Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > jar signing

jar signing

Roedy Green

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 04:37:26 -0800 (PST), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/obfuscator.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Roedy Green

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 04:37:26 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed)

> jobfoscate
>command.

I had never heard of jobfuscate before. I googled it.

http://www.duckware.com/jobfuscate/index.html

it is an obfuscator than seems to work on class files rather than
complete jars as is traditional. It renames class files.

I would just build the jar as before just using the renamed file.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ant.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jarexe.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jarsigner.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Roedy Green

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:00:30 GMT, EJP
someone who said :

>> Signing means nobody else can modify your
>> jar without losing your signature.

>That's not quite right. Your original signature will remain, but it will
>no longer correspond with the signature generated at verification time
>for any changed files. So the verification step will fail.

In other words the jar will no longer be signed.

Using an analogy, digitally signing is like sealing with sealing wax
and your signet ring. If somebody tampers, the wax seal will be
broken.

The term "sealing" is often used in computing still to mean some way
of freezing a collection from changes.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Roedy Green

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:35:30 GMT, Roedy Green

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/seal.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

EJP

Roedy Green wrote:
> In other words the jar will no longer be signed.

No, in other words the signature will no longer be *valid*.