Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Downloading video from Mini DV Camera

Downloading video from Mini DV Camera

SS

When using software video editors to transfer data from a mini DV camera,
what is the file format of the stored data? Do different software packages
store video in different formats and will some software give better quality
results (which is the best format for archiving video)? I have hours of
tapes i wish to put on DVD and want the best quality - what do you
recommend?

Thanks

Rgr

SS wrote:
> When using software video editors to transfer data from a mini DV camera,
> what is the file format of the stored data? Do different software packages
> store video in different formats and will some software give better quality
> results (which is the best format for archiving video)? I have hours of
> tapes i wish to put on DVD and want the best quality - what do you
> recommend?

The native format for captured Mini DV is .avi. And if you keep it .avi,
the quality stays highest, but for burning as a DVD (i.e. a disk that
you pop into any DVD player and it works) it'll get compressed to .mp2
but with a .vob extension. If you store the original .avi file as a data
file on a DVD the quality remains the same but the file sizes can be
huge. For most folks the .vob option is good enough.

There are many editing programs out there. If you're really into this
I'd suggest getting Vegas Video, even an older version from eBay (v4 or
later) would be good. It's not just good, it's damn good and gives you
lots of options. And if you get DVD Architect to go with it, it makes
burning DVDs easy.