Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > internal/external general entities

internal/external general entities

steadyspirit@gmail.com

I'm a beginner in XML and got a problem here.

In DTD, below entities were declared and all corresponding xml files
were made accordingly.
<!ENTITY addwok SYSTEM "add_work.xml">
<!ENTITY addhom SYSTEM "add_home.xml">
<!ENTITY data SYSTEM "data.xml">
<!ENTITY greet SYSTEM "greet.xml">
<!ENTITY today SYSTEM "date.xml">
<!ENTITY name "Alfred Hitchcock">
<!ENTITY signature "&name; &addwok;">

But, within XML document, only the name entity can be called (by
&name. All other entities that relate to "external entities" are not
valid for work.

Why?

Any feedback are appreciated.

Pavel Lepin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> In DTD, below entities were declared and all corresponding
> xml files were made accordingly.
> <!ENTITY addwok SYSTEM "add_work.xml">
> <!ENTITY name "Alfred Hitchcock">
>
> But, within XML document, only the name entity can be
> called (by &name. All other entities that relate to
> "external entities" are not valid for work.
>
> Why?

Probably because the parser you're using (which you forgot
to mention, by the way) is non-validating and doesn't parse
external parsed entities. See 4.4 in XML 1.0 4E and XML 1.1
2E. Specifically, the table of required treatment for
entities says for external parsed entities referenced in
content: 'Included if validating' (see 4.4.3),
and 'Forbidden' or 'Bypassed' for all other references.

--
....also, I submit that we all must honourably commit seppuku
right now rather than serve the Dark Side by producing the