Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Connecting to SQL database

Connecting to SQL database

bill ramsay

Hi

I have successfully connected to SQL2000 and MSDEE databases in the
past, however I have to move to SQL2005 and SQLEXPRESS databases now.

I've tried the following but with no luck [this is what i used in the
earlier incarnation except the Provider resource was SQLOLEDB.1]

Conn = Dispatch('ADODB.Connection')
Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=10.1.1.2;
Database=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill"
print Conn.ConnectionString

try:
print 'trying to open'
Conn.Open()

etc.

All I ever get to is the trying to openline, then it times out.

I have tried all of the following combinations too:

Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost;Database=csrctes t;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill;

Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Datab ase=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill;

The SQLEXPRESS database for testing purposes is on my home PC
[10.1.1.2]

Any clues s to where I am going wrong?

Look forward to hearing from someone, anyone!!

Kind regards

Bill

Gabriel Genellina

Look for the right spelling at http://www.connectionstrings.com/

--
Gabriel Genellina

bill ramsay

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:35:00 -0300, "Gabriel Genellina"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>En Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:24:24 -0300, Unknown <(E-Mail Removed)>
>escribió:
>
>> I have successfully connected to SQL2000 and MSDEE databases in the
>> past, however I have to move to SQL2005 and SQLEXPRESS databases now.

>> Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=10.1.1.2;
>> Database=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill"

>Look for the right spelling at http://www.connectionstrings.com/

looks like my spelling is ok, any other ideas?

thanks for the suggestion above.

kind regards

bill

kyosohma@gmail.com

On Dec 14, 8:24 pm, bill ramsay <blah@blahdeblah> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have successfully connected to SQL2000 and MSDEE databases in the
> past, however I have to move to SQL2005 and SQLEXPRESS databases now.
>
> I've tried the following but with no luck [this is what i used in the
> earlier incarnation except the Provider resource was SQLOLEDB.1]
>
> Conn = Dispatch('ADODB.Connection')
> Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=10.1.1.2;
> Database=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill"
> print Conn.ConnectionString
>
> try:
> print 'trying to open'
> Conn.Open()
>
> etc.
>
> All I ever get to is the trying to openline, then it times out.
>
> I have tried all of the following combinations too:
>
> Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost;Database=csrctes t;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill;
>
> Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Datab ase=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill;
>
> The SQLEXPRESS database for testing purposes is on my home PC
> [10.1.1.2]
>
> Any clues s to where I am going wrong?
>
> Look forward to hearing from someone, anyone!!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Bill

What Python module are you using? At first I thought you were using
the adodb module for Python, but your syntax doesn't look right for
that one.

Mike

kyosohma@gmail.com

On Dec 14, 8:24 pm, bill ramsay <blah@blahdeblah> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have successfully connected to SQL2000 and MSDEE databases in the
> past, however I have to move to SQL2005 and SQLEXPRESS databases now.
>
> I've tried the following but with no luck [this is what i used in the
> earlier incarnation except the Provider resource was SQLOLEDB.1]
>
> Conn = Dispatch('ADODB.Connection')
> Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=10.1.1.2;
> Database=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill"
> print Conn.ConnectionString
>
> try:
> print 'trying to open'
> Conn.Open()
>
> etc.
>
> All I ever get to is the trying to openline, then it times out.
>
> I have tried all of the following combinations too:
>
> Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost;Database=csrctes t;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill;
>
> Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Datab ase=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill;
>
> The SQLEXPRESS database for testing purposes is on my home PC
> [10.1.1.2]
>
> Any clues s to where I am going wrong?
>
> Look forward to hearing from someone, anyone!!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Bill

You might try pymssql:

http://pymssql.sourceforge.net/

I've only used it with MSSQL2000, but according to the website, it
should work with 2005 too.

If you wrapped your database interface with SQLObject or SQLAlchemy,
then (as I understand it) the sql connector module can be swapped out
with little to no work. I hope to move to one of those sooner or
later:

http://www.sqlobject.org/
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/

Mike

thebjorn

On Dec 20, 10:01 pm, bill ramsay <blah@blahdeblah> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:35:00 -0300, "Gabriel Genellina"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >En Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:24:24 -0300, Unknown <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >escribió:

> >> I have successfully connected to SQL2000 and MSDEE databases in the
> >> past, however I have to move to SQL2005 and SQLEXPRESS databases now.

> >> Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=10.1.1.2;
> >> Database=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill"

> >Look for the right spelling athttp://www.connectionstrings.com/

> looks like my spelling is ok, any other ideas?
>
> thanks for the suggestion above.
>
> kind regards
>
> bill

This is working for me to the internal network (I'm using adodbapi,
but the connection string should be the same)

'Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=dbserv;Initial Catalog=ndb;User
Id=foo;Password=bar;'

I just tested, and this works well too

'Provider=SQLNCLI;Data Source=dbserv;Initial Catalog=ndb;User
Id=foo;Password=bar;'

and to my local instance (Hermes is my machine)

'Provider=SQLNCLI;Data Source=HERMES\\SQLEXPRESS;Initial
Catalog=;User Id=sa;Password=pw666;'

Can you connect to the server using SqlServer Management Studio? Can
you create an odbc connection to the server? Unlike 2000, SqlServer
2005 has tcp/ip connections turned off by default, so you might want
to check that with the SqlServer Surface Area Configuration tool.

Externally we're still running 2000, so I don't know how connecting
over the interweb differs.

When you've figured out how to connect, and if you're open to a
suggestion, you might want to try out the adodbapi package (http://
adodbapi.sourceforge.net/). It is a thin wrapper over ADO, and works
quite well. Then you'll get to use the Python db-api v.2.0 syntax,
which is oodles less typing than straight ADO.

-- bjorn

Rob Williscroft

bill ramsay wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed) in
comp.lang.python:

> Hi
>
> I have successfully connected to SQL2000 and MSDEE databases in the

> Conn = Dispatch('ADODB.Connection')
> Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=10.1.1.2;
> Database=csrctest;Uid=bill;Pwd=bill"

By default SQL 2005 doesn't enable the TCP/IP protocol, if your app'
is running on the same machine use either the machine name or a
period (.) and it will use the Shared Memory protocol.

You will also need the server instance name(*), so it would be:

"Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Datab... "

*) IIRC you can't install express as the "Default" instance so
this will be required.

If you need to enable TCP/IP use the "SQL Server Configuration Manager"
about 4 levels deep from the "Start" menu. Remember to enable it for
the server and SQLNCLI.

Rob.
--
http://www.victim-prime.dsl.pipex.com/