Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connectivity: failed "renewing your IP address"

Wireless connectivity: failed "renewing your IP address"

lenoir

I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Have not been able to connect to
my wireless network yet. Ethernet works great. I'm running XP Pro with
SP2. My wireless is security enabled and the strength is Excellent.
But I have 'limited or no connectivity'.

I've tried 'repair' numerous times, and get "Windows could not finish
repairing the problem because the following action could not be
completed: Renewing your IP address".

I have a DSL modem that my ethernet cables plug into, then my wireless-
g access point plugs into the modem.

I have a Mac playing music through an Airport that works off the
wireless, so I know it works.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on getting this ironed out.

Lem

lenoir wrote:
> I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Have not been able to connect to
> my wireless network yet. Ethernet works great. I'm running XP Pro with
> SP2. My wireless is security enabled and the strength is Excellent.
> But I have 'limited or no connectivity'.
>
> I've tried 'repair' numerous times, and get "Windows could not finish
> repairing the problem because the following action could not be
> completed: Renewing your IP address".
>
> I have a DSL modem that my ethernet cables plug into, then my wireless-
> g access point plugs into the modem.
>
> I have a Mac playing music through an Airport that works off the
> wireless, so I know it works.
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts on getting this ironed out.

Just to be sure we're on the same page with respect to your equipment
and how it's connected, please give the make/model of your DSL modem and
your wireless access point.

It sounds as if your DSL "modem" is actually a combination of modem and
router (if multiple Ethernet cables are connected to it). Another
question is whether your wireless access point is truly an access point
or a wireless router.

That being said, a common cause of symptoms such as you describe is a
failure to enter your encryption password correctly. Try temporarily
disabling all security mechanisms you configured on your router
(encryption, MAC filtering, other filters).

There also may be a conflict between any wireless configuration
installed by Lenovo and Windows' own Wireless Zero Configuration
utility. You want to use one or the other, but not both simultaneously.
See http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

lenoir

On Dec 18, 6:15 pm, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> lenoir wrote:
> > I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Have not been able to connect to
> > my wireless network yet. Ethernet works great. I'm running XP Pro with
> > SP2. My wireless is security enabled and the strength is Excellent.
> > But I have 'limited or no connectivity'.

> > I've tried 'repair' numerous times, and get "Windows could not finish
> > repairing the problem because the following action could not be
> > completed: Renewing your IP address".

> > I have a DSL modem that my ethernet cables plug into, then my wireless-
> > g access point plugs into the modem.

> > I have a Mac playing music through an Airport that works off the
> > wireless, so I know it works.

> > Thanks in advance for any thoughts on getting this ironed out.

> Just to be sure we're on the same page with respect to your equipment
> and how it's connected, please give the make/model of your DSL modem and
> your wireless access point.
>
> It sounds as if your DSL "modem" is actually a combination of modem and
> router (if multiple Ethernet cables are connected to it). Another
> question is whether your wireless access point is truly an access point
> or a wireless router.
>
> That being said, a common cause of symptoms such as you describe is a
> failure to enter your encryption password correctly. Try temporarily
> disabling all security mechanisms you configured on your router
> (encryption, MAC filtering, other filters).
>
> There also may be a conflict between any wireless configuration
> installed by Lenovo and Windows' own Wireless Zero Configuration
> utility. You want to use one or the other, but not both simultaneously.
> Seehttp://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>
> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Lem! It very well could be the password: I had several
passwords written down on a piece of paper (from spouse!) and I had to
guess at them until connected. Can you tell me how to start from
scratch and redo?

I had already uninstalled Lenovo's wireless configuration earlier
today, so that should no longer be an issue.

My husband's laptop is connected just fine; I didn't see any tcp/ip
properties that were any different from what I have, so again this may
be password related. I'm so excited to have a direction.

The modem is a Cayman DSL Router model 3220-H. The wap is a Linksys
WAP 54G v.2.

I have the Windows firewall enabled FYI.

Thank you!

Lem

lenoir wrote:
> On Dec 18, 6:15 pm, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> lenoir wrote:
>>> I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Have not been able to connect to
>>> my wireless network yet. Ethernet works great. I'm running XP Pro with
>>> SP2. My wireless is security enabled and the strength is Excellent.
>>> But I have 'limited or no connectivity'.
>>> I've tried 'repair' numerous times, and get "Windows could not finish
>>> repairing the problem because the following action could not be
>>> completed: Renewing your IP address".
>>> I have a DSL modem that my ethernet cables plug into, then my wireless-
>>> g access point plugs into the modem.
>>> I have a Mac playing music through an Airport that works off the
>>> wireless, so I know it works.
>>> Thanks in advance for any thoughts on getting this ironed out.

>> Just to be sure we're on the same page with respect to your equipment
>> and how it's connected, please give the make/model of your DSL modem and
>> your wireless access point.
>>
>> It sounds as if your DSL "modem" is actually a combination of modem and
>> router (if multiple Ethernet cables are connected to it). Another
>> question is whether your wireless access point is truly an access point
>> or a wireless router.
>>
>> That being said, a common cause of symptoms such as you describe is a
>> failure to enter your encryption password correctly. Try temporarily
>> disabling all security mechanisms you configured on your router
>> (encryption, MAC filtering, other filters).
>>
>> There also may be a conflict between any wireless configuration
>> installed by Lenovo and Windows' own Wireless Zero Configuration
>> utility. You want to use one or the other, but not both simultaneously.
>> Seehttp://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks Lem! It very well could be the password: I had several
> passwords written down on a piece of paper (from spouse!) and I had to
> guess at them until connected. Can you tell me how to start from
> scratch and redo?
>
> I had already uninstalled Lenovo's wireless configuration earlier
> today, so that should no longer be an issue.
>
> My husband's laptop is connected just fine; I didn't see any tcp/ip
> properties that were any different from what I have, so again this may
> be password related. I'm so excited to have a direction.
>
> The modem is a Cayman DSL Router model 3220-H. The wap is a Linksys
> WAP 54G v.2.
>
> I have the Windows firewall enabled FYI.
>
> Thank you!

Thanks for letting me know what equipment you have. Your Cayman 322H
is, indeed, a combination DSL modem and router. It doesn't support the
fastest Local Area Connection ("10 BaseT" or 10 megabits per second
rather than the more common (today)"100 BaseT" or 100 megabits per
second), but it still should be faster than an ordinary DSL line (that
is, your speed limitation would be caused by your DSL connection, not
your LAN connection).

Your Linksys WPA54G is a wireless access point, as you said, and not a
router.

Because your Cayman provides local IP addresses to computers on your LAN
whether they are connected directly to the Cayman by an Ethernet cable
or by wireless through the WPA54G, the fact that your laptop works OK
when connected by Ethernet cable means that your laptop is either set to
obtain its IP address automatically (the usual and default situation) or
has a static IP address of the correct form for your network.

All of the above is a long-winded way of saying that configuration of
your laptop's NIC is probably OK.

To deal with wireless password issues, basically what you need to do is
to access the WAP54G's internal web-based configuration utility. If you
don't have the User Guide, you can download it from here:
http://tinyurl.com/2k94km The following is an overview of the steps to
take to deal with wireless security, but you would be well-served to
take a look at the manual, particularly chapter 7. As you go through
the access point's configuration utility, you can look at virtually
anything you want without worrying about messing things up as long as
you do *not* click the "save settings" button until you really want to
make a change.

Do the following from a computer connected to your Cayman with an
Ethernet cable, rather than one with a wireless connection. If you use
your laptop, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable once you're done.

Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.245 in the address field. This
is the default address of the WAP54G. You should see a login screen.
The default user name is admin and the default password is admin.

If you don't get a login screen when you browse to 192.168.1.245,
whoever initially setup your system either gave it a different address
or (more likely) set it to obtain an address automatically from the
Cayman router. If this happens, the easiest thing to do is to run the
Linksys Setup Wizard again. It will scan your network and tell you what
IP address has been assigned to the access point.

If admin/admin doesn't work and you don't remember what the user name
and password are for the access point, you'll have to reset it to its
defaults and run the setup again. See page 7 of the manual.

Assuming that have accessed the access point's configuration utility
successfully, click the "Wireless" tab and then "Wireless security."
See manual page 45, Fig. 7-13. You should see a drop-down box for
security mode and a box below that for the passphrase. On the Linksys
devices I've used, the passphrase is shown in clear. If so, all you
need to do is write it down (paying attention to capitalization), and
also make a note of the security mode. It should be either
WPA2-Personal, WPA2-Mixed, or WPA-Personal. There may also be a choice
of "AES" or "TKIP". If so, note that as well. You could now exit the
router's configuration and use this info to set up your wireless laptop.

If you want to clear encryption temporarily from the network, just set
the security mode to "disabled." If you change the security mode, don't
forget to click the "save settings" button on your way out.

While you're in the access point wireless security area, you should
check the "wireless MAC filter tab" to make sure that no MAC filters
were set up. If MAC filtering is turned on, your laptop won't connect
until you add the MAC address of its wireless adapter to the router's
list. I suggest that you not have any MAC filtering turned on. It's
not much, if any, of a security addition.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

lenoir

On Dec 19, 1:28 am, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> also make a note of the security mode. It should be either
> WPA2-Personal, WPA2-Mixed, or WPA-Personal. There may also be a choice
> of "AES" or "TKIP". If so, note that as well. You could now exit the
> router's configuration and use this info to set up your wireless laptop.
>
> If you want to clear encryption temporarily from the network, just set
> the security mode to "disabled." If you change the security mode, don't
> forget to click the "save settings" button on your way out.
>
> While you're in the access point wireless security area, you should
> check the "wireless MAC filter tab" to make sure that no MAC filters
> were set up. If MAC filtering is turned on, your laptop won't connect
> until you add the MAC address of its wireless adapter to the router's
> list. I suggest that you not have any MAC filtering turned on. It's
> not much, if any, of a security addition.

GREAT information and instructions--thanks so much for all your time. I
will tackle this afternoon.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking about new equipment for a while. The
Cayman is 5 years old. I might bite the bullet and go with a wireless
N unit that has dsl and router and everything in one. Do you have any
recommendations for equipment? I saw a 2wire.com unit yesterday that
looked interesting and was highly rated on cnet. My concern is this:
AT&T handles my dsl, and when I move or it goes out (granted, not
often), they do a really terrible job of getting it going again. (It
took them two WEEKS to get my dsl installed when I moved.) So I have
concerns that if I buy equipment from someone other than them that
they won't have a clue when they do have to come out. Is this a valid
concern or is the newer equipment semi-idiot-proof?

Anyway, a bit about my setup: this is for my home office where I spend
a good bit of time working remotely. Not a whole lot of personal use
other than the Mac using the wireless to play music. So I need
reliability as my livelihood depends on it. Thanks again. lenoir

Suzy

"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> of the security mode. It should be either WPA2-Personal, WPA2-Mixed, or
> WPA-Personal. There may also be a choice of "AES" or "TKIP". If so, note
> that as well. You could now exit the router's configuration and use this
> info to set up your wireless laptop.
>
> If you want to clear encryption temporarily from the network, just set the
> security mode to "disabled." If you change the security mode, don't forget
> to click the "save settings" button on your way out.
>
> While you're in the access point wireless security area, you should check
> the "wireless MAC filter tab" to make sure that no MAC filters were set
> up. If MAC filtering is turned on, your laptop won't connect until you
> add the MAC address of its wireless adapter to the router's list. I
> suggest that you not have any MAC filtering turned on. It's not much, if

But what if (like me) there is no Ethernet port on your laptop? How can you
then connect directly to change settings as advised above ?

Lem

lenoir wrote:
> [...]

> N unit that has dsl and router and everything in one. Do you have any
> recommendations for equipment? I saw a 2wire.com unit yesterday that
> looked interesting and was highly rated on cnet. My concern is this:
> AT&T handles my dsl, and when I move or it goes out (granted, not
> often), they do a really terrible job of getting it going again. (It
> took them two WEEKS to get my dsl installed when I moved.) So I have
> concerns that if I buy equipment from someone other than them that
> they won't have a clue when they do have to come out. Is this a valid
> concern or is the newer equipment semi-idiot-proof?
>
> Anyway, a bit about my setup: this is for my home office where I spend
> a good bit of time working remotely. Not a whole lot of personal use
> other than the Mac using the wireless to play music. So I need
> reliability as my livelihood depends on it. Thanks again. lenoir

My opinion, and that of at least a few others who regularly post in this
NG, is that you are generally better off spending a few dollars more in
the beginning and buying a modem and a router separately, rather than
getting an all-in-one-box solution.

Buying a DSL modem yourself, rather than getting it from your ISP, takes
a bit of information: some ISPs will only operate with certain
"approved" modems. AFAIK, this is more common with cable than with DSL,
but I'm not really sure. For more information, you could check out
http://www.dslreports.com/ where there are FAQs and Forums specific to
different ISPs. Also see my suggestion at the bottom of this post. In
addition, there may be certain parameters that need to be configured in
the modem (in addition to your username and password). In general, your
ISP tech support line should tell you what these are if you ask.

As far as whether an AT&T tech could deal with any random DSL modem, the
odds are that they wouldn't try unless it was on their "approved" list.
On the other hand, if your DSL service "goes out," the problem
probably is outside your home and it can be serviced without regard to
your equipment. At the worst, if a service tech comes to your house,
he/she should be able to test the line coming into your office and tell
you whether it's "good" or not. If the line is OK and works with the
tech's modem but not with yours, you may have to figure it out yourself
-- but keep the User Guide handy to show the tech. Again, you might
want to ask this sort of question at a DSLReports forum.

These days, most wireless routers also include a 100BaseT 4-port
Ethernet switch, so it's like a combination wired router and wireless
router. If you need to connect more than 4 devices by Ethernet cable
(rather than wireless), you can buy an inexpensive switch to add more ports.

You should be aware that 802.11n is still technically a draft standard.
It has not been ratified. Thus, there is the *possibility* that an
802.11n device bought today *might* not be compatible with the standard
whenever it eventually is ratified. That doesn't seem terribly likely,
and things appear to have stabilized enough for the industry to begin
"certifying" 802.11n wireless devices.

I don't know very much at all about 2wire equipment. The little I have
heard and seen has not been encouraging.

I would suggest that you stick with Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, or
Buffalo. Opinions of others may vary. From posts in this newsgroup,
the D-Link DIR-655 is a good 802.11n router (it also includes a
1000BaseT GigaBit switch for its 4 ethernet ports, but at this point in
the development of Windows operating systems, that's overkill).

Remember that if you buy anything other than a "vanilla" 802.11g router,
you will only get increased speed or range (whether it's "SpeedBooster,"
"Turbo," or draft-N), if you have compatible wireless adapters. If you
buy a wireless-N router, it will work with your current wireless-g
laptop, but only at G speeds.

Finally, if you post a new message in this newsgroup specifically
directed to your question about "upgrading my old DSL modem and wireless
access point," you're likely to get more answers.

Good luck.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Lem

Suzy wrote:
> [...]

>> security mode to "disabled." If you change the security mode, don't forget
>> to click the "save settings" button on your way out.
>>
>> While you're in the access point wireless security area, you should check
>> the "wireless MAC filter tab" to make sure that no MAC filters were set
>> up. If MAC filtering is turned on, your laptop won't connect until you
>> add the MAC address of its wireless adapter to the router's list. I
>> suggest that you not have any MAC filtering turned on. It's not much, if
>> any, of a security addition.
>>

>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

> But what if (like me) there is no Ethernet port on your laptop? How can you
> then connect directly to change settings as advised above ?

You *can* access a router's configuration utility through a wireless
connection. The reason it's recommended to do so using an Ethernet
connection is that as soon as you make a change in the wireless
configuration (e.g., change the SSID, the encryption mode, or the
encryption password) and click "save changes" or the like, your wireless
connection will be severed (because your computer will no longer have
the proper credentials). You would then have to reconfigure your
computer as necessary and re-connect. Not impossible, but more of an
annoyance.

For example, suppose you hadn't changed the default SSID of your router,
and were connecting to "linksys" but now wanted to do so. You would
connect to your "linksys" network, access the router's configuration
utility, change the SSID to Reindeer, and click "save settings." Now go
back to "choose a wireless network," find the [new] entry there for the
"Reindeer" network, and click connect.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It even worse than annoyance. Cause if any typo or mistake is done during
the configuration through Wireless you will not be able to log to he Router
any more.
The only feasible solution then is to hard reset the Wireless to
manufacturer default, start from scratch, and hope for a better success the
second or third time.
Almost all recent Laptop come with wire or wireless connection.
Otherwise in case of emergency to make a Laptop being capable to use wire
takes $12.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> [...]

> connection. The reason it's recommended to do so using an Ethernet
> connection is that as soon as you make a change in the wireless
> configuration (e.g., change the SSID, the encryption mode, or the
> encryption password) and click "save changes" or the like, your wireless
> connection will be severed (because your computer will no longer have the
> proper credentials). You would then have to reconfigure your computer as
> necessary and re-connect. Not impossible, but more of an annoyance.
>
> For example, suppose you hadn't changed the default SSID of your router,
> and were connecting to "linksys" but now wanted to do so. You would
> connect to your "linksys" network, access the router's configuration
> utility, change the SSID to Reindeer, and click "save settings." Now go
> back to "choose a wireless network," find the [new] entry there for the

Lem

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> It even worse than annoyance. Cause if any typo or mistake is done
> during the configuration through Wireless you will not be able to log to
> he Router any more.
> The only feasible solution then is to hard reset the Wireless to
> manufacturer default, start from scratch, and hope for a better success
> the second or third time.
> Almost all recent Laptop come with wire or wireless connection.
> Otherwise in case of emergency to make a Laptop being capable to use
> wire takes $12.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Suzy wrote:
>>> "Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> But what if (like me) there is no Ethernet port on your laptop? How
>>> can you then connect directly to change settings as advised above ?

>> You *can* access a router's configuration utility through a wireless
>> connection. The reason it's recommended to do so using an Ethernet
>> connection is that as soon as you make a change in the wireless
>> configuration (e.g., change the SSID, the encryption mode, or the
>> encryption password) and click "save changes" or the like, your
>> wireless connection will be severed (because your computer will no
>> longer have the proper credentials). You would then have to
>> reconfigure your computer as necessary and re-connect. Not
>> impossible, but more of an annoyance.
>>
>> For example, suppose you hadn't changed the default SSID of your
>> router, and were connecting to "linksys" but now wanted to do so. You
>> would connect to your "linksys" network, access the router's
>> configuration utility, change the SSID to Reindeer, and click "save
>> settings." Now go back to "choose a wireless network," find the [new]
>> entry there for the "Reindeer" network, and click connect.
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

Right you are ... I didn't think about what happens if you make a
mistake entering info via the wireless link.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking