Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vinyl to CD query

Vinyl to CD query

Netty

I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
program to use.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Netty

Bert Hyman

In news:fk7186$14h$(E-Mail Removed) "Netty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
> would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what
> is the best program to use.

If your stereo amp has a "line out" or "preamp out" use that and connect
it to the "line in" of your PC's sound card. Otherwise, you might be
able to use the "headphone out" so long as you're careful with the
volume levels.

As to software, you'll have to get suggestions from other folks. I use
Nero's "Wave Editor", but that's just because I have it; I wouldn't have
gone out and bought it for that purpose.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

nobody >

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:fk7186$14h$(E-Mail Removed) "Netty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
>> would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what
>> is the best program to use.

> If your stereo amp has a "line out" or "preamp out" use that and connect
> it to the "line in" of your PC's sound card. Otherwise, you might be
> able to use the "headphone out" so long as you're careful with the
> volume levels.
>
> As to software, you'll have to get suggestions from other folks. I use
> Nero's "Wave Editor", but that's just because I have it; I wouldn't have
> gone out and bought it for that purpose.

From Bert's post.. avoid using the "preamp out" jacks as the level is
controlled by the volume control, same as the "headphone out" jack.

Those will work, but finding a volume level that works properly for an
input to your sound card's "line in" jack can be tricky. You will
probably have to experiment a while to avoid distortion and/or noise.

If the level is too high ("hot"), you get distortion.
Too low ("down"), you get noise.

Try Blaze Audio for software (and hardware if needed). I haven't used
their stuff but know people who have and are very happy with it. They do
bundles quite often.

http://www.blazeaudio.com/products/recordtocd.html

Whiskers

On 2007-12-17, Netty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
> have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
> program to use.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Netty

I've seen lots of adverts in the leaflets 'stuffed' into 'Radio Times' etc
over the past year or so, for turntables designed for just this job, using
a USB connection, and probably coming with their own Windows software.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Ish

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:37:39 +0000, Netty wrote:

> I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
> have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
> program to use.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Netty

Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.
It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other
operating systems.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

PeeCee

"Netty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fk7186$14h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
>have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
>program to use.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Netty

Netty

You want a cord that has a 3.5mm stereo plug one end and (usually) two RCA
audio plugs the other.

Plug the RCA's into your Stereo's Line out sockets Red is usually right and
white or black Left
Plug the 3.5mm end into the blue 'Line In' socket of your PC's sound card,
usually 'round the back'
'Line' level is a defacto standard so you should not have any worrries about
to loud or to quiet.

Download and install Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ it is
completely free. Take the 1.2.6 version for stability.
Set it to stereo mode (Edit, Preferences, Channels)
Start the music on your stereo
Click the Record button on Audacity
You should see the music waveform showing up in Audacity as the music is
recorded.
When music stops click stop on Audacity. (either per track or per side)
Then File Export as Wave to save the music to your hard drive, make sure you
type in a suitable name.
When all tracks have been saved to your hard drive open your burning program
and use the 'make a music CD'option
The files to burn are the files you saved from Audacity.

Note the assumption is your PC is running fairly normally and is reasonably
modern (<5/6 years old)
Lack of sound or distorted recording is often due to misconfiguration of the
'Sounds and Audio Devices' in Control Panel.
To save wasting CDR's while you leard the ropes use a CDRW and erase it
before each burning session.

As you get to grips with the techniques involved you may like to explore the
finer points of Vinyl to CD conversion:
Silencing disk noise between tracks.
Cutting out clicks.
Normalising
Making your own compilations etc
All of which can be done with Audacity.

Just keep in mind a CD can hold 74 minutes of music or slightly more if you
use a 700MB CDR.
Many older 'LP's' can be tweaked to get two LP's onto one CD by minimising
inter track silence and trimming out unpopular tracks.

On the other hand if you wish to play the CD's in an MP3 capable player:
Export your recorded music from Audacity as MP3's making sure your PC has
the Lame MP3 encoded loaded.
Instructions here
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...all&i=lame-mp3
Your should be able to get up to 10 times the music onto a CD using 128bit
MP3's

Best Luck
Paul.

dadiOH

Netty wrote:
> I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
> would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or
> what is the best program to use.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Netty

All you need to know, see sig.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Susan Bugher

dadiOH wrote:
> Netty wrote:
>
>>I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
>>would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or
>>what is the best program to use.

> All you need to know, see sig.

Tis true. Highly recommended.

http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/dadiOH-light.htm
<q>
So what is "dadiOH's dandies" anyway?

Just a "help" file...with information about how to record vinyl and
cassettes to your computer...how to turn them into MP3s...how to make
them into audio CDs to play on any CD player or into "MP3" CDs that will
play on any computer or hardware device capable of decoding them.

It gives you all the basic information you need and it includes links to
websites that will give you more advanced information. It also includes
links to numerous programs to help you do these things. There are a
number of links to non-music programs as well.
</q>

Recording from vinyl is a time consuming operation -> create wave files
and archive them so you don't have to do that step more than once.
(Converting from wave to other formats is a relatively quick operation.)

Susan

willshak

on 12/17/2007 6:37 PM Netty said the following:
> I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
> would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what
> is the best program to use.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Netty

I just got a catalog from Brookstone in the mail last week with the very
item you may need. $150.
It is a stereo player with a USB output to convert LP to MP3 and load to
your computer or CDs..
I was contemplating getting one for myself. Here it is on their site.
http://www.brookstone.com/store/thum...101&sid=110108
On that same page for the same price is a cassette converter.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Netty

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fk88o2$tev$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Netty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fk7186$14h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
>>have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
>>program to use.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Netty

> Netty
>
> You want a cord that has a 3.5mm stereo plug one end and (usually) two RCA
> audio plugs the other.
>
> Plug the RCA's into your Stereo's Line out sockets Red is usually right
> and white or black Left
> Plug the 3.5mm end into the blue 'Line In' socket of your PC's sound card,
> usually 'round the back'
> 'Line' level is a defacto standard so you should not have any worrries
> about to loud or to quiet.
>
> Download and install Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ it is
> completely free. Take the 1.2.6 version for stability.
> Set it to stereo mode (Edit, Preferences, Channels)
> Start the music on your stereo
> Click the Record button on Audacity
> You should see the music waveform showing up in Audacity as the music is
> recorded.
> When music stops click stop on Audacity. (either per track or per side)
> Then File Export as Wave to save the music to your hard drive, make sure
> you type in a suitable name.
> When all tracks have been saved to your hard drive open your burning
> program and use the 'make a music CD'option
> The files to burn are the files you saved from Audacity.
>
> Note the assumption is your PC is running fairly normally and is
> reasonably modern (<5/6 years old)
> Lack of sound or distorted recording is often due to misconfiguration of
> the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' in Control Panel.
> To save wasting CDR's while you leard the ropes use a CDRW and erase it
> before each burning session.
>
> As you get to grips with the techniques involved you may like to explore
> the finer points of Vinyl to CD conversion:
> Silencing disk noise between tracks.
> Cutting out clicks.
> Normalising
> Making your own compilations etc
> All of which can be done with Audacity.
>
> Just keep in mind a CD can hold 74 minutes of music or slightly more if
> you use a 700MB CDR.
> Many older 'LP's' can be tweaked to get two LP's onto one CD by minimising
> inter track silence and trimming out unpopular tracks.
>
> On the other hand if you wish to play the CD's in an MP3 capable player:
> Export your recorded music from Audacity as MP3's making sure your PC has
> the Lame MP3 encoded loaded.
> Instructions here
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...all&i=lame-mp3
> Your should be able to get up to 10 times the music onto a CD using 128bit
> MP3's
>

> Best Luck
> Paul.

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a go once I've got the right cable.

netty

Best software for archiving Vinyl Record collection? ]v[etaphoid Computer Support 4 01-09-2008 10:09 AM
Re: Vinyl to LP..Software for?? Fred Computer Support 0 07-25-2005 11:16 AM
Vinyl to C.d. Freddy Computer Support 25 11-25-2004 05:10 AM
recording from vinyl j###### Computer Support 4 06-06-2004 11:11 PM
recording from vinyl j###### Computer Support 6 06-01-2004 12:51 AM

Advertisments