Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Researching legality of copying out of print DVD

Researching legality of copying out of print DVD

johnebullock@gmail.com

How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

Bruce Probst

On Dec 14, 6:22 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
> cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

Unless the DVD in question has been specifically and explicitly
released to the public domain (highly unlikely), or it's over 70-
something years old (impossible), then it is not legal to make a copy,
period. (Unless you *already* own the DVD, and you're just making a
*backup* copy for your own use. And even the legality of that may
vary depending on where you live.)

No, it doesn't matter that you don't intend to sell it, or make any
profit from it in any way. It's still illegal.

The likelihood of you being *prosecuted* is, of course, a different
matter altogether.

Bruce
Melbourne, Australia

Tarkus

Bruce Probst wrote:
> On Dec 14, 6:22 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
>> cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

> Unless the DVD in question has been specifically and explicitly
> released to the public domain (highly unlikely), or it's over 70-
> something years old (impossible), then it is not legal to make a copy,
> period. (Unless you *already* own the DVD, and you're just making a
> *backup* copy for your own use. And even the legality of that may
> vary depending on where you live.)
>
> No, it doesn't matter that you don't intend to sell it, or make any
> profit from it in any way. It's still illegal.
>
> The likelihood of you being *prosecuted* is, of course, a different
> matter altogether.

Yeah, even though it's out of print, the copyright holder still holds
the distribution rights, and there's always the chance they'll place it
back into print. But even if they don't, what you said.

Netmask

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
> cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

what is the title?

johnebullock@gmail.com

On Dec 13, 5:49 pm, "Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
> > cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

> what is the title?

Brian Jacques' Mattimeo - A Tale of Redwall: Season Two

Brian Jacques' Martin the Warrior - A Tale of Redwall: Season Three

My kids love Redwall.

Netmask

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 13, 5:49 pm, "Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
>> > cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

>> what is the title?

> Brian Jacques' Mattimeo - A Tale of Redwall: Season Two
>
> Brian Jacques' Martin the Warrior - A Tale of Redwall: Season Three
>
> My kids love Redwall.

Seems to be in the 'collectors' category going by price..... do you have DVD
lending libraries in your country? that would be another lead.

http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Jacques-.../dp/B000ENUKQC