Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OEM License

OEM License

RichM

Hello,

I saw online an ad for XP Pro x64 and it says, "No Retail Box (OEM)". The
price is way below many other sites. In plain english, can someone explain
what OEM means in this context? I know it stands for Original Equipment
Manufacturer, but
1) what does it mean,
2) why doesn't come in the box, and
3) is it the same as more expensive products that do come in a retail box?

I look forward to a simple and understandable explanation.

Thank you.

Here's the link if anyone is interested
http://software.pricegrabber.com/win...n/skd=1/qlty=o

S.SubZero

1. OEM is software intended for the PC maker to install, not end
users
2. It doesn't come in a box because that is added expense the end
user will never see
3. It is "the same" product in that it's functionally the same. for
32-bit XP, the OEM and retail do not share the same keys, so there are
OEM keys and retail keys. With XP64 this is not an issue, as XP64 is
*only* sold as an OEM product. There's no such thing as a boxed,
retail XP64.

RichM

Okay, thanks. That all makes sense. There's a wide range of prices for this
software. I see anywhere from $72 to $140. So even at $140 you don't get a
retail box. I guess the only confusion is the term "Original Equipment
Manufacturer." That sounds more like the company that made the disc and OS,
but now I understand it's the company that uses the OS on their equipment,
like Dell, Gateway, etc.

Thanks again.

"S.SubZero" wrote:

> 1. OEM is software intended for the PC maker to install, not end
> users
> 2. It doesn't come in a box because that is added expense the end
> user will never see
> 3. It is "the same" product in that it's functionally the same. for
> 32-bit XP, the OEM and retail do not share the same keys, so there are
> OEM keys and retail keys. With XP64 this is not an issue, as XP64 is
> *only* sold as an OEM product. There's no such thing as a boxed,
> retail XP64.

R. C. White

Hi, Rich.

As S.Subzero said, you don't get a box with the OEM version. If a system
builder ordered 1,000 copies, he'd have a thousand boxes to throw away.
:>( But the missing box explains only a small part of the price difference.

The "bits" on the "generic" OEM disk are identical to the ones on the retail
disk. The major OEMs (Dell, Gateway) often add custom drivers, splash
screens and other touches, but the operating system itself should be
identical. The big difference is in the licensing - and the support. The
OEM versions are much less expensive because of volume discounts AND because
they do not come with support by Microsoft. The OE Manufacturer assumes the
burden of support. If you have a problem with the Windows pre-installed on
your HP or Dell, you call HP or Dell, not Microsoft. If YOU are the builder
(the OEM) of YOUR system, then YOU are the Tech Support Department
responsible for it. Not ASUS or Seagate - or Microsoft.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"RichM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, thanks. That all makes sense. There's a wide range of prices for
> this
> software. I see anywhere from $72 to $140. So even at $140 you don't get a
> retail box. I guess the only confusion is the term "Original Equipment
> Manufacturer." That sounds more like the company that made the disc and
> OS,
> but now I understand it's the company that uses the OS on their equipment,
> like Dell, Gateway, etc.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "S.SubZero" wrote:
>
>> 1. OEM is software intended for the PC maker to install, not end
>> users
>> 2. It doesn't come in a box because that is added expense the end
>> user will never see
>> 3. It is "the same" product in that it's functionally the same. for
>> 32-bit XP, the OEM and retail do not share the same keys, so there are
>> OEM keys and retail keys. With XP64 this is not an issue, as XP64 is
>> *only* sold as an OEM product. There's no such thing as a boxed,
>> retail XP64.

Ken Triebold

You're right about the system builder being responsible for OS support on
OEM versions. I get most (all) of my support from forums like this one, so
the OEM version is not at much of a disadvantage in this area.

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Rich.
>
> As S.Subzero said, you don't get a box with the OEM version. If a system
> builder ordered 1,000 copies, he'd have a thousand boxes to throw away.
> :>( But the missing box explains only a small part of the price
> difference.
>
> The "bits" on the "generic" OEM disk are identical to the ones on the
> retail disk. The major OEMs (Dell, Gateway) often add custom drivers,
> splash screens and other touches, but the operating system itself should
> be identical. The big difference is in the licensing - and the support.
> The OEM versions are much less expensive because of volume discounts AND
> because they do not come with support by Microsoft. The OE Manufacturer
> assumes the burden of support. If you have a problem with the Windows
> pre-installed on your HP or Dell, you call HP or Dell, not Microsoft. If
> YOU are the builder (the OEM) of YOUR system, then YOU are the Tech
> Support Department responsible for it. Not ASUS or Seagate - or
> Microsoft.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "RichM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Okay, thanks. That all makes sense. There's a wide range of prices for
>> this
>> software. I see anywhere from $72 to $140. So even at $140 you don't get
>> retail box. I guess the only confusion is the term "Original Equipment
>> Manufacturer." That sounds more like the company that made the disc and
>> OS,
>> but now I understand it's the company that uses the OS on their
>> equipment,
>> like Dell, Gateway, etc.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> "S.SubZero" wrote:
>>
>>> 1. OEM is software intended for the PC maker to install, not end
>>> users
>>> 2. It doesn't come in a box because that is added expense the end
>>> user will never see
>>> 3. It is "the same" product in that it's functionally the same. for
>>> 32-bit XP, the OEM and retail do not share the same keys, so there are
>>> OEM keys and retail keys. With XP64 this is not an issue, as XP64 is
>>> *only* sold as an OEM product. There's no such thing as a boxed,
>>> retail XP64.

RichM

Okay, thanks. Makes even more sense now. Support on these boards is typically
as good or better than what you get if you call tech support at the big
vendors and less annoying (you odn't have to repeat your service tag #,
address, etc. etc.). There is a wide range of prices for the OS online and
that's a good thing.

Thanks again.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Rich.
>
> As S.Subzero said, you don't get a box with the OEM version. If a system
> builder ordered 1,000 copies, he'd have a thousand boxes to throw away.
> :>( But the missing box explains only a small part of the price difference.
>
> The "bits" on the "generic" OEM disk are identical to the ones on the retail
> disk. The major OEMs (Dell, Gateway) often add custom drivers, splash
> screens and other touches, but the operating system itself should be
> identical. The big difference is in the licensing - and the support. The
> OEM versions are much less expensive because of volume discounts AND because
> they do not come with support by Microsoft. The OE Manufacturer assumes the
> burden of support. If you have a problem with the Windows pre-installed on
> your HP or Dell, you call HP or Dell, not Microsoft. If YOU are the builder
> (the OEM) of YOUR system, then YOU are the Tech Support Department
> responsible for it. Not ASUS or Seagate - or Microsoft.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "RichM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Okay, thanks. That all makes sense. There's a wide range of prices for
> > this
> > software. I see anywhere from $72 to $140. So even at $140 you don't get a
> > retail box. I guess the only confusion is the term "Original Equipment
> > Manufacturer." That sounds more like the company that made the disc and
> > OS,
> > but now I understand it's the company that uses the OS on their equipment,
> > like Dell, Gateway, etc.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "S.SubZero" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. OEM is software intended for the PC maker to install, not end
> >> users
> >> 2. It doesn't come in a box because that is added expense the end
> >> user will never see
> >> 3. It is "the same" product in that it's functionally the same. for
> >> 32-bit XP, the OEM and retail do not share the same keys, so there are
> >> OEM keys and retail keys. With XP64 this is not an issue, as XP64 is
> >> *only* sold as an OEM product. There's no such thing as a boxed,
> >> retail XP64.

DP

You've gotten some good responses. However, I would add one caveat in the
form of a question:
Who is the retailer for this product?
A company like Newegg can be trusted. Not a plug, just my experience. I'm
sure others on the group can suggest other vendors for OEM (and maybe they
should).
However, you need to be aware of the numerous scam artists out there, like
those who sell Photoshop for $9 or or Office for $29 or something like that,
claiming it's OEM. It would take forever here to try to give you tips as to
how to tell the legitimate vendors who sell OEM products and those scam
artists.
You might also look at the list of suggested vendors at planetamd64.com .

"RichM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I saw online an ad for XP Pro x64 and it says, "No Retail Box (OEM)". The
> price is way below many other sites. In plain english, can someone explain
> what OEM means in this context? I know it stands for Original Equipment
> Manufacturer, but
> 1) what does it mean,
> 2) why doesn't come in the box, and
> 3) is it the same as more expensive products that do come in a retail box?
>
> I look forward to a simple and understandable explanation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Here's the link if anyone is interested
> http://software.pricegrabber.com/win...n/skd=1/qlty=o

Mark

While I don't have any real issues with OEM, please keep the following in
mind:

1. If buying on-line, make sure it is a reputable dealer.
Look at the disk carefully before you install.
I've ended up with someone's VOLUME license instead of an OEM license
and that only leads to trouble.
Some "vendors" sell you their already activated OEM license.
2. OEM can only be installed on one machine.
Once activated, do not plan on any upgrades to the motherboard or
processor.
Other upgrades will typically require a phone call with a person to
re-activate.
You cannot uninstall and move the product to another computer.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OD%(E-Mail Removed)...

> You've gotten some good responses. However, I would add one caveat in the
> form of a question:
> Who is the retailer for this product?
> A company like Newegg can be trusted. Not a plug, just my experience. I'm
> sure others on the group can suggest other vendors for OEM (and maybe they
> should).
> However, you need to be aware of the numerous scam artists out there, like
> those who sell Photoshop for $9 or or Office for $29 or something like

that,
> claiming it's OEM. It would take forever here to try to give you tips as

> how to tell the legitimate vendors who sell OEM products and those scam
> artists.
> You might also look at the list of suggested vendors at planetamd64.com .
>

> "RichM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I saw online an ad for XP Pro x64 and it says, "No Retail Box (OEM)".

The
> > price is way below many other sites. In plain english, can someone

explain
> > what OEM means in this context? I know it stands for Original Equipment
> > Manufacturer, but
> > 1) what does it mean,
> > 2) why doesn't come in the box, and
> > 3) is it the same as more expensive products that do come in a retail

box?

> > I look forward to a simple and understandable explanation.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Here's the link if anyone is interested

http://software.pricegrabber.com/win...n/skd=1/qlty=o

Colin Barnhorst

The main differences between OEM copies and retail copies of any Windows is
the license and upgrade functionality. An OEM license grants the right to
install on one machine (not transferrable to a new machine later) and an OEM
cd is designed for installing the Windows as a new OS (upgrading is
blocked). If are putting together a new machine and understand that another
new machine later will require a new copy of Windows for it, then OEM is how
you might go.

Of course XP Pro x64 is only OEM so any copy you buy will not be
transferrable to a new machine. Given the low price compared to what a
retail box would cost you, you can afford three OEM copies for the same
money it would have cost you to get a retail edition if they were made so
having to buy another one for a later machine is not deal-breaker.

btw, the reason it is only OEM is that there is no way it can be sold as a
standalone item in a place like Best Buy due to the situation with devices
and drivers at the time x64 went Gold (2005). For that reason MS decided to
put it in the hands of system builders because they would ensure that
everything worked before shipping a machine. An impulse purchaser in a
retail store would be in over his head and his printer, modem, etc. would
not work. This would be very bad PR for MS and real disservice to the
consumer.

"RichM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I saw online an ad for XP Pro x64 and it says, "No Retail Box (OEM)". The
> price is way below many other sites. In plain english, can someone explain
> what OEM means in this context? I know it stands for Original Equipment
> Manufacturer, but
> 1) what does it mean,
> 2) why doesn't come in the box, and
> 3) is it the same as more expensive products that do come in a retail box?
>
> I look forward to a simple and understandable explanation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Here's the link if anyone is interested
> http://software.pricegrabber.com/win...n/skd=1/qlty=o

Tony Harding

DP wrote:

> You've gotten some good responses. However, I would add one caveat in
> the form of a question:
> Who is the retailer for this product?
> A company like Newegg can be trusted. Not a plug, just my experience.
> I'm sure others on the group can suggest other vendors for OEM (and
> maybe they should).

I bought my copy of x64 from Cietdirect, received a CD and product key
which activated without a problem. They were on the cheaper side of
prices, i.e., $88.

http://www.cietdirect.com/product_sp...php?s=1&id=163