Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Data from laptop to laptop

Data from laptop to laptop

brenda

I have resolved the issues from previous postings and now need to transfer
all the content of one laptop to another.
One laptop is running vista the other XP.
I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
drive or just copy direct.
My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.

why?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:26:44 GMT, brenda wrote:

>I have resolved the issues from previous postings and now need to transfer

What previous post? No reference linking back to it. Could have skipped
mentioning it in a new topic

>all the content of one laptop to another.

What do you mean by all the content?

Programs, unless they are standalone (which can simply be copied over)
will need to be reinstalled.

>One laptop is running vista the other XP.
>I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
>drive or just copy direct.

Use the ext. drive.

>My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.

Other methods would usually include,
usb stick
cd/dvd
network connection.

Copying files for mail, browser, bookmarks and usenet readers are all
same. You simply copy the files over.

The issues are what programs you are going from and those to.

i.e. From IE6
Microsoft Internet Explorer
File / Import and Export
use Export Favorites and Export Cookies

From Powermarks (my bookmark manager)
File / Export

How about Forte Agent
I install a clean copy on the new PC, and copy over the Data folder,
or even easier
Copy over the entire Program Files\Agent folder with out a reinstall.
or even backup the messages
File / Save Messages As then

why?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:26:44 GMT, brenda wrote:

Oops hit send instead of file....

>I have resolved the issues from previous postings and now need to transfer
>all the content of one laptop to another.
>One laptop is running vista the other XP.
>I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
>drive or just copy direct.
>My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.

How about Forte Agent
I install a clean copy on the new PC, and copy over the Data folder,
or even easier
Copy over the entire Program Files\Agent folder with out a reinstall.
or even backup the messages
File / Save Messages As then File / Import
there is also
File / Addresses Import and Export
File / Newsrc Import and Export

Me

PeeCee

"brenda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newst5aj.14734$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have resolved the issues from previous postings and now need to transfer
> all the content of one laptop to another.
> One laptop is running vista the other XP.
> I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
> drive or just copy direct.
> My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.

Brenda

Either get yourself a 'crossover' LAN cable then type 'transfer files and
settings' into Vista's help and support.
Or
Simply copy all your personal data from your XP Laptop to the External Hard
drive, then copy it to the new Laptop.

If I may I would strongly suggest the later as a way of helping you to
define what data is important to you and more importantly where it is and
how to back it up.

The 'usual' objects to backup are:

My Documents
Emails & Address Book if you use Outlook Express.
Outlook pst file if you use Outlook.
Browser Favourites/Bookmarks.
Plus any bespoke software like accountancy packages, business specialty
software etc.

Best
Paul.