Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Open Port Exploits

Open Port Exploits

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpYXM=?=

Hello all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to close an open port that someone may be
using to hack into your computer? I recently installed a software named
CallerIP that shows who is connected to your computer and which port they are
using.

I have gotten some connections I can't identify that appear to be rouge
users. I see them connected when I first run the CallerIP software, but
seconds after that they disconnect and disappear. These connections always
appear and disappear on port 80.

Is there any software that will allow you to kill the connection of phantom
users that log into your system or something similar?

-A

Dave

that is port 80 on your computer?? or you connecting out to port 80 on some
other computer? the first means that you are running a web server and
someone is connecting to it... if you don't want to run a web server then
turn it off. if you don't have something listening on a port no one can
connect to it. also turn on your firewall if you don't want incoming
connections. if that program is showing you connecting out to another
computer on port 80 then that is just an automatic update or something else
going to a remote web server, which could be perfectly normal, or could be
the sign of a virus or worm.

"Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>

> Does anyone know if it's possible to close an open port that someone may
> be
> using to hack into your computer? I recently installed a software named
> CallerIP that shows who is connected to your computer and which port they
> are
> using.
>
> I have gotten some connections I can't identify that appear to be rouge
> users. I see them connected when I first run the CallerIP software, but
> seconds after that they disconnect and disappear. These connections
> always
> appear and disappear on port 80.
>
> Is there any software that will allow you to kill the connection of
> phantom
> users that log into your system or something similar?
>
> -A

James Gockel

to find out if someone is able to see anything on port 80 on your computer,
open IE.. and goto http://127.0.0.1:80

if it is outgoing, it could be you going to websites? or some other software
running and checking for updates like dave says.

-James G.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> that is port 80 on your computer?? or you connecting out to port 80 on
> some other computer? the first means that you are running a web server
> and someone is connecting to it... if you don't want to run a web server
> then turn it off. if you don't have something listening on a port no one
> can connect to it. also turn on your firewall if you don't want incoming
> connections. if that program is showing you connecting out to another
> computer on port 80 then that is just an automatic update or something
> else going to a remote web server, which could be perfectly normal, or
> could be the sign of a virus or worm.
>
> "Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello all,
>>

>> Does anyone know if it's possible to close an open port that someone may
>> be
>> using to hack into your computer? I recently installed a software named
>> CallerIP that shows who is connected to your computer and which port they
>> are
>> using.
>>
>> I have gotten some connections I can't identify that appear to be rouge
>> users. I see them connected when I first run the CallerIP software, but
>> seconds after that they disconnect and disappear. These connections
>> always
>> appear and disappear on port 80.
>>
>> Is there any software that will allow you to kill the connection of
>> phantom
>> users that log into your system or something similar?
>>
>> -A

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
That is what Firewalls do, they keep ports closed, and open them for
comunication out when needed.
Internet, Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).