Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless network no longer listed under "available wireless networ

wireless network no longer listed under "available wireless networ

Margo

Have an MN-500 router with cable modem connection. Wireless connectivity has
been up and running successfully for months. Came home last night during a
snowstorm - apparently we had lost power momentarily while I was gone as the
clocks were flashing. Turned on my laptop (from which I connect to the
internet wirelessly) and discovered that my own wireless network was no
longer listed under available wireless networks. Then noticed on the router
that all lights were lit on the router except for the 4 ports. I unplugged
and replugged. Then I reset with a paperclip. Still not showing itself.
Now I don't know what to do; not even sure where the problem lies. Though I
managed to set up the network by myself I am by no means a computer expert.
We can connect wired through the router, but my wireless network has
apparently disappeared. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

Barb Bowman

If you login to the router with a wired connection, you can check
the status of the wireless.

Frankly, that router does not provide you with proper security as it
only supports WEP (not to mention it is b only). For security
reasons alone, you should consider replacing it with a modern router
that supports WPA2. If you have older computers with older operating
systems and wireless network cards that don't support WPA, consider
the risks - data theft, identity theft, etc.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Margo

How do i login to the router to check the status?

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> If you login to the router with a wired connection, you can check
> the status of the wireless.
>
> Frankly, that router does not provide you with proper security as it
> only supports WEP (not to mention it is b only). For security
> reasons alone, you should consider replacing it with a modern router
> that supports WPA2. If you have older computers with older operating
> systems and wireless network cards that don't support WPA, consider
> the risks - data theft, identity theft, etc.
>
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:50:00 -0800, Margo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Have an MN-500 router with cable modem connection. Wireless connectivity has
> >been up and running successfully for months. Came home last night during a
> >snowstorm - apparently we had lost power momentarily while I was gone as the
> >clocks were flashing. Turned on my laptop (from which I connect to the
> >internet wirelessly) and discovered that my own wireless network was no
> >longer listed under available wireless networks. Then noticed on the router
> >that all lights were lit on the router except for the 4 ports. I unplugged
> >and replugged. Then I reset with a paperclip. Still not showing itself.
> >Now I don't know what to do; not even sure where the problem lies. Though I
> >managed to set up the network by myself I am by no means a computer expert.
> >We can connect wired through the router, but my wireless network has
> >apparently disappeared. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

open a web browser
got to http://192.168.2.1

the default password is

admin

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:32:10 -0800, Margo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How do i login to the router to check the status?
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> If you login to the router with a wired connection, you can check
>> the status of the wireless.
>>
>> Frankly, that router does not provide you with proper security as it
>> only supports WEP (not to mention it is b only). For security
>> reasons alone, you should consider replacing it with a modern router
>> that supports WPA2. If you have older computers with older operating
>> systems and wireless network cards that don't support WPA, consider
>> the risks - data theft, identity theft, etc.
>>
>> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:50:00 -0800, Margo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Have an MN-500 router with cable modem connection. Wireless connectivity has
>> >been up and running successfully for months. Came home last night during a
>> >snowstorm - apparently we had lost power momentarily while I was gone as the
>> >clocks were flashing. Turned on my laptop (from which I connect to the
>> >internet wirelessly) and discovered that my own wireless network was no
>> >longer listed under available wireless networks. Then noticed on the router
>> >that all lights were lit on the router except for the 4 ports. I unplugged
>> >and replugged. Then I reset with a paperclip. Still not showing itself.
>> >Now I don't know what to do; not even sure where the problem lies. Though I
>> >managed to set up the network by myself I am by no means a computer expert.
>> >We can connect wired through the router, but my wireless network has
>> >apparently disappeared. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman