Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > OER and load balancing

OER and load balancing

news.scarlet.be

Hi,

I'll hope there are some people here who are familiar with Cisco OER
(Optimized Edge Routing)

We are planning to implement it on the connections to our 2 ISP's.
I have still some questions:

- When using default routes to the ISP's. I do not understand how OER is
load balancing between the two default routes? Or is this impossible? I have
read that you don't need a full BGP route table exchange when using OER.
- I have found that Cisco OER is supported in 12.3(T. Which feature set
you need? Is it supported in the IP based feature set or do you need some
advanced enterprise feature set?

Diagram:

FW--|
|--Router1(OER Master)---ISP1
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|--Router2(OER)---ISP2
FW--|

ISP connections are 100 BaseTx (limitted to 20 Mbit/s)

Regards,

tom dot lauwereins add ardatis dot com

Merv

OER has an external controller ( read LINUX host) that monitors the
traffic flows using netflow and then injects routes as required to each
OER router under its control to achieve the desired load balancing.

OER only performs outbound load balancing as far as I know.

The technology used is referred to as Router Controllers and there are
a number of companies offering product in this arena.

Diff between load balancing & load sharing palas_123 Cisco 1 12-28-2009 11:32 PM
Has anyone combined OER and GLBP? grpangea Cisco 0 02-21-2008 07:36 PM
OER and router access rob Cisco 0 05-08-2006 02:48 PM
Load Balancing / Load Sharing over parallel paths ciscortp@hotmail.com Cisco 1 11-21-2005 03:57 PM
Cisco OER and NAT kenny Cisco 0 10-13-2005 05:57 PM

Advertisments