Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Do you still test in IE 5.x?

Do you still test in IE 5.x?

Mark

Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
dead browser?

Halloway

Mark wrote:
> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
> dead browser?

I can't vouch for the accuracy of these stats but it looks as if there
are still a very few users out there.

I'd be interested to know if there are any users here who continue to
use IE5, whether through choice or necessity.

Jim Moe

On 12/15/07 07:34 am, Mark wrote:
> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
> dead browser?

There are so few IE5 users that it is not worth the effort to
accommodate them. Our site stats do not even list IE5 any more; the usage
is less than 0.01%.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:34:30 GMT
Mark scribed:

> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
> dead browser?

Earlier this month I quit addressing ie 6...

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

J.O. Aho

Mark wrote:
> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
> dead browser?

At work we have dropped more or less all testing with any version of MSIE.

--

//Aho

Jim Carr

J.O. Aho wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
>> dead browser?

> At work we have dropped more or less all testing with any version of MSIE.

Why? Is the usage really that low?

For the sites I manage that draw from a crowd interested in something
other than a software/hardware specific topic, IE6 and IE7 account for
75% or more with IE6 being more popular. Firefox is about 15%.
Mozilla/5x comes in around 7%. Everything else is less than 1%. I also
do a lot of tracking of various ad campaigns on Craigslist, and I get
virtually the same results.

On the sites where the interest includes something computer related, IE7
exceeds IE6, and Firefox sometimes breaks 20%. This is not surprising
from an audience that is more technically oriented.

To answer the OP, IE5 is off the radar as far as I am concerned.

Nick Theodorakis

Mark wrote:
> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
> dead browser?

I don't even have easy access to it anymore. FWIW, my logs are showing
less than 0.1% activity from IE5; moreover, if I happen to notice IE5
hits when looking for something in the raw logs, it always looks
"spider-ish."

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
contact form:

Nik Coughlin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x

No.

> or do you consider it a dead browser?

Yes.

That said, I do test in IE 6, and if it works in IE 6 then it *usually*
works in IE 5.x.

Mark

Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x

> No.
>
>> or do you consider it a dead browser?

> Yes.
>
> That said, I do test in IE 6, and if it works in IE 6 then it *usually*
> works in IE 5.x.

In my experience, most of the problems that are serious enough to
warrant attention result from IE 5.x's non standard box model, so I'm in
the habit of avoiding these problems by never putting explicit width or
height on elements that have padding or borders. This can sometimes mean
inserting extra markup, such as a child div to apply padding to rather
than the parent, but I guess I'll no longer bother if IE 5.x is dead and
buried.