Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS Code that Only Runs for IE 6

CSS Code that Only Runs for IE 6

cfdvlpr

Is there a certain way that you can write your css code so that
certain properties for a class are only applied when the browser is IE
6?

Els

cfdvlpr wrote:

> Is there a certain way that you can write your css code so that
> certain properties for a class are only applied when the browser is IE
> 6?

Yes.
You'll need to do some puzzling though, and if you really only want to
address IE6 and not 5, 4, 3 or 7, it might be easier to use
conditional comments and a separate stylesheet.

For the puzzling: http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit cfdvlpr:

> Is there a certain way that you can write your css code so that
> certain properties for a class are only applied when the browser is IE
> 6?

Yes. But since you would use it for wrong reasons, it's better that you
don't know it. (The reasons are wrong because you didn't explain them.
Therefore you can't get a solution to the real problem - though you
might manage to get an advice on how to create the problem you're about
to create.)

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Els

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> The reasons are wrong because you didn't explain them.

I have reasons to dislike you. Since I will not explain them, I reckon
you will believe I dislike you for the wrong reasons. Which ironically
probably explains them to anyone else but you.

Dorayme, can you come back and prattle please? It's so much more
pleasant to read than whatever the above is called.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

DocuMaker

On Dec 14, 10:52 am, cfdvlpr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a certain way that you can write your css code so that
> certain properties for a class are only applied when the browser is IE
> 6?

Javascript immediately comes to mind.

<script>
if browser = specific.type {
document.write("specific css file")
} else {
document.write("some other css file")
}
</script>

That is of course pseudo code. You can easily find a redirect script
online somewhere and then modify it to load a css file instead of
taking your visitors to a different page.

---
http://www.outsource2documaker.com
Managing outsourced projects ranging from fine artwork and business
graphics to website design and maintenance.

Michael Fesser

..oO(cfdvlpr)

>Is there a certain way that you can write your css code so that
>certain properties for a class are only applied when the browser is IE
>6?

Google "Conditional Comments".

Micha

Michael Fesser

..oO(DocuMaker)

>On Dec 14, 10:52 am, cfdvlpr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there a certain way that you can write your css code so that
>> certain properties for a class are only applied when the browser is IE
>> 6?

>Javascript immediately comes to mind.

Not really.

><script>
>if browser = specific.type {

Browser sniffing _never_ works reliably.

Micha

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

DocuMaker wrote:

> Javascript immediately comes to mind.
>
> <script>
> if browser = specific.type {
> document.write("specific css file")
> } else {
> document.write("some other css file")
> }
> </script>

What will your script do when it encounters my browser UA string:

Borgzilla/31.0 (Starship Enterprise NCC-1701)

--
-bts

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit DocuMaker:

> On Dec 14, 10:52 am, cfdvlpr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there a certain way that you can write your css code so that
>> certain properties for a class are only applied when the browser is
>> IE 6?

> Javascript immediately comes to mind.

Which part of the word "certain" did you fail to understand?

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <adB8j.265481$%(E-Mail Removed) i>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (The reasons are wrong because you didn't explain them.
> Therefore you can't get a solution to the real problem - though you
> might manage to get an advice on how to create the problem you're about
> to create.)

I have become intensely interested in what you say in brackets*

Reasons cannot be wrong *because* they are not explicitly given.

While there are merits in the philosophy of positivism so
excitingly propagated by certain thinkers loosely centred on
Vienna earlier last century, most other thinkers had come to see
its flaws by at least the middle of that century. Perhaps in
Iceland, there is a current 21st century attempt at
rehabilitation? Do tell.

* See my earlier clueless prattling babbling post on a bracketed
remark by you in the thread on marquees.

--
dorayme