Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Can PIM-dense mode and PIM sparse Mode exchange routing relatedinformation

Can PIM-dense mode and PIM sparse Mode exchange routing relatedinformation

harish.t@subexworld.com

Hi all,

I have a query related to exchanging roting information.

Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change
it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

pcmccollum@N0SPAMgmail.com

On Dec 13, 1:30 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a query related to exchanging roting information.
>
> Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change
> it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
> mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

Harish,

Good question. I think the answer can differ, depending on how you
migrate. You'll probably want to lab it up and experiment with
different ways to migrate (some routers in dense or sparse-only, some
routers with an interface in dense and another in sparse, etc..). Let
us know how it goes.

neteng
http://blog.humanmodem.com

bthetford

On Dec 13, 2:30 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a query related to exchanging roting information.
>
> Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change
> it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
> mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

What about sparse-dense mode, during migration?
Methinks that will take care of it for you.

AFAIK, the multicast routing table is the multicast routing table - ie
it doesn't matter if it's sparse or dense - it should all be there.
sho ip mroute

On Dec 19, 8:47 pm, bthetford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2:30 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,

> > I have a query related to exchanging roting information.

> > Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change
> > it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
> > mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

> What about sparse-dense mode, during migration?
> Methinks that will take care of it for you.
>
> AFAIK, the multicast routing table is the multicast routing table - ie
> it doesn't matter if it's sparse or dense - it should all be there.
> sho ip mroute

After thinking about this more, I don't think it will be to big of an
issue. Without the 'no ip pim dm-fallback' command configured, sparse
mode will fall back to dense mode when an RP isn't reachable. So you
might want to wait to bring your RP online until everyone is
configured in sparse mode. Just a thought.

neteng
http://blog.humanmodem.com