and it looks OK. But it is a 512MB capacity, so
>> doesn't represent what their 1GB DIMMs would be like.
>>
>> Personally, I'd rather find products, where I have
>> reviews I can read. If I see reports of DOA, then the
>> product isn't really $50, it is $50 plus the postage to
>> return the defective product. Or a restocking fee, if
>> I choose to return it. Which is why the reports of
>> DOA count a little bit in your choice.
>>
>> I've bought several batches of RAM from Crucial, and
>> all of that stuff is still running 100%. So I can
>> recommend them, but the price is not nearly as good
>> as some of the others.
>>
>> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for your opinion. The link you provide, they are out of stock.
> I have to find another source. The CL of 1GB is 3, while the CL of
> 512MB is 2.5. What does that mean? Which one is right and better?

When a motherboard has four slots, it supports dual channel operation.
There are two channels, each channel having room for two sticks.

The best way to populate a dual channel board, is to use matched pairs.
If the sticks are not matched, then it is possible the board may operate
in single channel mode, with a reduction in bandwidth.

In terms of the speed issue for DDR, a stick rated for a higher speed,
can operate in lower speed applications. So for example, if you saw a
PC4000 stick for sale, you can run it in a PC3200 application.

When it comes to CAS, if one pair of sticks were CAS3, and another pair
of sticks were CAS2.5, the BIOS will select the slower speed (CAS3) to
run all the sticks. Memory controllers are designed with simplified control
schemes, to reduce the design effort. So the memory controller
runs the memory at the timings and capabilities of the slowest stick.
If you had some fast memory, added a matched pair of slow memory, the
BIOS will operate all of them at the slow speed.

Your best options are to add 2x1GB or buy a second matched pair and
make it 4x1GB. Due to the limitations of 32 bit OSes and chipsets,
in the 4x1GB case, you won't get to use all the memory. Some address
space is used to access PCI, AGP, or PCI Express cards, and then the
amount of address space remaining might only be 3.25GB or so. On
computers with two video cards in SLI mode, the available address
space can actually drop below the 3GB mark, and in that case, the
most economical choice is 2x1GB + 2x512MB.

You could buy 2x1GB to start, install them, watch Task Manager, and
if you frequently go over the 2GB mark, buy a second pair. That
way, you won't commit too much money to the upgrade, to no
purpose.

I still think you should read as many reviews as you can find. There
are many tricks pulled, to make memory products. For example, you can
buy untested memory chips from a factory, and test them yourself before
soldering them to a module. The tricks tend to stand out, when you
read hundreds of reviews on Newegg. That is the best way to detect lemons.
Lowest price is not the answer! Observable product quality is.

I learned my lesson the hard way. I've bought two lots of cheap RAM
from local computer stores. You know, the "one day sale" thing you
see in the newspaper. Both lots died a bit past the one year mark.
One computer store was bankrupt and gone, when I made the discovery.
After that, I've been dealing with Crucial and have no regrets.
But really, you have to examine these things on a product by product
basis, and there can be quality differences between "ValueRAM" and
"enthusiast" sticks. It is not the name that is important, but where
the sticks are coming from. Some "ValueRAM" type products are
"flowthru", and the company is just stamping their name on the
stick, and have had virtually nothing to do with production.
If a company has good quality control, then contract manufacturing
is a fine concept. But if the company doesn't care what it ships,
it shows in the reviews.

Paul

Bruce

Have a look a Crucial US website, there's a bit of software that will scan
your PC and advise you what upgrades are suitable.

Bruce