Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > From the Earth to the Moon

From the Earth to the Moon

Tarkus

Just got this (all 12 one hour episodes) at Circuit City for $19.99.
This is the new "Signature Edition". Sticker price shows $59.99, but I
can remember when it was about $100 or more.

I was so amazed at the deal, that I asked a salesman if their ad was a
typo, and then made sure of the price when they rung it up. I now see
Amazon has it for the same price, so I guess it's a special deal from HBO.

The Circuit City ad runs through Saturday; I'm not sure how long Amazon
will have it at that price.

This is a great series, and an absolute steal at that price! I'll
probably buy at least one more copy tomorrow. Either give it as a gift
and/or save it for an investment, if I buy more than one more.

Telstar

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got this (all 12 one hour episodes) at Circuit City for $19.99. This
> is the new "Signature Edition". Sticker price shows $59.99, but I can
> remember when it was about $100 or more.
>
> I was so amazed at the deal, that I asked a salesman if their ad was a
> typo, and then made sure of the price when they rung it up. I now see
> Amazon has it for the same price, so I guess it's a special deal from HBO.
>
> The Circuit City ad runs through Saturday; I'm not sure how long Amazon
> will have it at that price.
>
> This is a great series, and an absolute steal at that price! I'll
> probably buy at least one more copy tomorrow. Either give it as a gift
> and/or save it for an investment, if I buy more than one more.

Everyone bought it when first released. They made way to many and are now
dumping them.

Tarkus

Telstar wrote:
> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just got this (all 12 one hour episodes) at Circuit City for $19.99. This
>> is the new "Signature Edition". Sticker price shows $59.99, but I can
>> remember when it was about $100 or more.
>>
>> I was so amazed at the deal, that I asked a salesman if their ad was a
>> typo, and then made sure of the price when they rung it up. I now see
>> Amazon has it for the same price, so I guess it's a special deal from HBO.
>>
>> The Circuit City ad runs through Saturday; I'm not sure how long Amazon
>> will have it at that price.
>>
>> This is a great series, and an absolute steal at that price! I'll
>> probably buy at least one more copy tomorrow. Either give it as a gift
>> and/or save it for an investment, if I buy more than one more.

> Everyone bought it when first released. They made way to many and are now
> dumping them.

Everyone except cheap bastards like me.

Yeah, it looks like this version came out in 2005, from looking at the
box, so that makes sense. Lucky me!

Telstar

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Telstar wrote:
>> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Just got this (all 12 one hour episodes) at Circuit City for $19.99.
>>> This is the new "Signature Edition". Sticker price shows $59.99, but I
>>> can remember when it was about $100 or more.
>>>
>>> I was so amazed at the deal, that I asked a salesman if their ad was a
>>> typo, and then made sure of the price when they rung it up. I now see
>>> Amazon has it for the same price, so I guess it's a special deal from
>>> HBO.
>>>
>>> The Circuit City ad runs through Saturday; I'm not sure how long Amazon
>>> will have it at that price.
>>>
>>> This is a great series, and an absolute steal at that price! I'll
>>> probably buy at least one more copy tomorrow. Either give it as a gift
>>> and/or save it for an investment, if I buy more than one more.

>> Everyone bought it when first released. They made way to many and are
>> now dumping them.

> Everyone except cheap bastards like me.
>
> Yeah, it looks like this version came out in 2005, from looking at the
> box, so that makes sense. Lucky me!

The previous version dates much earlier...and was $99 (it was the first
thing I bought with a new DVD player).

Telstar

"Telstar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fk1osa$dga$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Telstar wrote:
>>> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Everyone bought it when first released. They made way to many and are
>>> now dumping them.

>> Everyone except cheap bastards like me.
>>
>> Yeah, it looks like this version came out in 2005, from looking at the
>> box, so that makes sense. Lucky me!

> The previous version dates much earlier...and was $99 (it was the first
> thing I bought with a new DVD player).

PS

There is (as usual) quite a series of discussions about how the new version
accomplishes 16:9 (the original was in academy 4:3 ratio)....many showing
proof of material cut off in the widescreen. The audio on this version is
decent, but some claim it is an artificial creation and not the original.
There you go....no sales to previous owners.

I think it is a terrific program, and well worth having no matter which
version!

Tarkus

Telstar wrote:
> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Telstar wrote:
>>> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Everyone bought it when first released. They made way to many and are
>>> now dumping them.

>> Everyone except cheap bastards like me.
>>
>> Yeah, it looks like this version came out in 2005, from looking at the
>> box, so that makes sense. Lucky me!

> The previous version dates much earlier...and was $99 (it was the first
> thing I bought with a new DVD player).

Yes, I remember that, which is why I was so excited to see it at $19.99.
I rented the series from Netflix, but never bought it.

Tarkus

Telstar wrote:
> There is (as usual) quite a series of discussions about how the new version
> accomplishes 16:9 (the original was in academy 4:3 ratio)....many showing
> proof of material cut off in the widescreen. The audio on this version is
> decent, but some claim it is an artificial creation and not the original.
> There you go....no sales to previous owners.
>
> I think it is a terrific program, and well worth having no matter which
> version!

Thanks, I was wondering about the 16:9, since I know it's a pretty old
series. At $19.99 for 12 hours, I'll live with it, regardless.

Andre Marek

Telstar wrote:
> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Just got this (all 12 one hour episodes) at Circuit City for $19.99. This
>>is the new "Signature Edition". Sticker price shows $59.99, but I can
>>remember when it was about $100 or more.
>>
>>I was so amazed at the deal, that I asked a salesman if their ad was a
>>typo, and then made sure of the price when they rung it up. I now see
>>Amazon has it for the same price, so I guess it's a special deal from HBO.
>>
>>The Circuit City ad runs through Saturday; I'm not sure how long Amazon
>>will have it at that price.
>>
>>This is a great series, and an absolute steal at that price! I'll
>>probably buy at least one more copy tomorrow. Either give it as a gift
>>and/or save it for an investment, if I buy more than one more.

> Everyone bought it when first released. They made way to many and are now
> dumping them.

I bought it a few years ago really cheap when a local music store closed
out. I think it was almost 90% off or close to that.

Dick Sidbury

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just got this (all 12 one hour episodes) at Circuit City for $19.99.
> This is the new "Signature Edition". Sticker price shows $59.99, but I
> can remember when it was about $100 or more.
>
> I was so amazed at the deal, that I asked a salesman if their ad was a
> typo, and then made sure of the price when they rung it up. I now see
> Amazon has it for the same price, so I guess it's a special deal from HBO.
>
> The Circuit City ad runs through Saturday; I'm not sure how long Amazon
> will have it at that price.
>
> This is a great series, and an absolute steal at that price! I'll
> probably buy at least one more copy tomorrow. Either give it as a gift
> and/or save it for an investment, if I buy more than one more.

I bought it several weeks ago, maybe longer, at that price too.

dick