Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > long distance lan, OT

long distance lan, OT

Roedy Green

What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
but one of the stations were 100 meters away?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Owen Jacobson

On Dec 13, 10:47 am, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
> but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

100m is the specced maximum segment length for a single run of
category 5 UTP cable, so all you really need is two shorter runs that
add up to 100m and some sort of repeater to connect them (a switch or
hub will do nicely).

For wireless, get a directional antenna. Depending on the amount of
gain you need they can be had for $30 or so up to $300 or so.

Knute Johnson

Owen Jacobson wrote:
> On Dec 13, 10:47 am, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
>> but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

> 100m is the specced maximum segment length for a single run of
> category 5 UTP cable, so all you really need is two shorter runs that
> add up to 100m and some sort of repeater to connect them (a switch or
> hub will do nicely).
>
> For wireless, get a directional antenna. Depending on the amount of
> gain you need they can be had for $30 or so up to $300 or so.

That's what I would suggest but odds are that it will still work at
wireless or better speeds on the 300m cable. You can always buy 300m of
cable and try it .

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Owen Jacobson wrote:

> On Dec 13, 10:47 am, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
> > but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

> 100m is the specced maximum segment length for a single run of
> category 5 UTP cable, so all you really need is two shorter runs that
> add up to 100m and some sort of repeater to connect them (a switch or
> hub will do nicely).

He said it's 100m away, wouldn't just a cable suffice, given it was well
protected/isolated?

> For wireless, get a directional antenna. Depending on the amount of
> gain you need they can be had for $30 or so up to $300 or so.

If this distance is outside, definately consider this, because lightning
might strike closeby any wiring.
--
Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Op3racional
www.op3racional.eu

Gordon Beaton

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:47:09 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:
> What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
> but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

At that distance I'll guess the endpoints are in separate buildings.
Connecting separately grounded equipment together with shielded cable
that way could cause you no end of grief due to ground loops unless
you know what you're doing. A simple way to avoid that is optical
cable or wireless.

I'm not an expert, but have seen this discussed in other forums.

/gordon

Roedy Green

someone who said :

>What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
>but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

I have recorded what I learned at
http://mindprod.com/bgloss/ethernet.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Jeff Higgins

Roedy Green wrote
> What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
> but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

From Cisco online documentation:
Internetworking Technology Handbook
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/index.htm>
Internetwork Design Guide
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/index.htm>
Internetwork Troubleshooting Handbook
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/itg_v1/index.htm>
Internetworking Terms and Acronyms
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ita/index.htm>
Cisco Documentation Home
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm>

From IEEE:
IEEE 802(R) LAN/MAN Standards for free download
<http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/portfolio.html>