Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Benoit

I got myself into programming late in the summer and have dabbled in
python for the most part in that time, recently beginning work on a
music player. In January, I start my minor in Information
Technology. I'd like to get ahead a bit, however, and over the break
would like to do some reading. I seek your recommendations in the
field of database design basics and network programming, with a bias
towards texts which specifically address Python. By network
programming, I mean fundamental understanding of sockets, TCP/UDP,
right up to HTTP serving, etc. Thanks ahead of time.

Thin Myrna

Benoit wrote:
> I got myself into programming late in the summer and have dabbled in
> python for the most part in that time, recently beginning work on a
> music player. In January, I start my minor in Information
> Technology. I'd like to get ahead a bit, however, and over the break
> would like to do some reading. I seek your recommendations in the
> field of database design basics and network programming, with a bias
> towards texts which specifically address Python. By network
> programming, I mean fundamental understanding of sockets, TCP/UDP,
> right up to HTTP serving, etc. Thanks ahead of time.

Steve Holden's Python Web Programming might be what you are looking for.
It covers all the topics needed to deal with sockets, databases, up to
building complete web apps. One of my books I'd never give away.

HTH
Thin

scripteaze

On Dec 16, 1:47 am, Thin Myrna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Benoit wrote:
> > I got myself into programming late in the summer and have dabbled in
> > python for the most part in that time, recently beginning work on a
> > music player. In January, I start my minor in Information
> > Technology. I'd like to get ahead a bit, however, and over the break
> > would like to do some reading. I seek your recommendations in the
> > field of database design basics and network programming, with a bias
> > towards texts which specifically address Python. By network
> > programming, I mean fundamental understanding of sockets, TCP/UDP,
> > right up to HTTP serving, etc. Thanks ahead of time.

> Steve Holden's Python Web Programming might be what you are looking for.
> It covers all the topics needed to deal with sockets, databases, up to
> building complete web apps. One of my books I'd never give away.
>
> HTH
> Thin

urls
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-socket.html
http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Python/Sockets-in-Python/

books
http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Py.../dp/1590593715

you might also want to read up on twisted, (just for the heck of it)
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/