Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Durability and backward compatibility over 10 years...

Durability and backward compatibility over 10 years...

Philippe DAVID

Hi,

I would like to use python to write some scripts for a system that will be used
for more than 10 years. My problem is the following:
In 10 years, if the OS evolves and ships with the latest stable version of
python, is there a chance for my 10 year old scripts to run on the new system ?
(I am using the following imports: os, sys, md5, getopt, socket, UserDict).
Currently we are using a RHEL linux, it includes python 2, 2.3 and 2.5. How old
is this python 2 ?

I don't need to be 100% sure that it will work, but avoiding upgrades of the
scripts would be a significant plus.

Otherwise, is it possible to do something similar like static compiling in C ? I
mean having one file, or a little set of files that contain my scripts and what
is needed from the python libs to run them ? This way I could ship the scripts
and some executables and be pretty much confident it will run even on new
systems for a long time.

Regards,
Philippe