Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype question

Skype question

Suzy

Is this the right newsgroup?

I have installed skype.

1 Do I need to explicitly load it each time I am working at the computer,
or is it automatically running in the background?

2 Is it hungry for memory resources, ie could it explain why my other
programs seem to hang up now?

3 How is a ring signalled? How would I know if someone was calling me? (I
have no special handset. Just headset and mic.)

4 Are there inexpensive handsets with some sort of ringer is it that by
loudspeaker on the (laptop)?

Thanks all. In Australia.

cybuerke

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this the right newsgroup?

Yup

> I have installed skype.

Nobody's perfect

> 1 Do I need to explicitly load it each time I am working at the computer,
> or is it automatically running in the background?

Tell it what you want it to do (Read the words.)

> 2 Is it hungry for memory resources, ie could it explain why my other
> programs seem to hang up now?

Is it using you as a super node?

> 3 How is a ring signalled? How would I know if someone was calling me? (I
> have no special handset. Just headset and mic.)

Gong noise by defaault I think, but you can change it. You'd hear it
gonging.

> 4 Are there inexpensive handsets with some sort of ringer is it that by
> loudspeaker on the (laptop)?

Not inexpensive, but it's your money - your call.

> Thanks all. In Australia.

G'day...

Brian A

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 05:00:55 +1100, "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote:

>Is this the right newsgroup?
>
>I have installed skype.
>
>1 Do I need to explicitly load it each time I am working at the computer,
>or is it automatically running in the background?
>
>2 Is it hungry for memory resources, ie could it explain why my other
>programs seem to hang up now?
>
>3 How is a ring signalled? How would I know if someone was calling me? (I
>have no special handset. Just headset and mic.)
>
>4 Are there inexpensive handsets with some sort of ringer is it that by
>loudspeaker on the (laptop)?
>
>Thanks all. In Australia.

The problem in Australia, due, in my opinion, to the incompetence of
Helen Coonan and the Howard government in general, is that you will be
paying a premium for broadband whether it be metered or unmetered -
particularly if you are unlucky enough to be using Telstra. Let's hope
that Kevin Rudd sorts it all out soon. You could check out
whirlpool.net.au for a better deal possibly.
If you are metered then I would beware of Skype. I have friends in NZ
and they noticed how quickly their allowance was eaten up by
Skype.Your computer. can quite easily be used as a supernode.
I have it on my computer but I only fire it up if I want to join
someone who has requested I contact them on Skype - that is fairly
rare.
You can get handsets that connect to USB, for Skype. Reports on here
haven't been too favourable in regard to sound quality. There are
adaptors that you can connect to USB and then connect an ordinary
analogue phone to it. An example is here:-
http://tinyurl.com/yw6aws
You don't say why you want to use Skype. I am aware that, if you are
using Telstra, for example, rather like out BT in the UK you will be
paying a lot to call inter-state. You may want to use Skype because
you think that it is cheap. Think again!
If you, instead, use SIP VoIP you'll find it much cheaper and you do
not need to have a computer switched on. Instead you use a small
adapter (ATA - Analogue Telephone Adapter) connected to your router.
You can buy an ATA yourself - you can get advice here if you ask...I'd
say the Linksys SPA-3102 which you would run just as an ATA as the
router part is not compatible with most (except possibly Optus)
operators in Australia as it uses PPoE. The SPA-3102 will seamlessly
integrate your landline and VoIP calls to a single set of handsets -
a cordless set is easiest to implement of course.
Alternatively you can get a 'locked' ATA. That means you have to use
the provider it is locked to.
mynetfone.com.au does some free or very cheap ATAs that are locked to
their service. Also check out pennytel.com (NOT .com.au)
The advantage of the locked ATAs is that they are largely ready set up
for you. The disadvantage is that, like Skype, you are tied to one
provider for all your VoIP calls. However, you will find the providers
I have mentioned to be good value. Checkout the Whirlpool site and
here for more info.
Note that some ATAs, for providers will be locked and some not. You
will have to enquire if you are in doubt. They will usually be set up
to their service I would think, or there will be a guide on their
site.
And to finish 'Wish I was there !', it is too cold here for me and I'd
much prefer to live in Oz even if the broadband is crap - it will get
better soon

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

JW

Suzy wrote:
> Is this the right newsgroup?
>
> I have installed skype.

There are forums on the Skype web-site. Most on this ng are
a bit hostile to Skype.

> 1 Do I need to explicitly load it each time I am working at the computer,
> or is it automatically running in the background?

Your choice. If it's running, you can exit from the icon on
the system tray.

> 2 Is it hungry for memory resources, ie could it explain why my other
> programs seem to hang up now?

Maybe during a call. Are you using video? The processes
running on my PC right now amount to 60 Mbyte.

A few Skype clients may become "supernodes" handling
requests from other users, but I should think it most
unlikely this could happen to a laptop.

> 3 How is a ring signalled? How would I know if someone was calling me? (I
> have no special handset. Just headset and mic.)

Ring-tones can be customised in "Tools-Options-Sounds"

> 4 Are there inexpensive handsets with some sort of ringer is it that by
> loudspeaker on the (laptop)?
>
> Thanks all. In Australia.

Generally, the laptop has to be on to use the service,
though there are some external telephone devices with Skype
clients built in.

Brian A

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:08:53 +0000, JW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Suzy wrote:
>> Is this the right newsgroup?
>>
>> I have installed skype.
>>

>There are forums on the Skype web-site. Most on this ng are
>a bit hostile to Skype.
>
>> 1 Do I need to explicitly load it each time I am working at the computer,
>> or is it automatically running in the background?
>>

>Your choice. If it's running, you can exit from the icon on
>the system tray.
>
>> 2 Is it hungry for memory resources, ie could it explain why my other
>> programs seem to hang up now?

>Maybe during a call. Are you using video? The processes
>running on my PC right now amount to 60 Mbyte.
>
>A few Skype clients may become "supernodes" handling
>requests from other users, but I should think it most
>unlikely this could happen to a laptop.

That is like saying that if you are British you can get a disease but
if you are French you can not.
If that laptop is running the same operating system with the same
security as a desktop computer then there will be no difference in
it's susceptibility to being a supernode or anything else.
Why do you think that a laptop computer will be treated any
differently than a desktop computer?

>> 3 How is a ring signalled? How would I know if someone was calling me? (I
>> have no special handset. Just headset and mic.)
>>

>Ring-tones can be customised in "Tools-Options-Sounds"
>
>> 4 Are there inexpensive handsets with some sort of ringer is it that by
>> loudspeaker on the (laptop)?
>>
>> Thanks all. In Australia.

>Generally, the laptop has to be on to use the service,
>though there are some external telephone devices with Skype
>clients built in.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

JohnW

Brian A, in article <rsthm39hl9d0uo8ce9l0oim69s80vmaai9@
4ax.com>, says...

>If that laptop is running the same operating system with the same
>security as a desktop computer then there will be no difference in
>it's susceptibility to being a supernode or anything else.
>Why do you think that a laptop computer will be treated any
>differently than a desktop computer?

Agreed - I cured a "my laptop fan is always on now" problem by
removing unused(!) Skype software...
--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.

JW

Brian A wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:08:53 +0000, JW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Suzy wrote:
>>> Is this the right newsgroup?
>>>
>>> I have installed skype.
>>>

>> There are forums on the Skype web-site. Most on this ng are
>> a bit hostile to Skype.
>>
>>> 1 Do I need to explicitly load it each time I am working at the computer,
>>> or is it automatically running in the background?
>>>

>> Your choice. If it's running, you can exit from the icon on
>> the system tray.
>>
>>> 2 Is it hungry for memory resources, ie could it explain why my other
>>> programs seem to hang up now?

>> Maybe during a call. Are you using video? The processes
>> running on my PC right now amount to 60 Mbyte.
>>
>> A few Skype clients may become "supernodes" handling
>> requests from other users, but I should think it most
>> unlikely this could happen to a laptop.

> That is like saying that if you are British you can get a disease but
> if you are French you can not.
> If that laptop is running the same operating system with the same
> security as a desktop computer then there will be no difference in
> it's susceptibility to being a supernode or anything else.
> Why do you think that a laptop computer will be treated any
> differently than a desktop computer?

a. It tends to move around between Wi-Fi hot spots
b. It is almost always connected via a NATted router
c. It's more likely to be shut down after use rather than
left running

Salvador Freemanson

cybuerke wrote:
>> 2 Is it hungry for memory resources, ie could it explain why my other
>> programs seem to hang up now?

> Is it using you as a super node?

How can you tell?

> G'day...