Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hybernate in xp x64

Hybernate in xp x64

stuartray

Hi, I was wanting to get my win xp x64 OS to hybernate, but when I press the
shift key, hybernate does not show up on the shutdown screen. How do I get xp
x64 to hybernate? I have sp2 installed and all the other current updates.
Thanks
--
Stuart

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
option. You should be able to force it by using the shutdown command line:

shutdown /h

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"stuartray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I was wanting to get my win xp x64 OS to hybernate, but when I press
> the
> shift key, hybernate does not show up on the shutdown screen. How do I get
> xp
> x64 to hybernate? I have sp2 installed and all the other current updates.
> Thanks
> --
> Stuart

Colin Barnhorst

Now there's an idea, Charlie. Instead of counting sheep tonight I think
I'll try repeating "shutdown /h" a hundred times.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
> option. You should be able to force it by using the shutdown command line:
>
> shutdown /h
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "stuartray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I was wanting to get my win xp x64 OS to hybernate, but when I press
>> the
>> shift key, hybernate does not show up on the shutdown screen. How do I
>> get xp
>> x64 to hybernate? I have sp2 installed and all the other current updates.
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Stuart

DP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
> option.

Just curious: How come?

Colin Barnhorst

The size of the hibernate file, I assume.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:urr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
>> option.

> Just curious: How come?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Correct.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The size of the hibernate file, I assume.
>
> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:urr$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
>>> option.

>> Just curious: How come?

Charlie Russel - MVP

<grin>

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now there's an idea, Charlie. Instead of counting sheep tonight I think
> I'll try repeating "shutdown /h" a hundred times.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
>> option. You should be able to force it by using the shutdown command
>> line:
>>
>> shutdown /h
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "stuartray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, I was wanting to get my win xp x64 OS to hybernate, but when I press
>>> the
>>> shift key, hybernate does not show up on the shutdown screen. How do I
>>> get xp
>>> x64 to hybernate? I have sp2 installed and all the other current
>>> updates.
>>> Thanks
>>> --
>>> Stuart

Homer J. Simpson

> If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
> option. You should be able to force it by using the shutdown command line:

I vaguely remember that my PC wouldn't always hibernate when I first doubled
my RAM from 1 to 2GB, but that eventually went away after a couple of
hotfixes--that was probably well over a year and a half ago, if not more,
and I put my machine into hibernation daily without any issue.

Colin Barnhorst

Can you imagine the potential size of the hibernate file on a system with
8GB of ram and a quad SLI video board setup? Do the math. Not pretty.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
>> option. You should be able to force it by using the shutdown command
>> line:

> I vaguely remember that my PC wouldn't always hibernate when I first
> doubled my RAM from 1 to 2GB, but that eventually went away after a couple
> of hotfixes--that was probably well over a year and a half ago, if not
> more, and I put my machine into hibernation daily without any issue.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes. not at all.

It's interesting. I can force hibernation on my Ferrari. And every once in a
while it decides to offer hibernation as an option in the gui. But usually
goes away these days. It used to be consistenly available as an option. I'm
not sure what has changed. But since it's easier and faster for me to type
shutdown /h that to click a few times to find out that hibernate isn't
offered, I no longer even think about it. I just do it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...