Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco PIX 506e won't boot

Cisco PIX 506e won't boot

davidbrant@gmail.com

Cisco PIX 506E hangs during boot. This is as far as it gets:

CISCO SYSTEMS PIX FIREWALL
Embedded BIOS Version 4.3.207 01/02/02 16:12:22.73
Compiled by morlee
32 MB RAM

PCI Device Table.
Bus Dev Func VendID DevID Class Irq
00 00 00 8086 7192 Host Bridge
00 07 00 8086 7110 ISA Bridge
00 07 01 8086 7111 IDE Controller
00 07 02 8086 7112 Serial Bus 9
00 07 03 8086 7113 PCI Bridge
00 0D 00 8086 1209 Ethernet 11
00 0E 00 8086 1209 Ethernet 10

Any suggesstions?

davidbrant@gmail.com

I can get to the "Testing Mode Menu" by pressing ESC before it hangs.
All tests pass:

Numeric Coprocessor: Passed.
Protected Mode Test: Passed.
Low Memory Test: Passed.
Extended Memory Test: Passed.

But if I continue the boot process, it hangs at the same place as
before.

Richard Kraal

i've a few 506e with the same problem, try the following

open the pix, in the middle of the mainboard there is a jumper, set it to
the other position, and boot it again

please let me know if it solves your problem!

p.s.anybody know's where the switch is???

kind regard

Richard Kraal

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I can get to the "Testing Mode Menu" by pressing ESC before it hangs.
> All tests pass:
>
> Numeric Coprocessor: Passed.
> Protected Mode Test: Passed.
> Low Memory Test: Passed.
> Extended Memory Test: Passed.
>
> But if I continue the boot process, it hangs at the same place as
> before.

felenskool felenskool is offline
Junior Member

Wow dude... how did you know that?

I had a PIX with the same problem and I had the case open trying to blow off the dust off of the heatsink, thinking it might be an overheating issue.

But I came across your post and did what you said... presto!

Thanks for sharing!

-DV

berkeleycowboy berkeleycowboy is offline
Junior Member

I experineced the same problem after a power outage.

Toggling the jumper settings resolved my probelm.

I wish I figure out what the magic jumper is suppose to do.

MiamiGunrunner MiamiGunrunner is offline
Junior Member

This worked great. I signed up just to say thanks. I found this solution via google search and appreciated it. So thanks for the help. Maybe one day someone will post what that jumper does.

[QUOTE=Richard Kraal;309123]i've a few 506e with the same problem, try the following