Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard Drive Help Please

Hard Drive Help Please

vanmier

I have a hard drive that won't boot up. It won't even spin up with power.
Is there any way to retrieve the data? Could I put the data medium into
another drive or is this something that should be professionally done?

TIA
Vanmier

Robert Baer

vanmier wrote:

> I have a hard drive that won't boot up. It won't even spin up with
> power. Is there any way to retrieve the data? Could I put the data
> medium into another drive or is this something that should be
> professionally done?
>
> TIA
> Vanmier

If the hard drive does not spin up, the only way to get the data is
take it to a hard drive data recovery place where they have all of the
tools to do that (including but not limited to ultra clean workstations).
Expensive tho.
Too bad you did not *BACKUP* the HD...
....but it seems nobody does that.
I gave up preaching that years ago as it seemed to do no good.

So now i say "tough sh*t"!

vanmier

Thank you. I figured as much.

Vanmier

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the hard drive does not spin up, the only way to get the data is take
> it to a hard drive data recovery place where they have all of the tools to
> do that (including but not limited to ultra clean workstations).
> Expensive tho.
> Too bad you did not *BACKUP* the HD...
> ...but it seems nobody does that.
> I gave up preaching that years ago as it seemed to do no good.
>
> So now i say "tough sh*t"!

sandy58

On Dec 15, 5:20 am, "vanmier" <vanmier AT peoplepc DOT com> wrote:
> I have a hard drive that won't boot up. It won't even spin up with power.
> Is there any way to retrieve the data? Could I put the data medium into
> another drive or is this something that should be professionally done?
>
> TIA
> Vanmier

I take it that you have tried it in another PC, as slave, on it's own
IDE ribbon, jumper changes, power connection........et al? How old
is it? What make/size etc? Was/is it alone/master?

vanmier

Yes, it was the master drive in my mother-in-laws computer. I would say
that it is at least five years old. I have tried it in my computer, but no
go. It isn't here at the moment, so I would only be guessing at brand and
size, but I woud say it was either a Maxtor or Western Digital and bigger
than 2 GB but smaller than 10GB. I very seriously doubt that it was any
bigger than 10GB. She took it to work to have a friend's husband take a
look at it. I'll have her bring it home the next time she works and post
the info then.

Vanmier
"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I take it that you have tried it in another PC, as slave, on it's own
> IDE ribbon, jumper changes, power connection........et al? How old
> is it? What make/size etc? Was/is it alone/master?

Bobby

On Dec 15, 12:31 am, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> vanmier wrote:
> > I have a hard drive that won't boot up. It won't even spin up with
> > power. Is there any way to retrieve the data? Could I put the data
> > medium into another drive or is this something that should be
> > professionally done?

> > TIA
> > Vanmier

> If the hard drive does not spin up, the only way to get the data is
> take it to a hard drive data recovery place where they have all of the
> tools to do that (including but not limited to ultra clean workstations).
> Expensive tho.
> Too bad you did not *BACKUP* the HD...
> ...but it seems nobody does that.
> I gave up preaching that years ago as it seemed to do no good.
>
> So now i say "tough sh*t"!

A more helpful reply would be to tell him to buy an IDE to USB adapter
and retrieve whatever desktop items, data, etc and then go and buy a
new hard drive for Ma! Why bother to reply if you have nothing
constructive to say, anyway? Bored?

vanmier

Not to sound silly, but would that work? Change it to a USB drive and use
it how? Externally?

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:220edd00-5c99-4b1b-b20f-

> A more helpful reply would be to tell him to buy an IDE to USB adapter
> and retrieve whatever desktop items, data, etc and then go and buy a
> new hard drive for Ma! Why bother to reply if you have nothing
> constructive to say, anyway? Bored?

- Bobb -

If the drive doesn't SPIN ( you DID try to change power ? ... maybe put
drive in another PC ?) then can't use at all - USB won't help..

news:(E-Mail Removed)...