Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Google mash-up I'd like to see

Google mash-up I'd like to see

Don Wiss

I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when the sun
is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two points. One for
where you would be standing. The second would be off in the direction you
want to be looking. Then you would input a date. The program would return
the time on that date that the sun would be directly behind you.

RichA

On Dec 14, 7:06 pm, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when the sun
> is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two points. One for
> where you would be standing. The second would be off in the direction you
> want to be looking. Then you would input a date. The program would return
> the time on that date that the sun would be directly behind you.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

I'd like to see the stop the Chinese Nike hawkers from flooding usenet
using their email service.

Charles

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:06:49 -0500, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when the sun
>is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two points. One for
>where you would be standing. The second would be off in the direction you
>want to be looking. Then you would input a date. The program would return
>the time on that date that the sun would be directly behind you.
>
>Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

Not quite what you are asking for, but you may get some use from this
page.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

Ilya Zakharevich

Charles
<(E-Mail Removed)>], who wrote in article <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Not quite what you are asking for, but you may get some use from this
> page.
>
> http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

All I get is

Invalid year. Please enter a value from 1700 to 2100

(I was trying 3007). Anybody hear knowing: with the current precision
of data about sun/earth/moon system, for how long one can do reliable
prediction (say, with 15' error)?

[I know that for Solar system as a whole, chaos appears in about 1e9
years increments (at least, this was state-of-art of 1990); but
even without chaos, errors in measurements would matter at some
moment...]

Thanks,
Ilya

acl

On Dec 15, 6:19 am, Ilya Zakharevich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Charles
> <(E-Mail Removed)>], who wrote in article <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> > Not quite what you are asking for, but you may get some use from this
> > page.

> >http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

> All I get is
>
> Invalid year. Please enter a value from 1700 to 2100
>
> (I was trying 3007). Anybody hear knowing: with the current precision
> of data about sun/earth/moon system, for how long one can do reliable
> prediction (say, with 15' error)?
>
> [I know that for Solar system as a whole, chaos appears in about 1e9
> years increments (at least, this was state-of-art of 1990); but
> even without chaos, errors in measurements would matter at some
> moment...]

Yes, that's funny isn't it, I know about Sussman and Wisdom's work,
but have no clue about the accuracy to which this stuff is known in
100 years or so. Strange world.

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Dec 15, 10:06 am, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when the sun
> is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two points. One for
> where you would be standing. The second would be off in the direction you
> want to be looking. Then you would input a date. The program would return
> the time on that date that the sun would be directly behind you.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

As Charles indirectly pointed out, standard Alt/Az (Altitude/Azimuth)
figures would give you this information, with very little effort.
Most astronomy programs do this very easily/quickly, and allow you to
go way back/ way forward. Try Winstars for a good freebie (actually
it's shareware nowadays, but I don't think it is crippled or time
limited) - there are many others.

Neil Ellwood

Don Wiss wrote:

> I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when
> the sun is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two
> points. One for where you would be standing. The second would be off
> in the direction you want to be looking. Then you would input a
> date. The program would return the time on that date that the sun
> would be directly behind you.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

Use a compass and a watch.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l

The Good Doctor

Neil Ellwood <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when
>> the sun is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two
>> points. One for where you would be standing. The second would be off
>> in the direction you want to be looking. Then you would input a
>> date. The program would return the time on that date that the sun
>> would be directly behind you.
>>
>> Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

>Use a compass and a watch.

Learn to use your watch as a compass, and a watch is all you need.

It is all I need, and it gets plenty of use.

Recommendation - avoid digital watches for this application.

Don Wiss

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, The Good Doctor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Neil Ellwood <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Don Wiss wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when
>>> the sun is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two
>>> points. One for where you would be standing. The second would be off
>>> in the direction you want to be looking. Then you would input a
>>> date. The program would return the time on that date that the sun
>>> would be directly behind you.
>>>

>>Use a compass and a watch.

>Learn to use your watch as a compass, and a watch is all you need.
>It is all I need, and it gets plenty of use.

I'm sorry but I don't follow. How can that tell me at what time I should go
visit a site to take a picture with the sun exactly in the direction I want
it to be?

Neil Harrington

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to see someone create a Google mash-up that tells me when the sun
> is in the direction I want. On the map you would put two points. One for
> where you would be standing. The second would be off in the direction you
> want to be looking. Then you would input a date. The program would return
> the time on that date that the sun would be directly behind you.

In order to do this accurately you'd also have to consider longitude. For
example, if you were near the eastern edge of your time zone the correct
answer would be almost an hour different from what it would be near the
western edge.

Neil