Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems uninstalling old network adapters

Problems uninstalling old network adapters

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJF?=

Over time, I have ended up with multiple (Linksys WUSB11) wireless network
adapter entries in my Device Manager (when I include hidden devices). I want
to clean things up, but am not able to uninstall any of the duplicate
adapters. I get the following error: "Failed to uninstall the device. The
device may be needed to boot up the computer." I've tried to log in as
Administrator and do a clean boot, but get the same result. Any suggestions
for troubleshooting steps?

Thanks!

Pavel A.

What is "clean boot" - Safe mode?

--PA

"PeterE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Over time, I have ended up with multiple (Linksys WUSB11) wireless network
> adapter entries in my Device Manager (when I include hidden devices). I want
> to clean things up, but am not able to uninstall any of the duplicate
> adapters. I get the following error: "Failed to uninstall the device. The
> device may be needed to boot up the computer." I've tried to log in as
> Administrator and do a clean boot, but get the same result. Any suggestions
> for troubleshooting steps?
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJF?=

By clean boot, I mean turning off most (not including Microsoft system
start-up programs) boot options as listed under MSCONFIG.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> What is "clean boot" - Safe mode?
>
> --PA
>
> "PeterE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Over time, I have ended up with multiple (Linksys WUSB11) wireless network
> > adapter entries in my Device Manager (when I include hidden devices). I want
> > to clean things up, but am not able to uninstall any of the duplicate
> > adapters. I get the following error: "Failed to uninstall the device. The
> > device may be needed to boot up the computer." I've tried to log in as
> > Administrator and do a clean boot, but get the same result. Any suggestions
> > for troubleshooting steps?
> >
> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

Ok. Then boot in Safe mode (press F8 while XP boots) and then try Device
Manager again.

--PA

"PeterE" wrote:

> By clean boot, I mean turning off most (not including Microsoft system
> start-up programs) boot options as listed under MSCONFIG.
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
> > What is "clean boot" - Safe mode?
> >
> > --PA
> >
> > "PeterE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Over time, I have ended up with multiple (Linksys WUSB11) wireless network
> > > adapter entries in my Device Manager (when I include hidden devices). I want
> > > to clean things up, but am not able to uninstall any of the duplicate
> > > adapters. I get the following error: "Failed to uninstall the device. The
> > > device may be needed to boot up the computer." I've tried to log in as
> > > Administrator and do a clean boot, but get the same result. Any suggestions
> > > for troubleshooting steps?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJF?=

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, but no luck. Someone from MS asked
for a specific section of my registry. Hopefully he's got some ideas...

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Ok. Then boot in Safe mode (press F8 while XP boots) and then try Device
> Manager again.
>
> --PA
>
> "PeterE" wrote:
>
> > By clean boot, I mean turning off most (not including Microsoft system
> > start-up programs) boot options as listed under MSCONFIG.
> >
> > "Pavel A." wrote:
> >
> > > What is "clean boot" - Safe mode?
> > >
> > > --PA

Pavel A.

Strange. I've seen this behavior only on win2000. In XP it had been fixed...