Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Useless Firefox Addons

Useless Firefox Addons

dannydee@nospammm.com

I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
all. What's the point?

The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
time that some idiot posted to get attention.

dino

> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
> all. What's the point?
>
> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
> time that some idiot posted to get attention.

blah, blah, blah, ever consider that you may have done something wrong!

Try posting the links here and asking for feedback before slagging off
some unknown developer!

Tony Raven

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
> all. What's the point?
>
> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
> time that some idiot posted to get attention.

Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
..zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.

NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
working when an upgrade is released.

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time,
Tony Raven wrote:

>Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
>on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
>in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
>higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
>you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
>Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
>Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
>.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
>have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
>current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
>back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.

But that....that's CHEATING!

HEY EVERYBODY, THIS GUY IS A CHEATER! A CHEATER!!

**
Captain Infinity
..."There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!" --Comic Book Guy

dannydee@nospammm.com

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:54:56 -0000, Tony Raven
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
>> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
>> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
>> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
>> all. What's the point?
>>
>> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
>> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
>> time that some idiot posted to get attention.
>>

>Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
>on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
>in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
>higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
>you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
>Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
>Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
>.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
>have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
>current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
>back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.
>
>NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
>working when an upgrade is released.

Thanks for the info. I'll do that next time. I do always install
them according to the instructions, although some are very lacking in
instructions. I've had 2 or 4 recently where after they are
installed, there is nothing on the screen to activate or use them.
Unfortunately I can not say the names of them. If they dont work, I
just remove them. Dont have time for messing with garbage.

I never knew that xpi was actually a zip. I always wondered what xpi
meant.

Thanks

Tony Raven

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:54:56 -0000, Tony Raven
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
> >> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
> >> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
> >> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
> >> all. What's the point?
> >>
> >> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
> >> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
> >> time that some idiot posted to get attention.
> >>

> >Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
> >on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
> >in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
> >higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
> >you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
> >Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
> >Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
> >.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
> >have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
> >current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
> >back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.
> >
> >NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
> >working when an upgrade is released.

> Thanks for the info. I'll do that next time. I do always install
> them according to the instructions, although some are very lacking in
> instructions. I've had 2 or 4 recently where after they are
> installed, there is nothing on the screen to activate or use them.
> Unfortunately I can not say the names of them. If they dont work, I
> just remove them. Dont have time for messing with garbage.

Have you gone to the extensions folder to check they are installed and
enabled? Tools/Add-ons/Extensions

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

Leonidas Jones

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
> all. What's the point?
>
> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
> time that some idiot posted to get attention.

Extensions listed on addons.mozilla.org are indeed tested, though one
can guarantee an extension. If you choose to install extensions frm
another source, you may get burned.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

John Thompson

On 2007-12-16, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
> all. What's the point?
>
> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
> time that some idiot posted to get attention.

It's difficult to know since you don't mention which specific Add-Ons
gave you trouble, what specific error messages (if any) appeared when
you tried to install or use them, what version of Firefox you're using,
or what platform you're running them on.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

dannydee@nospammm.com

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:43:29 -0000, Tony Raven
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:54:56 -0000, Tony Raven
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >(E-Mail Removed) says...

>> >Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
>> >on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
>> >in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
>> >higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
>> >you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
>> >Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
>> >Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
>> >.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
>> >have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
>> >current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
>> >back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.
>> >
>> >NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
>> >working when an upgrade is released.

>> Thanks for the info. I'll do that next time. I do always install
>> them according to the instructions, although some are very lacking in
>> instructions. I've had 2 or 4 recently where after they are
>> installed, there is nothing on the screen to activate or use them.
>> Unfortunately I can not say the names of them. If they dont work, I
>> just remove them. Dont have time for messing with garbage.
>>

>Have you gone to the extensions folder to check they are installed and
>enabled? Tools/Add-ons/Extensions

Yes, I did and they were installed and enabled. I restarted FF and
checked. THere was nothing created to click on ot use them. I looked
in the FF toolbars and status bars, and in Tools, and I set the
options on the programs that had them.

Justin

(E-Mail Removed) wrote on [Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:01:53 -0600]:
> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
> all. What's the point?

Did you consider that maybe you couldn't figure out how to use them?

Some just add menu options, some just need options set in the add-ons
menu, some just work without doing anything.

A clue as to any you are talking about might get you some helpful
answers, otherwise everyone else is left to guess at what extensions may
not be working for you, or that are smarter than you.