Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DivX software suggestions?

DivX software suggestions?

nmorson@googlemail.com

Apologies if I'm in the wrong area - just point me in the right
direction please

DivX software suggestions? I'm trying to convert DVD rips to DivX and
Xvid etc. and maintain the AC3 audio. I've got the DivX bundle and
tried various other software but how do I know whether the AC3 track
has been preserved?

I'm unable to play back DivX on my DVD player at the moment and am
looking to invest in a media streamer. Hence I need to make sure my
DivX (or other codec) rips contain the AC3 track. Most of the software
I've tried so far (DivX bundle, Free DVD Ripper, Simple DivX and
AutoGK) show the AC3 track but I have no way of knowing if it's still
there after the rip

Any help much appreciated - Bear

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apologies if I'm in the wrong area - just point me in the right
> direction please
>
> DivX software suggestions? I'm trying to convert DVD rips to DivX and
> Xvid etc. and maintain the AC3 audio. I've got the DivX bundle and
> tried various other software but how do I know whether the AC3 track
> has been preserved?
>
> I'm unable to play back DivX on my DVD player at the moment and am
> looking to invest in a media streamer. Hence I need to make sure my
> DivX (or other codec) rips contain the AC3 track. Most of the software
> I've tried so far (DivX bundle, Free DVD Ripper, Simple DivX and
> AutoGK) show the AC3 track but I have no way of knowing if it's still
> there after the rip
>
> Any help much appreciated - Bear

TMPGenc DVD Author 3 w/Divx

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html

It will scan your DVD and give you the option of which (or all) chapters to
convert.
You can then set up your Divx file with menus, chapters etc, just like a
DVD.

Great program.

I just checked and Dolby Digital AC3 is an option for Divx encoding.

Netmask

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apologies if I'm in the wrong area - just point me in the right
> direction please
>
> DivX software suggestions? I'm trying to convert DVD rips to DivX and
> Xvid etc. and maintain the AC3 audio. I've got the DivX bundle and
> tried various other software but how do I know whether the AC3 track
> has been preserved?
>
> I'm unable to play back DivX on my DVD player at the moment and am
> looking to invest in a media streamer. Hence I need to make sure my
> DivX (or other codec) rips contain the AC3 track. Most of the software
> I've tried so far (DivX bundle, Free DVD Ripper, Simple DivX and
> AutoGK) show the AC3 track but I have no way of knowing if it's still
> there after the rip
>
> Any help much appreciated - Bear

AutoGk will do it http://www.autogk.me.uk/ and it's free.

Program features support of:
- DVD/VOBs(unencrypted from hdd), MPEG2, MPEG1, transport streams (including
multi-program ones) and AVI/DV input sources
- XviD or DivX(5/6) output formats
- AC3, DTS, PCM, MPA input audio tracks
- AC3, DTS, MPA, CBR/VBR MP3 output audio tracks
- two audio tracks in AVI
- external (vobsub) or internal (burnt-in) subtitles (with support of forced
subs)
- HDTV input/output resolutions(upto 1920x***) and frame rates (50/60fps)
- automatic crop and resize based on compressibility of the source to
achieve best results
- automatic detection of input source: PAL, NTSC, FILM, HYBRID
- automatic deinterlacer and IVTC
- automatic split into CD-sized chunks for main video and external subs

Jeff

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:d9c5dd06-586f-4c75-ad91-
(E-Mail Removed):

> Apologies if I'm in the wrong area - just point me in the right
> direction please
>
> DivX software suggestions? I'm trying to convert DVD rips to DivX and
> Xvid etc. and maintain the AC3 audio. I've got the DivX bundle and
> tried various other software but how do I know whether the AC3 track
> has been preserved?
>
> I'm unable to play back DivX on my DVD player at the moment and am
> looking to invest in a media streamer. Hence I need to make sure my
> DivX (or other codec) rips contain the AC3 track. Most of the software
> I've tried so far (DivX bundle, Free DVD Ripper, Simple DivX and
> AutoGK) show the AC3 track but I have no way of knowing if it's still
> there after the rip
>
> Any help much appreciated - Bear

Use GSpot to check the avi file after ripping. It will tell you if the
audio track is AC3.

nmorson@googlemail.com

Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!

I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
crashes under Vista.

Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder

Bear

nmorson@googlemail.com

On Dec 16, 2:47 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!
>
> I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
> but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
> Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
> crashes under Vista.
>
> Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
> old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
> format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder
>
> Bear

Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
configurable options for quality other than setting the target size. I
have a copy of AutoGK but again this does not allow me to modify the
DivX codec for quality or speed.

Back to the drawing board...

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
> DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
> configurable options for quality other than setting the target size.

All of Divx's quality settings are accesible including using their built in
'Home Theater' setting if you so choose.
Setting exact bitrate, biderectional coding, keyframe, noise filter, 2
pass, 1pass etc is all there.

You can also choose mpeg1, mpeg2, or ac3 audio, set subtitles, or create
menus for the Divx file.

nmorson@googlemail.com

On Dec 16, 6:34 pm, "Jim" <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
> > DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
> > configurable options for quality other than setting the target size.

> All of Divx's quality settings are accesible including using their built in
> 'Home Theater' setting if you so choose.
> Setting exact bitrate, biderectional coding, keyframe, noise filter, 2
> pass, 1pass etc is all there.
>
> You can also choose mpeg1, mpeg2, or ac3 audio, set subtitles, or create
> menus for the Divx file.

Wow...I missed that under preferences (although for some strange
reason the target size doesn't seem to change according to the
encoding quality). Many thanks ... next time I'll look a little harder!

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1f9d931c-6fa7-4052-965b-
> Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
> DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
> configurable options for quality other than setting the target size. I
> have a copy of AutoGK but again this does not allow me to modify the
> DivX codec for quality or speed.

I sent something similar a few hours ago.. not sure if it will show up
but....

In short, all the Divx settings are available.
You have to dig into the settings menu of the source.
Anything you need to change is there.

nmorson@googlemail.com

On Dec 16, 7:49 pm, "Jim" <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1f9d931c-6fa7-4052-965b-
> > Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
> > DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
> > configurable options for quality other than setting the target size. I
> > have a copy of AutoGK but again this does not allow me to modify the
> > DivX codec for quality or speed.

> I sent something similar a few hours ago.. not sure if it will show up
> but....
>
> In short, all the Divx settings are available.
> You have to dig into the settings menu of the source.
> Anything you need to change is there.

Thanks - now to stump up some cash!