Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WIN2K3 Enterprise Cluster & FireWire ??

WIN2K3 Enterprise Cluster & FireWire ??

w2k3e_install

Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

Theo

As far as I know you cannot have a single drive attached to
two different computers at the same time. You may want to
consider Network Attached Storage (NAS) for your situation.

w2k3e_install wrote:
> Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
> shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

w2k3e_install

How much may be the cost of implementing with NAS? Can you please refer any
paper/document on this?
My system isn't a production system. I am doing this for my personal
experience & pleasure. This FireWire technology worked fine with Linux/Oracle
RAC and thought might work with WIN2K3 EE also. Does anybody know a cheapest
way to implement WIN2K3 Cluster technology?
Thanks.
"Theo" wrote:

> As far as I know you cannot have a single drive attached to
> two different computers at the same time. You may want to
> consider Network Attached Storage (NAS) for your situation.
>

> w2k3e_install wrote:
> > Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
> > shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

The easiest way to implement clustering on a Server 2k3 system for testing
purposes (non-production) is to use Virtual Server and create your VMs with
SCSI drives. There's a useful whitepaper on the subject here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/cvs2005.mspx

Windows will not support using firewire for this.
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"w2k3e_install" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How much may be the cost of implementing with NAS? Can you please refer
> any
> paper/document on this?
> My system isn't a production system. I am doing this for my personal
> experience & pleasure. This FireWire technology worked fine with
> Linux/Oracle
> RAC and thought might work with WIN2K3 EE also. Does anybody know a
> cheapest
> way to implement WIN2K3 Cluster technology?
> Thanks.
> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> As far as I know you cannot have a single drive attached to
>> two different computers at the same time. You may want to
>> consider Network Attached Storage (NAS) for your situation.
>>

>> w2k3e_install wrote:
>> > Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
>> > shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

w2k3e_install

Thanks for the tips but my plan is to use both the PCs. So, I want to avoid
VMWare. How about a Cheap NAS & WIN2K3 Majority Node Set (that will eliminate
Shared Disk for the Qurum disk)? Anybody has done it?
Thanks.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The easiest way to implement clustering on a Server 2k3 system for testing
> purposes (non-production) is to use Virtual Server and create your VMs with
> SCSI drives. There's a useful whitepaper on the subject here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/cvs2005.mspx
>
> Windows will not support using firewire for this.
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "w2k3e_install" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How much may be the cost of implementing with NAS? Can you please refer
> > any
> > paper/document on this?
> > My system isn't a production system. I am doing this for my personal
> > experience & pleasure. This FireWire technology worked fine with
> > Linux/Oracle
> > RAC and thought might work with WIN2K3 EE also. Does anybody know a
> > cheapest
> > way to implement WIN2K3 Cluster technology?
> > Thanks.
> > "Theo" wrote:
> >
> >> As far as I know you cannot have a single drive attached to
> >> two different computers at the same time. You may want to
> >> consider Network Attached Storage (NAS) for your situation.

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:53:06 -0800, w2k3e_install
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
>shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

You can connect it to one computer, and share it via Ethernet

jud

w2k3e_install

Can you please tell how, specifically how this IDE device may be considered
as SCSI or iSCSI to WIN2K3?
Thanks.

"Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:53:06 -0800, w2k3e_install
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
> >shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

> You can connect it to one computer, and share it via Ethernet
>
> jud

Jud Hendrix

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:40:00 -0800, w2k3e_install
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can you please tell how, specifically how this IDE device may be considered
>as SCSI or iSCSI to WIN2K3?

I leave the answer to that one, to one of the more qualified technical
wizzards around here

jud