Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > scanning old negs

scanning old negs

eugene

Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the solution. I have just
been given three very old b/w negatives. They aren't numbered or identified
in any way so, which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
side or the glossy side?

James Silverton

eugene wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:09:10 -0000:

e> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
e> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
e> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way so,
e> which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
e> side or the glossy side?

You don't say what size negatives you are working with but, if
you a have scanner like mine that shines light thro the
negative, I think you would want the sensor to be as close to
the emulsion as possible and that would be the "silvery" side
against the scanner glass.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

eugene

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> eugene wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:09:10 -0000:
>
> e> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
> e> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
> e> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way so,
> e> which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
> e> side or the glossy side?
>
> You don't say what size negatives you are working with but, if you a have
> scanner like mine that shines light thro the negative, I think you would
> want the sensor to be as close to the emulsion as possible and that would
> be the "silvery" side against the scanner glass.
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

thanks James. ironic getting an answer from someone with "silver" in their
name

James Silverton

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:mLv9j.23689$D44.5321@trnddc04...
>> eugene wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:09:10 -0000:
>>
>> e> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
>> e> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
>> e> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way
>> so,
>> e> which side should be facing down in my scanner? The
>> silvery
>> e> side or the glossy side?
>>
>> You don't say what size negatives you are working with but,
>> if you a have scanner like mine that shines light thro the
>> negative, I think you would want the sensor to be as close
>> to the emulsion as possible and that would be the "silvery"
>> side against the scanner glass.
>>

>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> thanks James. ironic getting an answer from someone with
> "silver" in their name

I can't blame heredity for my answer (I hope it's right!)
According to my father who was interested in such things, my
name is a quite prosaic town name coming from a Celtic one (some
place in Devon, England) with no connection to the metal.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Addenuff

Hi, James ....
...... Silverton, small(ish) village midway between Exeter and Tiverton in
Devon, UK.
Old English derivation but not Celtic.....!
Nice place but growing rapidly, was much nicer once but is rapidly getting
to a place to pass through rather than loiter in!
50 48'60 N 003 29'00 W
About 15 miles from me!
Cheers,
DP

> "eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> eugene wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:09:10 -0000:
>>>
>>> e> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
>>> e> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
>>> e> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way so,
>>> e> which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
>>> e> side or the glossy side?
>>>
>>> You don't say what size negatives you are working with but, if you a
>>> have scanner like mine that shines light thro the negative, I think you
>>> would want the sensor to be as close to the emulsion as possible and
>>> that would be the "silvery" side against the scanner glass.
>>>

>>> James Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland
>>>
>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>> thanks James. ironic getting an answer from someone with "silver" in
>> their name

> I can't blame heredity for my answer (I hope it's right!) According to my
> father who was interested in such things, my name is a quite prosaic town
> name coming from a Celtic one (some place in Devon, England) with no
> connection to the metal.
>

> --
> Jim Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

tomm42

On Dec 17, 9:09 am, "eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the solution. I have just
> been given three very old b/w negatives. They aren't numbered or identified
> in any way so, which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
> side or the glossy side?

The answer is "depends on the scanner" for my Minolta Scan Multi at
home, the emulsion side (silvery) goes down, on the Epson V700 I have
at work the emulsion side goes up.

Tom

Andrew Koenig

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> You don't say what size negatives you are working with but, if you a have
> scanner like mine that shines light thro the negative, I think you would
> want the sensor to be as close to the emulsion as possible and that would
> be the "silvery" side against the scanner glass.

I'm going to argue the opposite way.

If you scan an image on paper, the inage faces down. That means that you
want the image to be in an orientation that looks correct when you are
looking up at it.

For film, that orientation is with the emulsion side *up*. If you want to
scan with the emulsion side down for some reason, you will want to reverse
the image digitally after scanning.

Dave Martindale

"Andrew Koenig" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I'm going to argue the opposite way.

>If you scan an image on paper, the inage faces down. That means that you
>want the image to be in an orientation that looks correct when you are
>looking up at it.

>For film, that orientation is with the emulsion side *up*. If you want to
>scan with the emulsion side down for some reason, you will want to reverse
>the image digitally after scanning.

True enough. However, mirror-imaging a digital image is trivial, and
you're likely to get a slightly better quality scan if the emulsion
isn't in the imaging light path. So scanning emulsion down makes sense,
even if that does mean you need to mirror the image afterwards.

Dave

James Silverton

tomm42 wrote on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 05:48:16 -0800 (PST):

t> On Dec 17, 9:09 am, "eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
??>> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
??>> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
??>> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way
??>> so, which side should be facing down in my scanner? The
??>> silvery side or the glossy side?

t> The answer is "depends on the scanner" for my Minolta Scan
t> Multi at home, the emulsion side (silvery) goes down, on the
t> Epson V700 I have at work the emulsion side goes up.

That answer is possibly correct but it depends on where is the
light source and thus whether reflection or transmission is
being used. My scanner has the source behind the slide or
negative when in that mode. I don't think reflection would work
at all well for a photographic negative but I'll admit I've only
used my own scanner. I can't remember whether or not I needed to
mirror the result. AFAIR, I did not when I scanned a few color
negatives but it was a few years ago even if it should be
trivial for the manufacturer to program reversal in negative
mode.