Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > lotus nsf to mbox

lotus nsf to mbox

Fabian Braennstroem

Hi,

I am wondering, if anyone tried to convert lotus nsf mails
to a mbox format using python!? It would be nice, if anyone
has an idea, how to do it on a linux machine.

Regards!
Fabian

Jarek Zgoda

Fabian Braennstroem pisze:

> I am wondering, if anyone tried to convert lotus nsf mails
> to a mbox format using python!? It would be nice, if anyone
> has an idea, how to do it on a linux machine.

You can try to read NSF databases using Lotus ActiveX controls. I am
sure I saw an example few years ago.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://zgodowie.org/

Dan Poirier

On Dec 15, 5:18 am, Fabian Braennstroem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am wondering, if anyone tried to convert lotus nsf mails
> to a mbox format using python!? It would be nice, if anyone
> has an idea, how to do it on a linux machine.

I've used jython to access notes databases through the Notes
Java APIs. Though I don't know if the Java APIs are available
on Linux.

Fabian Braennstroem

Hi to both,

Dan Poirier schrieb am 12/15/2007 02:00 PM:
> On Dec 15, 5:18 am, Fabian Braennstroem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am wondering, if anyone tried to convert lotus nsf mails
>> to a mbox format using python!? It would be nice, if anyone
>> has an idea, how to do it on a linux machine.

> I've used jython to access notes databases through the Notes
> Java APIs. Though I don't know if the Java APIs are available
> on Linux.

thanks for your ideas! I actually thought of something like
a python parser, which just converts the nsf structure to an
mbox; could that work!?

Fabian

Brian Munroe

On Dec 15, 11:04 am, Fabian Braennstroem <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> thanks for your ideas! I actually thought of something like
> a python parser, which just converts the nsf structure to an
> mbox; could that work!?

Well, If you wish to go that route, I believe you will have to reverse
engineer the Notes Database binary structure because I've never seen
it published anywhere. My suggestion, if you can use a Windows
machine, just use the Lotus Notes COM Objects via the Python Win32
bindings, as mentioned above.

If you really need to do it from Linux and are lucky enough to be
running the IIOP task on your Domino server, then you could possibly
use CORBA.

Fabian Braennstroem

Hi to all,

thanks, I'll try your suggestions...

Regards!
Fabian

Brian Munroe schrieb am 12/15/2007 07:10 PM:
> On Dec 15, 11:04 am, Fabian Braennstroem <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> thanks for your ideas! I actually thought of something like
>> a python parser, which just converts the nsf structure to an
>> mbox; could that work!?
>>

> Well, If you wish to go that route, I believe you will have to reverse
> engineer the Notes Database binary structure because I've never seen
> it published anywhere. My suggestion, if you can use a Windows
> machine, just use the Lotus Notes COM Objects via the Python Win32
> bindings, as mentioned above.
>
> If you really need to do it from Linux and are lucky enough to be
> running the IIOP task on your Domino server, then you could possibly
> use CORBA.

Adam Lanier

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 19:25 +0000, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> thanks, I'll try your suggestions...
>
> Regards!
> Fabian
>
> Brian Munroe schrieb am 12/15/2007 07:10 PM:
> > Well, If you wish to go that route, I believe you will have to reverse
> > engineer the Notes Database binary structure because I've never seen
> > it published anywhere. My suggestion, if you can use a Windows
> > machine, just use the Lotus Notes COM Objects via the Python Win32
> > bindings, as mentioned above.
> >
> > If you really need to do it from Linux and are lucky enough to be
> > running the IIOP task on your Domino server, then you could possibly
> > use CORBA.

You could always enable the IMAP interface on the Domino machine and use
imaplib to retrieve the mail via IMAP.

Michael Ströder

Adam Lanier wrote:
>> Brian Munroe schrieb am 12/15/2007 07:10 PM:
>>>
>>> If you really need to do it from Linux and are lucky enough to be
>>> running the IIOP task on your Domino server, then you could possibly
>>> use CORBA.

> You could always enable the IMAP interface on the Domino machine and use
> imaplib to retrieve the mail via IMAP.

Be prepared to hit a lot of bugs in Domino implementations of IIOP and
IMAP depending on the Domino version deployed...

Ciao, Michael.