Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW VS JPEG

RAW VS JPEG

nick

Heres a thought for all you people thinking that you should switch to RAW.
My close friend who is a keen photographer always works with raw. I work
with JPEG and think I'm generally careless and sloppy with my work. I'm
quite jealous of his more scientific approach. After not having seen him for
6 months I went round for a visit and found him quite despondent about his
photography. He had hundreds of raw images and no time to process them.
Now he avoids taking more photos until what he calls his "workload" is done.
"workload" meaning processing his raw images.

I'm still whizzing around taking loads of photos and enjoying my
photography... Just how many people that work with raw will do so for more
than 6 months before having had enough of spending endless nights in front
of a computer fidling around with raw images that did'nt need any fiddling
done to them?

John McWilliams

nick wrote:
> Heres a thought for all you people thinking that you should switch to RAW.
> My close friend who is a keen photographer always works with raw. I work

C'mon, "nick" . This is so unoriginal; it's been done many times at
first by clever Trolls, years later, by simpletons.

You're not a simpleton, are you?

--
lsmft

Mardon

John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> nick wrote:
>> Heres a thought for all you people thinking that you should switch to
>> RAW. My close friend who is a keen photographer always works with
>> raw. I work

> C'mon, "nick" . This is so unoriginal; it's been done many times at
> first by clever Trolls, years later, by simpletons.
> You're not a simpleton, are you?

I agree it sure sounds like a troll but I'll answer anyway. I started
shooting RAW in 2002 with a Canon G2. Then went to RAW with a 20D and now
shooting RAW with a 1DIII. I detest shooting jpeg since I have to get
everything right at shutter-release time. I'd rather set the white-balance
and level my horizons during PPing while sitting in a warm comfortable
chair than do it out in the freezing cold where I often shoot. For
example, the helicopter rappelling training I shot this Saturday was all
shot in RAW and post-processed in CS3. I shot it Saturday and I had the
images all finished and posted to the web before supper time Sunday. Post
processing RAW is not that big of a deal.

See: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/galleries/p...jrfd/training/

Rita Berkowitz

Mardon wrote:

> I agree it sure sounds like a troll but I'll answer anyway. I started
> shooting RAW in 2002 with a Canon G2. Then went to RAW with a 20D
> and now shooting RAW with a 1DIII. I detest shooting jpeg since I
> have to get everything right at shutter-release time. I'd rather set
> the white-balance and level my horizons during PPing while sitting in
> a warm comfortable chair than do it out in the freezing cold where I
> often shoot. For example, the helicopter rappelling training I shot
> this Saturday was all shot in RAW and post-processed in CS3. I shot
> it Saturday and I had the images all finished and posted to the web
> before supper time Sunday. Post processing RAW is not that big of a
> deal.

Two things. No disrespect meant. One, the Mk III is a highly capable
camera that can nail it just about perfect every time when shooting JPG. If
you don't believe me put RAW on CF and JPG on SD and compare the two. Two,
while these snaps are nice, they aren't totally off the wall overly
demanding of equipment and/or skill. To me, for these, it is a total waste
of time post processing them. Time is money; you got a sweet $4,000 dSLR
that is capable of outstanding results shooting in any mode. It's a waste
of time wasting time for the sake of wasting time. Nice pics and it looks
like you had a great time shooting the event. Thanks for posting them.

Rita

Mardon

Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> total waste of time post processing them. Time is money

Not for me. I'm retired. Computers and cameras are my fun time.

David J. Littleboy

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>
>> total waste of time post processing them. Time is money

> Not for me. I'm retired. Computers and cameras are my fun time.

Better "wasting" time on the keepers after the fact than not getting any
keepers at all because you were too busy figuring out the white balance.

I guess that's why Rita has never shown us a single photo worth looking at;
s/he doesn't get any keepers. But all the rejects have great white balance.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Rita Berkowitz

Mardon wrote:

>> total waste of time post processing them. Time is money

> Not for me. I'm retired. Computers and cameras are my fun time.

That changes everything and explains a lot. Anyway, keep busy and enjoy
yourself. Have fun with the old Mk III.

Rita

ray

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:24:07 +0000, nick wrote:

> Heres a thought for all you people thinking that you should switch to RAW.
> My close friend who is a keen photographer always works with raw. I work
> with JPEG and think I'm generally careless and sloppy with my work. I'm
> quite jealous of his more scientific approach. After not having seen him for
> 6 months I went round for a visit and found him quite despondent about his
> photography. He had hundreds of raw images and no time to process them.
> Now he avoids taking more photos until what he calls his "workload" is done.
> "workload" meaning processing his raw images.
>
> I'm still whizzing around taking loads of photos and enjoying my
> photography... Just how many people that work with raw will do so for more
> than 6 months before having had enough of spending endless nights in front
> of a computer fidling around with raw images that did'nt need any fiddling
> done to them?

He may not know it, but it is a relatively trivial job to do batch
conversions of all the raw files to jpeg. I routinely do that to see how
many of them I want to fiddle with. And when I do start processing, I can
run them all through ufraw rather rapidly making basic changes to exposure
etc.

Matt Ion

Mardon wrote:
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> nick wrote:
>>> Heres a thought for all you people thinking that you should switch to
>>> RAW. My close friend who is a keen photographer always works with
>>> raw. I work

>> C'mon, "nick" . This is so unoriginal; it's been done many times at
>> first by clever Trolls, years later, by simpletons.
>> You're not a simpleton, are you?

> I agree it sure sounds like a troll but I'll answer anyway. I started
> shooting RAW in 2002 with a Canon G2. Then went to RAW with a 20D and now
> shooting RAW with a 1DIII. I detest shooting jpeg since I have to get
> everything right at shutter-release time. I'd rather set the white-balance
> and level my horizons during PPing while sitting in a warm comfortable
> chair than do it out in the freezing cold where I often shoot. For
> example, the helicopter rappelling training I shot this Saturday was all
> shot in RAW and post-processed in CS3. I shot it Saturday and I had the
> images all finished and posted to the web before supper time Sunday. Post
> processing RAW is not that big of a deal.
>
> See: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/galleries/p...jrfd/training/

The solution is simple: shoot RAW with embedded large/fine JPEG. Most
viewers will allow you to work with just the JPEG, which speeds things
up, and you still have the RAW available if you need to do any
high-level tweaking.

Seriously, some people just have to make things SO complicated.

BF

nick wrote:
> Heres a thought for all you people thinking that you should switch to RAW.
> My close friend who is a keen photographer always works with raw. I work
> with JPEG and think I'm generally careless and sloppy with my work. I'm
> quite jealous of his more scientific approach. After not having seen him for
> 6 months I went round for a visit and found him quite despondent about his
> photography. He had hundreds of raw images and no time to process them.
> Now he avoids taking more photos until what he calls his "workload" is done.
> "workload" meaning processing his raw images.
>
> I'm still whizzing around taking loads of photos and enjoying my
> photography... Just how many people that work with raw will do so for more
> than 6 months before having had enough of spending endless nights in front
> of a computer fidling around with raw images that did'nt need any fiddling
> done to them?

I only shoot RAW. I consider myself a good amateur photographer. If I
can get professional results and concentrated on getting a great shot
instead of exposure, white balance, etc., why would I not shoot RAW. I
know the pros don't like to hear that but I shot my son's wedding and
after processing the RAW images I got professional results and it didn't
cost my son and daughter-in-law anything. Yes it took some time but the
results were well worth the effort.