Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > puzzled in Application manifest

puzzled in Application manifest

Jeremy

Got from MSDN that there's an element - assemblyIdentity in the application
manifest which describes and uniquely identifies the application owning this
application manifest.

What I'm puzzled is following attributes with this element:

1- processorArchitecture (optional), which specifies the processor, x86 for
32-bit Windows; ia64 for 64-bit Windows. If my application needs to support
both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows how should I specify it?

2- type (required), which specifies the application type and must be Win32
(not sure if it works on 64-bit Windows)
I generated an application using Visual Studio 2005 and extract its manifest
using mt.exe but cannot find this required attribute and the
processorArchitecture is specified as msil

Any advice would be appreciate!

Jeremy

Kevin Spencer

Hi Jeremy,

"msil" indicates a processor-neutral architecture. All attributes of the
assemblyIdentity element are also optional, so you can leave it out if you
wish.

As for the type attribute, I believe you can set that to a blank string, as
per this MSDN reference:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...pe(VS.80).aspx

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Chicken Salad Surgeon
Microsoft MVP

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got from MSDN that there's an element - assemblyIdentity in the
> application manifest which describes and uniquely identifies the
> application owning this application manifest.
>
> What I'm puzzled is following attributes with this element:
>
> 1- processorArchitecture (optional), which specifies the processor, x86
> for 32-bit Windows; ia64 for 64-bit Windows. If my application needs to
> support both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows how should I specify it?
>
> 2- type (required), which specifies the application type and must be Win32
> (not sure if it works on 64-bit Windows)
> I generated an application using Visual Studio 2005 and extract its
> manifest using mt.exe but cannot find this required attribute and the
> processorArchitecture is specified as msil
>
> Any advice would be appreciate!
>
> Jeremy

Jeremy

Thanks Kevin,

It looks to the documentation is cheating me, I got it's Required and must be Win32 in lower case from: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...91(VS.85).aspx but optional from Manifest File Schema documentaion (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...35(VS.85).aspx)

And, I can't distinguish Application Manifests and Assembly Manifest as the required elememts are all same (assembly, assemblyIdentity), so how can I tell which manifest it is if it's only contains these two elements?

Thanks,
Jeremy

"Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> "msil" indicates a processor-neutral architecture. All attributes of the
> assemblyIdentity element are also optional, so you can leave it out if you
> wish.
>
> As for the type attribute, I believe you can set that to a blank string, as
> per this MSDN reference:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...pe(VS.80).aspx
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Chicken Salad Surgeon
> Microsoft MVP
>
> "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Got from MSDN that there's an element - assemblyIdentity in the
>> application manifest which describes and uniquely identifies the
>> application owning this application manifest.
>>
>> What I'm puzzled is following attributes with this element:
>>
>> 1- processorArchitecture (optional), which specifies the processor, x86
>> for 32-bit Windows; ia64 for 64-bit Windows. If my application needs to
>> support both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows how should I specify it?
>>
>> 2- type (required), which specifies the application type and must be Win32
>> (not sure if it works on 64-bit Windows)
>> I generated an application using Visual Studio 2005 and extract its
>> manifest using mt.exe but cannot find this required attribute and the
>> processorArchitecture is specified as msil
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciate!
>>
>> Jeremy

Kevin Spencer

Hi Jeremy,

I must admit that I had the same confusion as you regarding this. The only
thing I can suggest is to try using a blank string, try using "win32," and
see which one works.