Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista is out to get your files / Another Vista stuff up / Microsoft Paranoia

Vista is out to get your files / Another Vista stuff up / Microsoft Paranoia

PeeCee

Greetings all.

Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB memory stick
before heading off to a job tomorrow.
Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add something else and
plugged it back in.

Vista immediately pops up the following message:

<quote>
The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may be from the
device manufacturer or they may have been added from another computer.
Do you want to remove the existing files to make room to sync with the
Windows Media Player library on this computer?
0 No, leave the existing files on the device and sync to the remaining
available space (you can delete the files later)
* Yes, delete all digital media files from the device before sync.
</quote>
The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is highlighted at the
bottom of the window.

There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov, .wmv, .wma, .mp3
etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.

* What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files are on a USB
stick anyway
* Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default should be set to
'not' delete without express action by the user
* Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ? in a similar vein to
the yes/no option the default button should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'

..Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults, more to the point
why should the window pop up at all.
I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my' problem not Media
Players.
Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug in media on the
basis that one is 'likely' to be loading (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?

Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB stick!

Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are displaying your paranoia
again.
Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the performance sapping
paranoiaware and stop treating us like Criminals.

Comments anyone.

Paul.

Another

PeeCee wrote:
> Greetings all.
> Comments anyone.

<snip>

> Paul.

Here is a very well written comment.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

elaich

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:fkb3cq$7ot$(E-Mail Removed):

> Comments anyone.

Run XP.

thanatoid

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fkb3cq$7ot$(E-Mail Removed):

> Greetings all.
>
> Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB
> memory stick before heading off to a job tomorrow.
> Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add
> something else and plugged it back in.
>
> Vista immediately pops up the following message:
>
> <quote>
> The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may
> be from the device manufacturer or they may have been added
> from another computer. Do you want to remove the existing
> files to make room to sync with the Windows Media Player
> library on this computer? 0 No, leave the existing files on
> the device and sync to the remaining available space (you
> can delete the files later) * Yes, delete all digital media
> files from the device before sync. </quote>
> The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is
> highlighted at the bottom of the window.
>
> There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov,
> .wmv, .wma, .mp3 etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.
>
> * What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files
> are on a USB stick anyway
> * Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default
> should be set to 'not' delete without express action by the
> user * Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ?
> in a similar vein to the yes/no option the default button
> should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'
>
> .Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults,
> more to the point why should the window pop up at all.
> I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my'
> problem not Media Players.
> Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug
> in media on the basis that one is 'likely' to be loading
> (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?
>
> Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB
> stick!
>
> Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are
> displaying your paranoia again.
> Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the
> performance sapping paranoiaware and stop treating us like
> Criminals.
>
> Comments anyone.
>
> Paul.

Upgrade to Win 98SE.

--
The only cure for stupidity is death.
The only cure for brilliance is death.

ellis_jay

thanatoid wrote:
> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:fkb3cq$7ot$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Greetings all.
>>
>> Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB
>> memory stick before heading off to a job tomorrow.
>> Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add
>> something else and plugged it back in.
>>
>> Vista immediately pops up the following message:
>>
>> <quote>
>> The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may
>> be from the device manufacturer or they may have been added
>> from another computer. Do you want to remove the existing
>> files to make room to sync with the Windows Media Player
>> library on this computer? 0 No, leave the existing files on
>> the device and sync to the remaining available space (you
>> can delete the files later) * Yes, delete all digital media
>> files from the device before sync. </quote>
>> The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is
>> highlighted at the bottom of the window.
>>
>> There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov,
>> .wmv, .wma, .mp3 etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.
>>
>> * What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files
>> are on a USB stick anyway
>> * Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default
>> should be set to 'not' delete without express action by the
>> user * Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ?
>> in a similar vein to the yes/no option the default button
>> should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'
>>
>> .Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults,
>> more to the point why should the window pop up at all.
>> I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my'
>> problem not Media Players.
>> Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug
>> in media on the basis that one is 'likely' to be loading
>> (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?
>>
>> Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB
>> stick!
>>
>> Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are
>> displaying your paranoia again.
>> Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the
>> performance sapping paranoiaware and stop treating us like
>> Criminals.
>>
>> Comments anyone.
>>
>> Paul.

> Upgrade to Win 98SE.

lol

--
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
government. ___Edward Abbey

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings all.
>
>Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB memory stick
>before heading off to a job tomorrow.
>Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add something else and
>plugged it back in.
>
>Vista immediately pops up the following message:
>
><quote>
>The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may be from the
>device manufacturer or they may have been added from another computer.
>Do you want to remove the existing files to make room to sync with the
>Windows Media Player library on this computer?
>0 No, leave the existing files on the device and sync to the remaining
>available space (you can delete the files later)
>* Yes, delete all digital media files from the device before sync.
></quote>
>The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is highlighted at the
>bottom of the window.
>
>There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov, .wmv, .wma, .mp3
>etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.
>
>* What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files are on a USB
>stick anyway
>* Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default should be set to
>'not' delete without express action by the user
>* Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ? in a similar vein to
>the yes/no option the default button should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'
>
>.Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults, more to the point
>why should the window pop up at all.
>I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my' problem not Media
>Players.
>Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug in media on the
>basis that one is 'likely' to be loading (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?
>
>Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB stick!
>
>Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are displaying your paranoia
>again.
>Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the performance sapping
>paranoiaware and stop treating us like Criminals.
>
>Comments anyone.

Following the DRM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure
and linking to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

Appears from what I read, there is a setting in WMP to toggle this
action.
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaline/...n/photostream/

Mr. Arnold

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fkb3cq$7ot$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Comments anyone.

Comon man, if you want help with Vista, then you are posting to the wrong
NG. You should be posting to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or
Setup_Install at msnews.microsoft.com, which is MS Communities that has been
established for you with Vista's Windows Mail.

They can't help you here, other than, what you're getting, which is
*nothing* -- *no help*. Hell, they can't even point you in the right
direction. <g>

jtnospam@yahoo.com

On Dec 20, 3:05*pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:fkb3cq$7ot$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Comments anyone.

> Comon man, if you want help with Vista, then you are posting to the wrong
> NG. You should be posting to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or
> Setup_Install at msnews.microsoft.com, which is MS Communities that has been
> established for you with Vista's Windows Mail.
>
> They can't help you here, other than, what you're getting, which is
> *nothing* -- *no help*. * Hell, they can't even point you in the right
> direction. *<g>

Sounds like typical microcrap. They missed to open source on servers,
they missed the google revolution, they were behind apple on ipod.
I've heard the Mac Vista works better, which sounds very believable.
Eventually, they will go the way of Woolworth's and Montgomery Wards.-
Jitney

Mr. Arnold

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Dec 20, 3:05 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:fkb3cq$7ot$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Comments anyone.

> Comon man, if you want help with Vista, then you are posting to the wrong
> NG. You should be posting to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or
> Setup_Install at msnews.microsoft.com, which is MS Communities that has
> been
> established for you with Vista's Windows Mail.
>
> They can't help you here, other than, what you're getting, which is
> *nothing* -- *no help*. Hell, they can't even point you in the right
> direction. <g>

Sounds like typical microcrap. They missed to open source on servers,
they missed the google revolution, they were behind apple on ipod.
I've heard the Mac Vista works better, which sounds very believable.
Eventually, they will go the way of Woolworth's and Montgomery Wards.-

--------------------

Well, don't complain to me about it. I am not Microsoft. Yeah, and you can
believe that pipe dream about MS wouldn't be around. They said the same
thing about IBM mainframe technology back in the late 80's and early 90's.
It's still around. It has not gone anywhere, and it will not be going
anywhere any time soon, not in your life time.

And in the meantime, MS continues to walk Linux and Apache down in the Web
server market, which has been going on for several months.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

The walk down is due to Win 2k3 server, IIS 6 and .Net.

Technology really as not changed that much in over 35 years, and until
technology changes drastically enough that a new player comes out of it to
knock MS out of the box, then MS is not going anywhere. It's good that there
is competition to drive down cost for the consumer. But it's the same old
status quo between the players. And if you think MS won't be around, you are
just kidding yourself, and you need a reality check some kind of a way.

MS is going to be around and will still be the dominate player in your life
time. When and if MS does fall, you'll be dust in your grave when it
happens, and you will not care anyway.

There is nothing you can do about it from your little prospective on
hings -- nothing, other than, what you're doing, which is trash talking in
a NG.

Life is too short to be worrying about something like this that you have no
control over it.

..

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mr. Arnold wrote:

> And in the meantime, MS continues to walk Linux and Apache down in the
> Web server market, which has been going on for several months.
>
> <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/11/23/november_2007_web_server_survey.html>
>
> The walk down is due to Win 2k3 server, IIS 6 and .Net.

The only statistic shown on that page with a Microsoft advantage is the
number of *domains/sites* on some Windows servers, where it mentions an
increasing number of blogging sites on some Windows-using servers. But
it also says:

"This /reverses/ the trend in web server market share seen in recent
months. Apache has seen its share seriously eroded by the blog providers
(MySpace and Live Spaces use rival Microsoft IIS) during this year, but
this month its [Apache's] share increases by 1%, taking it back to over
50% market share."

and: "Apache also regains some ground here, rising to 47% market share
and moving back to around a 10% lead over IIS."

...thus disproving your statement, I suppose.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista